Riding North Carolina, TN and VA

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Extremenc, Jan 23, 2017.

1. MTBRALPH

MTBRALPH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replies. I did go to the mountains and hike and camp above Graveyard flats. Weather was beautiful and after the first mile hiking up the parkway I was alone in paradise

For a slideshow: (large file, may work best to right click and download)
    Http://ralphhowey.com/ParkwaySnow.mp4
    zooomer, drumdog, AlH and 5 others like this.
  2. bykemike

bykemike "ready to navigate" Supporter

Oddometer:
    Graveyard Fields is always a big hit, so much to see in a place so easy to get to and navigate.

Last few years though has seen this place get to be a traffic jam most of the year. You were wise to go the weekend you did.

Thanks for the slideshow, really good work Ralph!
  3. JRowland

JRowland reaching for the sky Supporter

Oddometer:
    Beautiful pics Ralph, thanks for sharing :thumb
    Rusty Rocket likes this.
  4. jeffmackvision

jeffmackvision Boob man Supporter

Oddometer:
    That’s too notch Ralph. Well done.
    Can’t wait to get back on the bike and camp up there soon. BRP never gets old..... well , not til leaf peeper season that is.
    MTBRALPH likes this.
  5. jfauerba

jfauerba Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    FYI (first time I saw email for pisgah ranger district) got in an email day after (1/10) I road out to some of the roads and found out they were closed and not on website:
    Temporary Road Closures for Pisgah Ranger District
    Pisgah Forest, NC- January 11, 2011
    -The Pisgah Ranger District has temporarily closed several roads due to weather and road conditions.

The following Forest Service Roads (FSR) are temporarily closed until weather and road conditions improve:
    • Avery Creek FSR 477 (the upper portion, from the horse stable up to Hwy 276)
    • Yellow Gap FSR 1206
    • Headwaters FSR 475B
    • Wash Creek FSR 5000
    • Bent Creek FSR 479 (from Ledford Branch to Blue Ridge Parkway)
    • Pilot Mountain Road FSR 229
    • Courthouse Creek FSR 140
    On all Forest Service roads, emergency closures due to weather or resource conditions can occur at any time. For current road conditions and status, call the Pisgah Ranger District at 828-877-3265 or email at sm.fs.pisgahrd@usda.gov Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Website: https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/nfsnc/alerts-notices/?cid=fseprd529172
  6. kvango

kvango Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    (Flew back to Asheville Friday) The weekend weather stopped me (and @justBert and @JRowland ) from putting together a ride. Did some house hunting Saturday, then headed to Harmon Den — was stopped after the Horse lot, several vehicles stuck on the mountain.
    D7F7DC6B-CEC2-46B9-90BA-44BFACF0A379.jpeg
    Ended taking the road that goes through the lot (Josh led us down this in July) - and had a difficult time at last hill at the (Brown Gap) intersection (with center and rear diffs locked). Camped out at the gated road 100 yards back down the hill. “Campsite” -
    CF22799F-EDCF-4CAF-A7F0-6314C0DE32B0.jpeg

I saw two guys on KTM’s drive by on Sunday, so I gave it a try. That lasted for 100 yards or so, rear tire wanted to go everywhere but straight. :p3rry
    Curious if the KTM riding honda minivan drivers are inmates - what tires? The Odyssey bros:
    62B0733B-6BAF-4E9D-95A1-D63DCAA98FFE.jpeg
    Headed to Robbinsville - and was shut down at 81 (dirt Cherohala). My usual campsite closed. Headed over the Cherohala, 143/165 decent until coming down on the Tennessee side. Cherohala:
    F978F8A4-67F5-4CC7-91FF-C1C99C213264.jpeg

(Monday) Thought about riding the Hiawassee river area (free camping along Spring Creek Rd), but weather was crap, so continued some house hunting around Chattanooga - drove back to Flarida monday afternoon.

