Riding North Carolina, TN and VA

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Extremenc, Jan 23, 2017.

1. tireatr

tireatr Let's go for a ride

Oddometer:
    Best times to go are mid weekdays before Memorial Day and after Labor Day.
    strommonster and ZigzagguzzI like this.
  2. JRowland

JRowland reaching for the sky Supporter

Oddometer:
    Had a couple hours free, ran Max Patch to Cold Springs to 40. The low water bridge was covered, I surprisingly ran into friends there and chatted but didn’t get a picture.

BB279E81-FD73-4140-BDD6-6D2C65E2BED7.jpeg

B00AFDD8-DAAB-48BF-BC1D-61F33B88BC86.jpeg

AC470B53-E176-4FC7-A78B-A112CE35E732.jpeg

EF0495FF-25C7-4CC7-A45E-B47D684B18D2.jpeg
  3. ncroadtoad

ncroadtoad No Use to Society Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very nice. I like that DR.
    Is there a good, secondary road route to get up to Max Patch/low water bridge area from Maggie Valley/Waynesville without taking I-40? I'd like to ride the Max Patch/Rattler loop in a couple months staying at BRMC. Also, JR I've seen you refer to "Martha" several times. What/where is that? Really enjoying this thread, I wish I was closer to the mountains. Thanks
    dp064 and JRowland like this.
  4. JRowland

Oddometer:
    Martha Sundquist State Forest, it is a chunk of land just over the TN border by Max Patch the place. It used to be owned by Champion Paper but they sold it to the state. Here’s how I usually get in, either the beginning of this “route” or the end. The loop in the upper right shows the outline of Martha. Plenty of space to play there and there’s more close to Hartford TN.

Ignore the straight lines and the mileage, I can’t figure out how to get those vectors or whatever they’re called out of these GPX tracks.

Attached Files:

dp064, BMWbikeh, ncroadtoad and 3 others like this.
  5. ncroadtoad

ncroadtoad No Use to Society Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you JR, It looks like you use the Old Chataloochee Turnpike. Is that route generally open or is it subject to the typical, occasional FS closures?
  6. SR1

SR1 Going to America!!!!

Oddometer:
    That is something I'm interested in too. I was going to ride it earlier (late last year I guess) and I could see the FS said the Chataloochee Turnpike "Entrance Road" was closed due to ice. But... that specific road shows up on Google Maps at a location that I was not going.. (the "Chataloochee Turnpike Entrance Road" is at the far south of the Chataloochee area) and I was going to enter the area off of the I-40 exit at the low water crossing. That road is NOT labeled "Chataloochee Turnpike Entrance Road" but just "Chataloochee Turnpike". So, can I enter at I-40 and go south and just not take the half-mile "entrance road" that shows up in Google Maps at the South end of the area?
  7. JRowland

Oddometer:
    It's generally open, snow and/or ice will get it shut though. Starting on Max Patch Rd. is a sure thing and if you run that to Cold Springs Creek/FS 288 and back to Cataloochee Turnpike/Mount Sterling Rd. and look left at the intersection, if that gate is open then the one close to Cove Creek is open too.
    ncroadtoad and Amphib like this.
  8. JRowland

Oddometer:
    Last year there was construction closures as well, they were repairing a slide. So starting at Cove Creek Rd you can run the Old Cataloochee Turnpike which turns into Mount Sterling Rd. then TN 32 if you keep straight at Big Creek. About halfway through the turnpike/Mount Sterling Rd FS 288 intersects, this takes you by Buzzard Roost and to I40 at the Harmon Den exit and becomes Cold Springs Creek and eventually meets up with Max Patch Rd. That and Martha are laid out above. On the opposite side of I40 from the turnpike is Max Patch Rd which becomes Round Mountain Rd. and it runs parallel to Mount Sterling Rd. with FS 288 and a few other cross overs. The area in between all up and down (minus I40) has trails. And to clarify, I'm not sure what the entrance rd. is exactly but once you get into the gravel starting at Cove Creek Rd. after a few miles the "entrance" to Cataloochee (where the Elk hang out) splits off to the left but the turnpike keeps going straight. It's sort of hard to see but there is a sign. I hope this helped?
  9. JRowland

Oddometer:
    @SR1 here is a quick outline of what I was talking about. The end of TN 32 over to Round Mountain Rd. I let the app pick that route, Martha falls in that area as well as a bunch of other cool stuff. Lots of ways to skin a cat here.

