1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Riding North Carolina, TN and VA

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Extremenc, Jan 23, 2017.

1. cleanerman

cleanerman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Still a little early for color but the corn is ready in East Tennessee 20201015_145911.jpg 20201015_145609.jpg
  2. jethrocephus

jethrocephus His Honorable Right Minister of Flying Monkeys Supporter

Oddometer:
    1D621996-CB25-45E7-9A5B-5D02DE70F1A3.jpeg

2981376E-AA62-4C4E-AC50-A4BF01210E4C.jpeg

B3880A23-E12D-49CE-A358-965DC600C9DB.jpeg

Ashe County, I think. Could be Watauga, where most of my riding is anyway.
  3. Salth2ofish

Salth2ofish Long timer

Oddometer:
    jethrocephus, JRowland and dp064 like this.
  4. dp064

dp064 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

Great shots!
    Don
    justBert and JRowland like this.
  5. Salth2ofish

Salth2ofish Long timer

Oddometer:
    justBert, dp064 and JRowland like this.
  6. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’m heading up to Mountain View motorcycle campground this weekend. Apparently there is a tw200 rally going on. I’m gonna check it out just for shits and giggles on my Chinese bike.

Charles.
  7. JRowland

JRowland reaching for the sky Supporter

Oddometer:
    justBert, jethrocephus and dp064 like this.
  8. tireatr

tireatr Let's go for a ride

Oddometer:
    Pics from WV/KY

Attached Files:

9. JRowland

Oddometer:
    Great shots, that’s a fun looking machine!
    justBert likes this.
  10. tireatr

tireatr Let's go for a ride

Oddometer:
    Picked it up in Feb, did the suspension adjustments to fit my Sasquatch size and now it’s my new obsession. More Off road oriented tires planned this winter.
    justBert and JRowland like this.
  11. JRowland

Oddometer:
    Hanging the ass out on some gravel sounds lovely. Bad things would happen to me if I ever had something like that in my garage. I have to control my habits by owning slower machines, I have issues :-) Good for you for having enough self control to still have a license.
    justBert, klaviator and Amphib like this.
  12. dp064

Oddometer:
    Bad things would happen to me if I ever had something like that in my garage. I have to control my habits by owning slower machines, I have issues :-)

You're probably right, I've seen you on a Grom.. :lol3
    Rusty Rocket, klaviator and JRowland like this.
  13. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    Fantastic ride yesterday. I really haven't done much riding this summer locally so it was nice to finally get out with a buddy I haven't seen in a while. I realized that I hadn't hit Bent creek yet this year, so started there, rode all that gravel to 215, up and over to cataloochee main entrance, turnpike to Harmon den exit on I40. Given our late start, there wasn't much time to ride on into Martha, so headed home on the slab.

I've ridden all that before, but never put it into that particular loop, it was about 200 miles from my door back to door. I'll get out earlier next time and include Martha Sundquist and Max Patch. Makes for a pretty epic 50/50 bdr style day trip.

Lots of folks out yesterday, but most people let us by..... Until cataloochee. It was a shit show until the turnpike. I'm generally a pretty courteous driver/rider but I have to tell on myself, that I got my inner squid on. It was bumper to bumper of slow moving out of state tags going both ways. It looked obvious that nobody had mountain driving experience and people got very very angry getting passed. :lol3 I've never gotten cursed, flipped off, yelled at more in my entire life. People would deliberately try to cut us off, nobody would pull over or stop to let us by, so had to take matters into my own hands.:lol3
    I guess I ruined a bunch of people's day. I don't think any of them understand how difficult it is to ride those roads at a half a mile an hour stopping every 10 feet.

Anyway turned right onto old cataloochee turnpike and it was smooth sailing.

We were either talking or riding and I wasn't even thinking about taking pictures. The colors and light was just beautiful. Only pic I took.....

20201017_162246.jpg
  14. JRowland

Oddometer:
    ^^^ shit show is a great descriptor. Daph and I took the car with the goal being an easy hike.

CB3E35E3-20D0-48E5-96DB-C91ABFC3BADC.jpeg

189ED57C-B8DD-403E-8BCD-6F80CA8B60DB.jpeg

837BC904-11CF-4BFC-9DF1-BEF334975AF2.jpeg
  15. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    In all my travels, I don't think there's another valley that strikes me like that one does. I can imagine the settlers coming through going, um yeah, we're stopping here.

All the hikes in that area are amazing. I need to dig up my pictures from those hikes. The ghost town is epic.

I wanted to take my buddy to see the elk, he hasn't been through there, but I just have no patience for crowds.
    dp064 and JRowland like this.
  16. JRowland

Oddometer:
    I don’t either, I had to focus on my safe space yesterday so I didn’t just explode and ruin her afternoon. I don’t mind crowds, what I do mind are dumb, ignorant people. Unfortunately crowds always seem to contain a high percentage of those type. Yesterday was my first time in the back fields in over a year. The stream turned that road into a stream at some point, that’s why it’s closed. It’s gonna take a lot of material to make it car worthy again.

I was looking for the answer to something (I forget) recently and came across this.

https://mysmokymountainguide.com/gsmnp/cataloochee-valley/
  17. PineyMountainRacing

PineyMountainRacing Oops....

Oddometer:
    ^ nice
    justBert, dp064 and JRowland like this.
  18. Jeathrow Bowdean

Jeathrow Bowdean Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got a chance too do a one year trip across the Americas,,,

2 X's from coast too across Canada,,, twice across the USA,,, I enjoyed North Carolina and Virginia along with lots of other States...

Its all about the mountains when Im travelling...
    The Smokey Mountains and the Appalachian range...

Our play ground in our Canuck-a-stan resembles those areas once in a while...

Mist in the foot hills as it drifts threw the dark Green Trees giving it a Blue-ish tint...
    20200620_134935.jpg

Or the Golden Fall colors of distance that run for 100's of miles in every direction
    20200918_123441.jpg

Of course we have the back drop of the Rocky Mountain Range that bumps up against the foot hills...
    20200911_114905.jpg

Lots of little lakes in the lower valleys
    20200816_121931.jpg

They say that our area is the viewing capital of Western Canada,,, from the endless miles of flat prairie lands,,, rolly football hills,,, endless mountains and the bad lands...

You can see all of it in 1 day if a person stays on the throttle...

Heres a snap shot of 00000.01%

20200822_100604.jpg
    20200909_191850.jpg

20200925_110745.jpg

A sight too behold...
    20200530_111026.jpg

My travels has allowed me too find those distance places close too home,,, I'm very grateful too of had that chance too see it in your folks area so I can hopefully find it in ours...

Who would of thought that small pockets in your folks area would be in the far reaches of the North...

Thanks so much for this spectacular thread all...

Yes,,, a picture is worth 1000 words...

The top of the world is where I remain as I find the thunder in the valleys below...

Pal J.T.
  19. GlennR

GlennR Chasin' my tail

Oddometer:
    That converted 10-speed must be a heck of a lot faster than it looks! :hmmmmm

(Great pics.)
  20. dp064

Oddometer:
    That link is a great read!
    Don