Riding North Carolina, TN and VA

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Extremenc, Jan 23, 2017.

1. B-Mac

B-Mac Aged Beef Supporter

Oddometer:
    250 miles of left/right/up/down forest service roads and stripes of curvy asphalt connectors. Avg. moving speed 33.8 zzzzzzzz. My ass is beat. Made it to Franklin, NC. Froze my ass a little in the am climbing up to the lookout. Great day.
    one close call with a bear hunter P/U on a blind corner on the mountain. No deer or bear in my way. Nothing difficult, just mental tired from concertation. One wrong move and it's over the drop off.
    Stats: 253.4mi. move avg: 33.8 total time: 9:40 TS: 94.7
    Attached Files:

2. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  3. BaldKnob

BaldKnob I Wanna Ride

Oddometer:
    My last ride down Old Furnace was when detouring a few years ago, due to an accident blocking access to the Cherohala. Road condition was poor with some nasty, deep washout sections that were difficult on a big trailie. Has this changed?
  4. justBert

justBert Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was on a Beta 390 so it was no drama but I think there was lots of surprises under the leaves that I would not have liked dealing with on a BIG bike.
    JRowland likes this.
  5. Gaston Gagne

Gaston Gagne Past Easy

Oddometer:
    You should hit the Crotch Rocket Yoga Rides. We stop at scenic overlooks at get our chakras aligned.
    kvango likes this.
  6. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    I won't clutter this thread with all my pics.

Since when are beautiful pictures considered clutter? :-) put all you want, as far as I am concerned
  7. kvango

kvango Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks @justBert ! Some awesome high mile rides (for me)! Riding was great, not always the best for pictures. Not a lot of pics taken (got a late start due a ‘tire change from hell’ complete with mystery liquid rubber in the front tire that vulcanized on contact with skin, and had to scrub down with gasoline . . . )

Map:
    4F286571-860B-4160-9116-004A7D07F105.png

DAY 2:
    Little bit of early morning Rain, but cleared up quickly. This would be a great big-bike route with a few challenging tracks. Very scenic! Although we only took one ‘wrong turn (but fun) ’ Duckett Ridge Rd dead ending to Unicoi Trail — off Fingerboard Rd - Bert’s paper maps are great for the overview but not always to scale. I have to remember when checking on the GPS to align North to map too!

Fingerboard Rd worth a ride, and if you are looking for pavement, Joe Brown is scenic and nice twisties.

Not a lot of pictures too, riding was great (and long). Here is the ‘hard copy’ with Relive (link at end). Can’t figure out how to post relive video directly to ADVRIDER without uploading to YouTube. ReLive also saves GPX file, and can review altitude/speed and overlay onto sat map.

STATELINE SOUTH OF TELLICO & CHEROHALA
    By KEVIN• Sunday • 150 mi motorcycling
    Recording starts under the Cherohala overpass.

0 mi
    [​IMG]
    Crossed paths with some riders from Memphis!

12.3 mi
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Checking out the trout fishing

25.1 mi
    [​IMG]
    Warming up on the Tennessee side.

39.7 mi
    [​IMG]
    Tellico Beach!

74.4 mi
    71 mph

82.4 mi
    [​IMG]
    Joe Brown- great for sport bikes!
    326D2236-B0B0-4450-B0C6-4FA9AA7CF15D.png
    ReLive: https://www.relive.cc/view/v4OGj5Le4mv

norton73, MaverickNC, dp064 and 7 others like this.
  8. kvango

kvango Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Definitely ok for an ADV big bike, a cruiser not so much. But I had a ‘road tester’ in front of me, so if Bert went down, I would know to slow down :photog (He never did!). Some of it is paved off 68.

