Riding North Carolina, TN and VA

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Extremenc, Jan 23, 2017.

1. bodine003

bodine003 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Killer Thruxy!!!! I have a 03 Bonny I bought new and set it up like a Thrux before Tri. made them. A wonderful bullet proof roadster.
    JRowland, Amphib and Rusty Rocket like this.
  2. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Love to see yours. This is my first triumph and I will never not own one. I absolutely love it.

I was shopping for a harley roadster or Xr1200 and I completely forgot about thruxton, always wanted one and the right one appeared like it was meant to be. It definitely has soul, different than the harley sportsters I've had, but alot of similarities in how I feel connected to the machine.

Thow in some serendipity..... A guy on the AT forum had some parts he sold me cheap. He used to have one but sold it. So I got an Arrow 2-1, and all the TTP stuff to go with it. (I like the looks of straight pipes, but would rather have a nice tuned system) It's been fun learning all about them and seeing what the culture is like. It reminds me of harley with the aftermarket and personalization.
    JRowland and klaviator like this.
  3. bodine003

bodine003 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great s
    Great sound with the Arrow. The Hinkley Bonnys are all over Europe. Here in the states many also. The Brit Iron Rebels is a group dedicated to the Cafe Racer life style. May 13-16 is the 3 state rally out of Blowing-Rock go to www.britbike.com for info in the events section. June 25&26 is The British In The Blue Ridge Rally in Hiawassii GA, info same web site britbike.com. July 9th Triumph Day @ Two Wheels Of Suches. (campground) Suches GA. The MEGA weekend is Oct. 8-10 in Leeds Al. at the Barber Motorsports Park. It is a HUGE Vintage event. You can not believe the machines that come in, AHRMA road races. AHRMA has the Thruxton Cup class. Motorcross, & 100 thousand sq. foot museum. Get on the Barber Museum web site. My bike is on here some where in either the Tri. pixs. section. or All things Bonneville in road warriors sec.
    Amphib likes this.
  4. JRowland

JRowland reaching for the sky Supporter

Oddometer:
    Low water bridge last night :-) I was on the wrong side to be home at dark, but I kind of figured.

F59C8D0B-D00E-44A7-9AA9-5D6B5B042636.jpeg

50BB08F8-BC8B-401B-AEE5-A3BCD827DA46.jpeg

31F13B56-364C-498E-B5DB-DABFDC5296FF.jpeg

C571735B-1A96-4D5A-9973-C8AD670B6F48.jpeg

B22C89E2-9995-4F3A-8402-6B007F599AC6.jpeg

813989A2-4C2A-4296-B76F-FFCB6E1B9068.jpeg

9E95F18A-F63F-4E6B-9245-22A8D596AC6E.jpeg

C40811F3-B3C7-448F-B209-7E295DD8A1EB.jpeg

AF5DB553-0B1A-4767-9366-7D1D04381B8F.jpeg
  5. ncrambler

ncrambler Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sweet ride....congrats
  6. SR1

SR1 Going to America!!!!

Oddometer:
    JRowland and justBert like this.
  7. Salth2ofish

Salth2ofish Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh I see........... you have more than one bike. That’s just silly!! :) can’t get nothing past me..
    justBert and JRowland like this.
  8. ncroadtoad

ncroadtoad No Use to Society Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you get a chance, would you show that Cataloochee route on a map? It looks beautiful, I'd like to include it on my ride list when I journey west.
    Thanks
    justBert likes this.
  9. JRowland

Oddometer:
    Here’s what that loop was supposed to be. If I get a spare hour and a half to two hours I run this often. Let me know how many miles you like to do and I’d gladly whip you up some routes, or get you to a destination if it’s that kind of ride.

Attached Files:

Thinwater, dp064, norton73 and 3 others like this.
  10. ncroadtoad

Oddometer:
    Thank you JR, very nice of you. This route is perfect and I'll take you up on your offer to help me out with a few more.

