1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines this year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Riding North Carolina, TN and VA

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Extremenc, Jan 23, 2017.

1. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah it was great meeting you too! And thanks! The Benelli is a whole lot of fun! :)

Charles.
    JRowland likes this.
  2. ncroadtoad

ncroadtoad No Use to Society Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Charles, have you been to BRMC lately? Thinking about a couple nights down there the last week of June. The last time I was there it was looking sorta weak, not much management going on.
    I'd appreciate yours's or anyone's recent experiences. And oh yeah, I agree completely about MVMC. The best I've been to - by far.
    tireatr likes this.
  3. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    Still not much management going on. It's nicely mowed, but the picnic tables are all rotten and falling apart and the bathroom is ramshackle and gross. The restaurant is closed for the year as well. It wasn't a bad time by any means, but it's not a top notch destination anymore.

Charles.
  4. ncroadtoad

ncroadtoad No Use to Society Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks Charles. It's sad. That was such a great place.
    tireatr, Reddog* and norton73 like this.
  5. YesRush

YesRush Long timer

Oddometer:
    Any rallies next weekend on ?
  6. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    It's still a good place, and I have no problems camping there. There is still a communal fire every night and the sound of the stream through the campground is still pleasant. I didn't stay in any of the cabins, but they were full and people seemed happy enough. There was a gold wing rally and a handful of adventure bikes, so the clientele is still good. The guy who runs the place is introverted but pleasant and will talk, but he's not going out of his way to make sure you have a nice stay. That doesn't make it a bad place, and it's not gone completely to hell or anything. It just needs some work and money that they obviously don't have after a full season shut down almost completely by coronavirus.

Charles.
    ncroadtoad and Rusty Rocket like this.
  7. Cogswell

Cogswell Turn your gas on...

Oddometer:
    So the food service is not available on the weekends anymore ?
  8. Mr Pou

Mr Pou Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I miss the old days. Dee and Henry at BRMC, Frank at TWO, Pete at Deals Gap…
    CheapB, klaviator and ChopperCharles like this.
  9. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    Not in 2021.

Charles.
    Cogswell likes this.
  10. Mr Pou

Oddometer:
    Bummer, I guess I won't be visiting BRMC this year. Part of the attraction was not having to ride to town for breakfast and dinner.
    klaviator and norton73 like this.
  11. norton73

norton73 drinkin' in the garage Supporter

Oddometer:
    Too bad. I really liked that place for the cooler temps at the higher elevation and the convenience of meals. Looks like I'll be crossing BRMC off my list for this year.
    klaviator likes this.
  12. Mr Pou

Oddometer:
    Indeed, no matter how hot is was in the valleys, sleeping at BRMC was always pleasant. I always pitched my tent in the rhododendron bushes near the stream, great sleeping. And when it got hot during the day a quick dip in that mountain stream was refreshing.
    strommonster, klaviator and norton73 like this.
  13. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I always enjoyed my stays at BRMC but it was getting pretty run down the last time I stayed there a few years ago. I really like Cherohala Mountain trails campground but it's just too hot in the summer months.

I haven't stayed there myself but the Winngray RV campground has some nice tent spots in the shade and right on a creek: http://www.winngraycampground.com/
  14. SwampyDeadHead

SwampyDeadHead Ride, Rage, Rinse, Repeat Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is a great option in the dead of summer:

https://milehighcampground.com/cs24

I also recently stayed at Mountaineer CG in Townsend, TN and their tent sites are riverfront. There's a couple restaurants within walking distance too. Good spot.
    Unhooked one likes this.
  15. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    I really liked Hunt's Lodge motorcycle campground in Telico Plains, TN. They're still building cabins and upgrading infrastructure, and the guy who runs it - Wendell Smith - loved to chat and show me around even though I arrived pretty late. Lots of free stuff -- coffee, oatmeal, maps, moto fluids, etc. Big clean and pretty nice bathrooms/shower as well. It's no MVMCG, but it's easily my second favorite now.

Charles.
    Rusty Rocket likes this.
  16. JRowland

JRowland reaching for the sky Supporter

Oddometer:
    SwampyDeadHead and Unhooked one like this.
  17. SCPancho

SCPancho Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mile high has incredible views. Usually full so reserve. Pretty rustic facilities though.
  18. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Hunts Lodge has the same problem as Cherohala Mountain Trails campground. It's too hot in the summer but nice spring or fall. Of the two I prefer CMTC but I haven't stayed at Hunt's lodge since the new owner took over.
  19. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    I like to pack light. Which means I like to stay in cabins. All the cabins have AC at Hunt's Lodge. Every single one. And he keeps building more. Each cabin also has electricity, a heater, and large lean-to for a motorcycle. It's really a great setup.

That said, I was there two weeks ago and I needed the heater. I froze my ass off on the cherohala skyway and telico plains wasn't much better. Where is this heat wave everyone keeps talking about? Not here.

Charles.
    Rusty Rocket and ncroadtoad like this.
  20. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Since I'm a tent camper, that's the perspective I have. CMTC has cabins but I haven't stayed in the cabins at either place so I can't compare.