Riding North Carolina, TN and VA

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Extremenc, Jan 23, 2017.

1. ronandkat

ronandkat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is good info, Thank you! Just trying to get somewhere different we havent seen , probably set up a base camp somewhere and do a long weekend! Thank you for the info!
    justBert and JRowland like this.
  2. SidewinderX

SidewinderX Hey, watch this! Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice!
    @kickstand72 running across the bridge a few years ago.

721979AD-571D-47B2-A977-5E9C371C1880.jpeg

dp064, CheapB, norton73 and 9 others like this.
  3. JRowland

JRowland reaching for the sky Supporter

Oddometer:
    dp064, CheapB, MaverickNC and 2 others like this.
  4. justBert

justBert Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Jmack- I'm just north of Robbinsville off 28 on the yellow route of the SM500. I did the TAT in 2018 and ride the 500 often. I'd be happy to share the local areas I ride. @ronandkat the offer is open to you as well, you guys just let me know when you plan to head this way and I may be able to help if you need a place to pitch a tent, park a truck and trailer or just need some local info.

Cheers!
    Bert
  5. kvango

kvango Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The benefits of a big bike! My little ‘berg would be swimmin’ with the fishes if I tried that . . .

Saturday was fantastic riding, retraced some of the routes I did with @justBert. If you are riding around the Cherohala/Robbinsville/Tellico areas, the road off Indian Boundary Rd > Doublecamp Creek Rd > (turns into) Cold Spring Rd > (right on) Citico Rd > LEFT up the hill at Jake Best Campground. This goes up and rides along the ridge back to Rafter Rd back to Cherohala. (Purple route). A few muddy spots along the way, but makes the ride interesting.

6F0AB8CC-8EDB-4223-A750-F809F49DEFA1.jpeg
    B13A9832-17AC-4E8C-954C-C511A694F008.jpeg

I then tried taking the ?432 that cuts off the Cherohala down to North River Rd. (You have to slip behind the guard rail). Hit a lot of Jeep traffic, then took a break then got stuck behind Jeeps — when they had to pull cable (winch) I turned around. This is a tough section, more difficult going this way then when we (me and @justBert)did it in November. - similar to Huffman/Squally especially when muddy.
    This was the easy part :photog
    08581135-CE04-435A-9428-6FDD11AF8237.jpeg

Traffic Jam :dirtdog

74447C01-8C9A-4539-B9F1-F2E3150FA0CB.jpeg

Sunday - did some property hunting . . .flew back from Asheville this morning (truck and bike there, so I’ll be back) If @justBert @JRowland (or anyone) is available, I’ll be back Saturday.
    — Kevin.

Note: This trail is not on GAIA, but on Bert’s map. It is east of Turkey Creek Rd, starts behind the rail. Cherohala to North River Rd.
    BD47B134-04C7-46C2-AFAA-432482426A28.jpeg
    dp064, norton73, klaviator and 4 others like this.
  6. jeffmackvision

jeffmackvision Boob man Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks Bert. Count on it when things warm up. I’ll be hitting you up! Would love to hear about your TAT run
    J
  7. ronandkat

ronandkat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bert, Thank you for that Offer, I think I will look you up when we get a little warmer weather. I need to get some rides scheduled, as me and my sons are in different states but we always manage a few good rides!
  8. justBert

justBert Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rusty Rocket and JRowland like this.
  9. tomcfitz

tomcfitz Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anyone riding the Rattler should keep an eye out for the "Spring Creek Tomato Company" Sign. Give it a honk as you drive by, my Grandfather lives about a mile up that dirt road! He found that sign underneath the early 1900's cabin he lived in for a couple years while building his house.

[​IMG]

Image is from this website: http://main.nc.us/springcreek/drivingtour.html

The route described is a large portion of the "Rattler" and the article was written by my Grandmother!
  10. JRowland

JRowland reaching for the sky Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice! I ride that road a lot, I've wondered if it was an active business. I'll be waving to your grandpa via the horn button from now on. He better not get pissed :D
  11. tomcfitz

tomcfitz Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    He used to HATE motorcycle season. Mostly cause of the large groups of Harleys with too loud exhausts and so on. But he's too deaf now to worry about it too much. Plus his favorite (only) grandson has a bike now, so he can't complain too much. I haven't visited him yet in the bike, but I have driven the Datsun there a few times and had a BLAST on 209.
    justBert, norton73 and JRowland like this.
  12. MTBRALPH

MTBRALPH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is a bit off topic. I am thinking about throwing the tent in the truck in the truck and driving up
    to Pisgah National Forest tomorrow. Are any of the fs roads off of 276 between Brevard and the parkway open?
    Would like to camp in one of the roadside sites and do a bit of hiking and photography.
    Thanks for
    Any info

Ralph
  13. jfauerba

jfauerba Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They were all open a couple of weeks ago. Forest service web site of road closing which is NOT updated regularly:
    https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/nfsnc/alerts-notices/?cid=fseprd529172
    Also roads in the area that is off of hwy 276, yellow gap (gate in middle but open on both ends, can go around but not sure leagally), 475, 475a, Avery's creek.
    Parkway is closed and probably will not open until March or April.
    Lots of hiking off the gravel roads.
    CheapB and JRowland like this.
  14. MTBRALPH

MTBRALPH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks!!
  15. AlH

AlH Long timer

Oddometer:
    Might want to check the forecast- winter storm advisory out for that area- snow and 20 temps.
    Maybe someone local could update you in real time.
  16. AUSTIN_221

AUSTIN_221 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Definitely going to have some nastiness there this weekend. My buddy lives in Asheville and he got a couple of inches. Avery Creek has a ton of stuff around there and is usually always open but can be sort of steep in parts if its covered in snow. I ride mountain bikes on all the trails around there pretty often.
    MTBRALPH likes this.
  17. jfauerba

Oddometer:
    Downtown and east Ashevile (where I live) got around an inch of snow but it is all gone in the past two hours. High is above freezing next several days. Hwy 276 is further suothwest and a little higher than Asheville so may have gotten more snow and not melted yet. About 2 weeks ago Bent Creek and Wash Creek roads had a thin slime of mud above and it was frozen underneath while all the other roads I mention earilier was in good shape.
  18. jeffmackvision

jeffmackvision Boob man Supporter

Oddometer:
    gonna bag my plans to ride tomorrow.... everything will just be too muddy. there will be better ride days soon. figures id get shut out as soon as I get my ride sorted
    Rusty Rocket likes this.
  19. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    Thursday looking good.
  20. jfauerba

Oddometer:
    Today yellow gap (about a mile from mills river campground) and wash creek (rode from mills river campground north to the T or Y where it intersects the other road) was closed.
    MaverickNC and JRowland like this.