I'll probably be staying in the Waynesville/Maggie Valley/Tellico area when I come out there. Blue Ridge Motorcycle Camp used to be the place I go, but I'm getting bad vibes about the place these days. So I'm looking for a replacement. As to riding, anything from an hour to a full day route will be appreciated. I'm half way familiar with area, been going there for years, but the gravel routes are sorta new to me. FS81, The Stairs are about it. I'm up for about any kind of gravel route, my bike is more capable that I am and turning around in defeat is something I'm willing to do in a heartbeat :D.

When I next head that direction, I'll drop you a note (if you don't mind), maybe we can get together for ride.
    Thanks
    dp064, justBert and JRowland like this.
  11. JRowland

Oddometer:
    There are a few tent spots at Mile High Campground that are exceptionally beautiful.

A13BCDA7-CBF4-41D2-A08A-DC32EC5F59C3.jpeg

It puts you right in the middle of some good BIA gravel as well as the stuff near Cataloochee and easy enough to get over to Wolf Mountain. Cataloochee campground looks nice as well and might be warmer in the evenings? Tellico is an hour and a half ish from me, I’m still exploring over there when I can. I really dig that western riding over there.

I’d love to ride with you, please do hit me up!
    bykemike, Thinwater, BaldKnob and 7 others like this.
  12. norton73

norton73 drinkin' in the garage Supporter

Oddometer:
    :ear
    Rusty Rocket likes this.
  13. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm wondering what "bad vibes" you are getting. It's been a few years since I last stayed there. I love the area and the campground itself but the bath house was filthy the last few times I stayed there. My buddy stayed in one of the cabins and was not happy with the condition.

On the other hand the blueberry pancakes we had there were fantastic!

Another inmate has had good luck staying at the Winngray campground in Maggie Valley. It's mainly an RV park but has some nice tent spots right on a creek.

The mile high campground seems real nice but its a mile high. That's great in the summer but will be pretty cold in the spring and late fall.
    JRowland, Thinwater and dp064 like this.
  14. SidewinderX

SidewinderX Hey, watch this! Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    If it matches your route, check out Mountain View Motorcycle Campground in Elk Park NC.

The hosts are pretty awesome and Mark is usually willing to take off and show you around the area on his Guzzi.
    CheapB, JRowland, Thinwater and 4 others like this.
  15. ncroadtoad

Oddometer:
    Well it's just "vibes", nothing that I can say for sure. I stayed there last fall and nobody was around to check me in, I just grabbed an unlocked cabin. The owner got with me the next morning, no drama. The area around the cabin was muddy and a mess, the bath house was dirty and poorly maintained and the common area just looked like nobody gave a crap.

This year, I tried to make a reservation for early May and it took several days for the owner to respond on Facebook (I also left a phone message). He took my info, said that an email would be following with payment info and confirmation. That same experience was had by my 3 traveling companions. Four or five days later, nothing in email, I messaged him on Facebook. A few hours later, he responded and sounded like he didn't know what I was talking about and asked that I call him. By this time, we had decided to cut our losses and move up to Linville Falls.

It's really a shame what has happened to that place. It was an institution back when the parents were running it.
    Like I said, I don't know the owner (son I think) from Adam, he may be a great guy and I don't mean to bust his balls. This was just my experience and gut feel.
    MTBRALPH likes this.
  16. ncroadtoad

Oddometer:
    To funny, I love that place. In fact I'll be heading up there on 15 April for 4 days. You are right about Mark and Janine, I think they may be the friendliest hosts I've ever met. I'll be trying the new "Bungalow".
  17. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's more than just "vibes". It seems like it isn't being well maintained or managed. Too bad. It's such a nice campground and location.

I'll try to stop by this year and check it out.
  18. SwampyDeadHead

SwampyDeadHead Ride, Rage, Rinse, Repeat Supporter

Oddometer:
    I rode through Mile High Campground last September almost stayed a night but there was a sign that said no alcohol because it's on tribal land. Maybe leased? I like to have a bourbon and a cigar after I set up camp but also like to be a respectful guest so I rode back down.
    JRowland and ncroadtoad like this.
  19. SCPancho

SCPancho Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mile High is great. Rustic yes, the sunsets are spectacular.

[​IMG]
  20. stinkfinger

stinkfinger Chickenfat dirtbiker

Oddometer:
    Around here(Erwin Tn) they opened some gates a lil early.

Tony
    JRowland likes this.