Attached Files:

SR1, dp064 and ncroadtoad like this.
  10. SR1

SR1 Going to America!!!!

Oddometer:
    Follow this link and you'll see what I mean. When the FS says "Cataloochee Entrance Road" is closed, I wonder if it just means the section with that name (follow the link) or more of the Cataloochee Road? If I came all the way from Knox and the entire Turnpike was closed when the FS said "entrance road" I'd be kinda pissed.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/C...a5ba13c1e51189!8m2!3d35.6314225!4d-83.0880887
    JRowland likes this.
  11. JRowland

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that shows the entrance to Cataloochee (where the elk hang out). The turnpike goes past it. If you look where the dot is in the link you posted right near it is the other way out of Cataloochee back to the turnpike. It's gravel as well and passes the group campground. I like to at least cruise through and see any elk I can then head that way back to the turnpike. People live off of the Mount Sterling part of that road so it doesn't really close. If Cataloochee (not the ski slope) is closed they shut the gate right near FS 288 as well as the one near Cove Creek, the rest of everything stays open. The only "mistake" that costs some time is trying to get in from Cove Creek and finding the gate locked at the top. Otherwise there are ways around everything legally. Also on the map you linked if you look to the right of the mark they have a photo op tagged in blue they call Cataloochee Valley Overlook, that is where the turnpike splits off and continues towards Cosby if you don't turn to the park. If you follow it on the map you can see where the other road comes in from the park near the dot you marked.
    SR1 likes this.
  12. JRowland

Oddometer:
    Oh and this will screw up a plan as well

1F74EB1F-10A6-40B8-A4CB-5013177C709A.jpeg
    dp064, norton73, ncroadtoad and 2 others like this.
  13. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    Time for a Waterville loop! :lol3

I haven't been out much this year. But it's always good mentioning.... It might be nice and warn on one side of the mountain, but get to the other, and everything can change.

The bridge was dry this day, but...... 20200301_123554.jpg
    dp064, norton73, strommonster and 4 others like this.
  14. JRowland

Oddometer:
    Hope you haven't been out much because there's too much work! Maybe we'll finally cross paths this year?
    Amphib likes this.
  15. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    Yeah, work is crazy busy. This is the year man. I've got to drag my introverted ass out from under my rock and meet some of you good folks for real.
  16. SR1

SR1 Going to America!!!!

Oddometer:
    Yeah. The pic I saw on FB (yours?) didn't look so bad. This one does.
    JRowland likes this.
  17. CheapB

CheapB Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    we should all meet up and make @Extremenc buy us all lunch since he started this thread. :D
  18. jeffmackvision

jeffmackvision Boob man Supporter

Oddometer:
    Give me a day. I’m in
    CheapB and JRowland like this.
  19. JRowland

Oddometer:
    Finally knocked Green River Cove Rd. near Saluda off my bucket list yesterday. @klaviator and @knybanjo turned me on to it in a different thread last year and it's been on my to do list ever since, by luck a friend led us over it. Man what a fun little piece of pavement! No traffic so no pictures, I did take a couple elsewhere.

@Rusty Rocket got to enjoy it as well.

C9EF28D1-C35B-4B5E-8D98-06C46CC0A80B.jpeg

39C20AAF-A81F-497F-A488-C05D3FE35332.jpeg

F314759B-5D70-4B17-897B-E60FC6D82201.jpeg
    norton73, mf13368, mikegc and 5 others like this.
  20. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's been over 5 years since I last rode GRC Road. I need to get back over there this year.

Here's a couple of pics I took last time I rode it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]