1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines this year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Riding North Carolina, TN and VA

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Extremenc, Jan 23, 2017.

1. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is a shot of Lake Lure, taken from the Pinnicale Trailhead off of 1238 / Old NC 105

IMG_9723.JPG

IMG_9724.JPG

A small bridge between Aska Rd and Shallowford Bridge Rd just south of Blue Ridge Lake in northern Georgia:

IMG_9758.JPG

Two Wheels of Suches... not as friendly as it used to be, unfortunately. Good facilities though.
    IMG_9759.JPG

WOOOO!

IMG_9799.JPG

My fully-loaded beast
    P5300078.JPG

I had no problems keeping up with these two. Until we got to the hiking, at least.

P5300076.JPG

Charles.
  2. PineyMountainRacing

PineyMountainRacing Oops....

Oddometer:
    legaloffroad.com looks like a guy who is serving as an intermediary between you and the SD DMV (but he should use spell check and redo his form, it looks pretty bad with the misspellings). I went the SD route 4 years ago for my ‘99 WR400F. Typically you end up with a street legal SD registration and plate that uses your home address, in my case it was FL. After I got the SD registration, I transferred it to a FL registration and tag the following year. The WR and YZ bikes of that era were not set up to be street legal from the factory, but I was able to convert mine because it had never been in any DMV system previously. I bought it new in 1999, and just received a MSO when I bought it. Starting in 2001 Florida started titling dirt bikes and quads and those titles have “off Highway use only” which is the “kiss of death” in most DMV offices. SD will give you a tag even if the MSO shows “off Highway only” but you will never get it tagged in most other states. The question most people don’t have the answer to is how does a LEO look at a bike registered to you in a state where you don’t have a residence. So if you go that route I would stay away from urban areas (although the last 2 times I’ve “interacted” with LEOs was on gravel :lol3)

there are threads here in Thumpers regarding the SD process, the most active thread at the time was on SuperMotoJunkies.com. I’d be happy to discuss the process in more detail if you decide to proceed.

8C97474A-D48F-4E22-8662-BDB431AE57A4.jpeg
  3. BaldKnob

BaldKnob I Wanna Ride

Oddometer:
    Thanks, that’s a lot to consider. My biggest concern is NC dmv rescinding the plate as they did to a guy I ride with!!! His was a CRF450X, previously titled in VA.
  4. PineyMountainRacing

PineyMountainRacing Oops....

Oddometer:
    I think the newer VINs are coded with something that puts up a red flag, I’ve heard of guys buying a tagged bike from out of state, and running into problems with their own DMV when they try to transfer. I was sweating bullets when I transferred mine to FL but it went thru without any drama

I bought my XR650R from an inmate in TN, I have a copy of that MSO from when he bought it new and it’s marked “off Highway only”. But he had a dual sport kit installed at the Honda dealer and was able to get a TN street tag and registration before he took actual possession. So each State back then was different. Since the bike was tagged in TN I simply transferred it to FL when I registered it after purchase.
  5. CheapB

CheapB Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    JRowland and ncroadtoad like this.
  6. tireatr

tireatr Let's go for a ride

Oddometer:
    Have you been to Homeplace brewery in Burnsville? Good beer selection, good food, and great atmosphere.
    JRowland and ncroadtoad like this.
  7. CheapB

Oddometer:
    Me and the wife found a nice brunch spot in Newland over the weekend. If you’ve never been to Kaye’s Kitchen, you should give it a go. Some good grub with not a bad view off the patio. :D

IMG_2850.jpg
  8. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    Yes, that is the nickname Janine at Mountain View Motorcycle Campground gave me. Sigh.

:D

Charles.
  9. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    Not yet! I'll put it on my list for next time!

Charles.
  10. CheapB

Oddometer:
    :lol3 nice meeting you on Saturday. I was the one that rolled up to Little Switzerland on the GS while y'all were there. It's cool to put another face to another inmate name. :D:beer

Btw, sweeeet Benelli! :nod
    JRowland likes this.
  11. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
  12. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll be up with a couple of friends riding out of Little Switzerland next week. We'll be arriving Sunday and leaving Wednesday. I'll be on my yellow Versys. I haven't figured out our exact routes yet but we'll be doing the t shirt roads in the area as well as some lesser known roads.
    JRowland and BaldKnob like this.
  13. dpippin

dpippin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Win
    I know all the good roads in the area
    Give me a call if you'd like some recommendations

Doug
    JRowland and norton73 like this.
  14. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Doug we'll be coming by near you. We'll be stopping at the Sierra Nevada Brewery on Sunday around noonish. Come join us if you want or join us on a ride.
  15. SwampyDeadHead

SwampyDeadHead Ride, Rage, Rinse, Repeat Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll be up from the 18th until ? in Bryson City. KLR with blue fairing. No camping gear on it this time. Might do some trips around and get a motel room.
    JRowland likes this.
  16. dpippin

dpippin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Win, that would be fun to do but it won't work as I'll be in WV on Sunday
    have fun on your trip
    klaviator likes this.
  17. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Have fun in WV. I'll be in Maggie Valley 3rd week in July (19-23) with my KLX and then for a week in August (8-13) on my Scooter. Maybe we can get together one of those times.
    JRowland likes this.
  18. KennyV

KennyV Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    My wife Kris and I went to Covington Va a few days for a "mini holiday". We stayed at the Evergreen Inn where there is an outfitter and access to the Jackson River and the head of the Jackson River Scenic trail / rails to trails, where Kris rode on her trusty e-bike. I got to explore some of the George Washington National Forest.

IMG_20210607_114324449_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210607_100946855.jpg

IMG_20210607_115620868_HDR.jpg

And had a lot of fun riding the Alleghany and surrounding county back roads. Some of them make the Dragon seem fairly tame and it was a lot more fun having almost no traffic.

IMG_20210607_103320723_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210606_153029460_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210607_113315093_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210607_125001478_HDR.jpg

This is an area I will visit again. The short time there gave me chance to ride and see just a small part of it. So our "mini holiday" has come to an end and time to pack up and head home to our little piece of Appalachia heaven.

IMG_20210608_090810129_HDR.jpg
  19. 12bridn

12bridn I need throttle therapy

Oddometer:
    3665BC81-7F8A-444C-A8FB-56062E7BD7D2.jpeg
    Vermont will give you a plate for pretty much anything older than 15years. Just got my sticker for my 03. I may be able to title it now in OH. Still have to add the actual street legal stuff
    motocopter and BaldKnob like this.
  20. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    What model Yamaha is that?? Motor looks canted back. WR450 ??

edit, ooops. I should've read further