No riding or paddle boarding, but I did hike a small portion of Appalachian Trail - and snow camping — stunning!
    D90AFCAB-6417-41BF-AF97-A4E86AC06A54.jpeg

—- Kevin

@MTBRALPH - Nice photos! Makes me want to bring some x-country skis for the BRP . . . :hmmmmm
    :thumb
  7. JRowland

JRowland reaching for the sky Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great pics! I know you like to camp but know you are welcome here at my place anytime.
    kvango and justBert like this.
  8. 12bridn

12bridn I need throttle therapy

Oddometer:
    Oh god I hope not. Thats the Wilder Hwy. That's been on my to-do list for a while and this summer it was going to happen. Any news on that construction?
  9. StevieVVet

StevieVVet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You may be in luck. This was on the Tennessee DOT sight. There was a different section that washed out prior to this that was fresh pavement when I went thru. Western NC has had a lot of these road wash out problems also. Good luck, I was very disappointing when I tried to ride it.

FENTRESS AND OVERTON COUNTY SR-85 Emergency slide repairs at various locations: The contractor continues work on the Overton County side of SR-85 and the road remains closed from LM 17.5 to LM 22.2. This closure will remain in effect until the project completion scheduled for 09/30/20. The Fentress County portion of SR-85 remains open to through traffic. A detour route remains in place for Overton SR-85 and motorists are encouraged to continue using the detour route until the road is opened. Estimated project completion date is September 2020.
    12bridn likes this.
  10. 12bridn

Oddometer:
    Nice! I am very likely to be there two weekends from now and I will check it out. The start of my route I've been planning kinda revolved around d those 10 turns lol
  11. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    Please be sure to let us know what you find :thumb
    12bridn likes this.
  12. 12bridn

Oddometer:
    It seems the more I look at the upcoming weather, the worse it gets...I may be there but on 4 wheels.

I know its an old post, but is that guy 7 feet tall!?
  13. drumdog

drumdog it wasn't me ! Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Enjoyed the slideshow and the piano accompaniment. Who /what was that ? Thanks!
  14. MTBRALPH

MTBRALPH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    drumdog likes this.
  15. kvango

kvango Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone in the real estate business? Looking around Asheville to Waynesville - renovation property. PM me, don’t want to fill the thread with listing photos. Visited about 30 homes, a few possibilities. And a few :nah

Thanks Josh!
    — Kevin

My accommodations are fine so far, but will keep under consideration!
    E18F2DF7-EA82-4479-8426-948A9EA58849.jpeg A50CD190-32FC-4E2F-A1C7-1A70B316BB16.jpeg

Attached Files:

DCrider, klaviator, mikegc and 3 others like this.
  16. ZigzagguzzI

ZigzagguzzI Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cold feet!?
    kvango likes this.
  17. Rusty Rocket

Oddometer:
    Read that property description, I noticed "Squally Creek" mentioned in the directions. If memory serves me, that is a good tough route for "real" dirt bikes.
    JRowland likes this.
  18. kvango

kvango Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I skipped posting about that but didn't delete the pic. 69 acres 138k. If there are 138 inmates on here, for $1000 each we can own a piece of squally!

https://www.makethemountainshome.ne...ndex=2&lpp=20&total_listings=109&from=results

'dirt' bikes? Not much dirt on Squally :photog

IMG_4697.jpg

Property has to be right around here . . . might not have been listed back in July.
    IMG_4700.jpg
    edit: Those $85 viking bags don't hold up very well :bluduh
    Rusty Rocket and JRowland like this.
  19. Rusty Rocket

Oddometer:
    so is Squally Rd "private"? Can you ride it?
  20. 12bridn

Oddometer:
    Update on 85/Wilder Hwy. Super tight switchbacks,, very cool piece of road. Still closed but was passable . No evidence that the switchbacks are going away, but lots of construction on the east side still. Hope it gets fresh pavement all the way through as the grooves were terrible on knobs. I have a vid but need to cut it down and on YouTube. Ill do that when I get back to Ohio.

20210124_074547.jpg 20210124_074353.jpg 20210124_073918.jpg 20210124_074713.jpg 20210124_073340.jpg