Agreed! Awesome pics. Tellico side still has some color, higher elevations in NC looking closer to winter.
  9. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Since I had already posted them in my thread I didn't want to post them all again in another thread. I posted a link to my thread so anyone who wanted to see all the pics could just click on the link. It was something like 6 pages of pics!
  10. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    I checked it out earlier. Awesome color this year. Beautiful pictures
  11. JRowland

JRowland reaching for the sky Supporter

Oddometer:
    Awesome pics! Sorry I missed you, I did get the deck done at least.
    dp064, kvango and justBert like this.
  12. jfauerba

jfauerba Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anybody knows if Stony Fork (FS63) near craggy Gardens picnic are is open for sure?
    FS site states the follow but I don't trust them, called them and no answer and recording states to check the website for closure which is always out of date:
    Appalachian Ranger District: 828-689-9694
    • Stony Fork (63): Reopened 8/24/2020
  13. dp064

dp064 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    @B-Mac, are those R&G crash bars on your DL?
  14. B-Mac

B-Mac Aged Beef Supporter

Oddometer:
    No, Standard Suzuki OEM bars.
    dp064 likes this.
  15. JRowland

Oddometer:
    Left home at 9 yesterday and slabbed 70 miles to @justBert in Robbinsville.

DA85C6B4-A695-42CC-A68E-CAC423655034.jpeg
    I was finally going to get to see the dirt Cherohala :clap Bert and I met up with @justcountry04 at the intersection of North River Rd. and River Rd.

7966E090-B3D7-41D2-9C47-D43A0BCAA4E5.jpeg

Waucheesi Fire Tower

641350AD-AD17-4A4F-AFDB-CAA3F270E567.jpeg

This place serves up a good burger and chocolate shake! I’ve ridden and driven by on numerous occasions but I’ve always been too focused on the approaching task at hand to care about eating.

830A9556-3F2C-4F14-AAE1-A372F4FFE841.jpeg

After lunch we poured over some map and GPS info as well as some of @Baggi'tard awesome tracks. We decided that Seng Garden and Belcher Loop were must do’s so off we went. This was on Rafter Rd. after we explored.

55C096BF-5A49-4ACB-8C04-CCD5AF768A7B.jpeg

Bert and I took Citico towards the Dragon and @justcountry04 peeled off and headed back to the Farmhouse Inn. It was getting late in the afternoon so the exploring ended and the trek towards home via the fun way began.

Citico area

F5743D5B-C0CC-4994-BA91-3893F52B682A.jpeg

B652190A-E62B-4EA7-A532-7A4E3D1D46F0.jpeg

All over (almost) except the highway flog back home.

24777DC4-9804-427A-BEE0-7AE73707AC36.jpeg

This was my first time on any of the non paved roads and what an impressive riding area! The scenery was just stunning, there’s something magical to me about the western mountains. Great terrain with variety, great people to ride with, and great weather to ride. Thank you gentlemen for the opportunity to share some time doing something we love.

Attached Files:

16. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Josh, you just scratched the surface of the riding in that area. You could spend a week just riding within 25 miles of Tellico plains.
    justBert and JRowland like this.
  17. JRowland

Oddometer:
    That was the idea, I wanted to get an idea for time. I left home a 9 and returned at about 8 so it was time intensive just for a sniff. I think I was around 350 miles door to door. Well worth it though, I do know now I’ll plan on spending some nights at the Farmhouse Inn next year. That will solve that issue.
  18. BMWbikeh

BMWbikeh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the file.
    justBert and JRowland like this.
  19. justBert

justBert Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    @BaldKnob I'm revising my response on the condition of Old Furnace Rd, I had my roads mixed up. Old Furnace was no drama and would be no problem on most any bike with 50/50 tires.
    BaldKnob and JRowland like this.
  20. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    Great stuff! I just now rolled in to the house from 5 days in that area, camping and riding. I just missed you guys! I was through the citgo area on Monday. I rode to turtletown tn, through the national forests there, around Parksville lake, cohutta wilderness, then all around Tellico springs. I revisited my spring trip there and explored a bit more. Incredible area. Once I get settled I'll post a few pics.