Riding North Carolina, TN and VA

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Extremenc, Jan 23, 2017.

1. jethrocephus

jethrocephus Most Honorable Right Minister of Folding Money Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wound up doing a little aimless meandering yesterday in rural Appalachia on the W, took the Parkway to 18, filled up with some non ethanol at the little country store outside of Laurel Springs.

image.jpeg

Rode as far as Speedwell, Virginia, where you will not be bothered with any twenty first century electronic BS as there is no cell service or 4G. Heading back, rode thru Independence, a cool little old town which might be the county seat as there was a courthouse looking building with a cool Civil War statue of a guy on a horse, sorry, no picture.

Also, snagged this sweet mural, circa 2020 when leaving town:

image.jpeg

Stopped at a boat launch near Rogers National Forest and ate my lunch which I got pretty adept at packing during the year 2020 in America. It actually works quite well, you're not riding around hungry and looking for a place to eat, plus I do enjoy the solitude when eating alone on the side of the road, a park, boat ramp, etc.

This picture kind of puts you in the mind of, hmmm, it wasn't supposed to rain today, just before you get soaked on the Parkway:

image.jpeg

Very brief, and one thing I've learned, it can rain any damn time it wants to in the NC/ Va/ Tn mountains.

Onward, out into the woods again today, joined by my buddy @mas335 who I met up with at Bass Lake, a popular jumping off spot for horsies:

image.jpeg

Jumped off 221 at Hopewell Baptist Church sign again, maybe this is Edgemont Road ??? It definitely turns into it at some point. Rode into Edgemont and stopped at the store, which was closed again, but some neighbors were outside next door and one of them approached us to see if we needed anything... What the heck, water is always good and he had a key to the store. Don't think the guy was an elected official or anything but he did give off a vibe like he was a city dignitary or ambassador or some such, which got me to thinking. Edgemont probably doesn't have a Mayor and once upon a time when the kids were young and we camped a lot at Salter Path, I became the Unofficial Self Proclaimed Mayor of Salter Path. So, that's it, I'm now the Mayor of Edgemont.

image.jpeg

We doubled back on Edgemont Rd, going up hill this time which is way more fun, as I wanted to hop on FS192, a road I'd passed by a lot, plus the old codger at the store told us it would link up with FS4062, which he referred to as Old House Gap. Now, I had one of those fancy fold up paper things that tell you where you are, and FS4062 was way curvy on that map. Yeah!!

So we took off on 192. which was pretty cool and I had a good feeling about where we were headed. As it turn outs, we were heading straight to a Road Closed Ahead sign. Hoping it was a ruse to keep us away from all the cool stuff, we persevered. Right up to the closed gate, 4062 was closed as was another branch, Mountains to Sea as was anther road. Oddly enough, there was a pick up backed in and just like that two nice gentlemen appeared approaching the locked gate from the opposite direction, riding double on a four wheeler. Mark and I looked at each other, I was thinking these had to be a couple moonshiners or some such, but nope, the truck was theirs and they were there in official capacity, employed by some governmental agency that I've forgotten the name of. They were placing cans of sardines on trees in the area so as to keep up with local bear traffic.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Getting hungry, we headed into town to eat at Little Deer Cafe but it was closed, also, so it was off to Tartan's Restaurant which serves breakfast all day. Waffle and link sausage, yep.

A fun day and nice weather, gonna make it hard to ride back into the Piedmont mañana but I've got a dog that misses me and maybe wife does, too.

Attached Files:

2. mas335

mas335 xendurist

Oddometer:
    Thanks Mayor for planning this, It's the first time for me to ride the Wilson Creek area, great day.
    dirtbagger, justBert and jethrocephus like this.
  3. CheapB

CheapB Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lol3 I know some of the Salter family from down there, good peeps, and a great area.
    jethrocephus likes this.
  4. TheSweeper

TheSweeper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That CB would have been a hand full on Old House!
  5. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    NC has been particularly tough to register "dirt bikes"
  6. SR1

SR1 Going to America!!!!

Oddometer:
    NC is my home state but I chose to not live there because of that kind of stuff. If I keep going it'll be moved to Head Explody anyway...
    JRowland and Rusty Rocket like this.
  7. JRowland

JRowland reaching for the sky Supporter

Oddometer:
    They paved Rattlesnake Gap and opened up Upper Shut In :clap They may be fixing it all the way to Wasp, it got muddy and I wasn’t in the mood. I’ll kick myself if they put up a gate before I get back, I’ve been wanting to see Wasp for awhile.

6501BE07-5D4F-476D-9F63-E7224103F9BF.jpeg

145E6404-769C-4328-A711-D91BB906C0B5.jpeg

4D8CE0DA-D546-41BA-BDE2-D8C286C6D356.jpeg

No more gate

88117AF0-2109-43A0-B9D0-03F84D8D6514.jpeg

DFCC8891-9C33-4756-9AA9-3EA67A9A572B.jpeg

0E27C157-2BE8-4255-ABB2-3DD58BA4BFFE.jpeg

A9EC1479-CC22-4AF7-AB9C-4A52121EC738.jpeg

F3941D00-AC85-4B4A-9D36-432E745CABCE.jpeg

D5ACF977-4D55-4B5A-9093-ABED3427AEFE.jpeg

0BCBE07D-EDCF-4B1B-819C-08526C9F3FB2.jpeg

42BADE72-C9E6-485F-B612-AACE97021BC4.jpeg

802A114A-AF2E-4CC6-98CC-9A81D6533671.jpeg

64394192-76FC-4F13-8869-0C7BEF7E37AD.jpeg
  8. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    luv those black rims on the DR
    WACO OLD TIMER, JRowland and chethro like this.
  9. chethro

chethro Long timer

Oddometer:
    The pic with all the vines looks neat and the one with the big trees. :nod
    WACO OLD TIMER and JRowland like this.
  10. JRowland

Oddometer:
    :thumb

Kudzu gets crazy in spots, there’s a creek under that crap :lol3
    WACO OLD TIMER, chethro and justBert like this.
  11. PineyMountainRacing

PineyMountainRacing Oops....

Oddometer:
    that’d be pretty cool to get across Shut In :happay
    WACO OLD TIMER, JRowland and justBert like this.
  12. PineyMountainRacing

PineyMountainRacing Oops....

Oddometer:
    what was the deal with the Jeep’s?

other than they ran off the road …
  13. JRowland

Oddometer:
    It started to pour right after I took the pic so I put my helmet on and had tunes playing :-) I didn’t ask, it was obvious to me there was some dumb in the first place. The extraction was handled well then the kid started doing everything except getting his truck out of my way after they pulled him back on the road. High fives all around, he actually cried and hugged his truck initially. I’m not making the crying part up. They acted like they were out in the woods and they were the only ones there, there was a few cars behind me and a few on the other side. It was right below the lake below Max Patch. Mildly entertaining yet aggravating at the same time :ken
    WACO OLD TIMER, dp064, mikegc and 4 others like this.
  14. dirtbagger

dirtbagger The Pan American Supporter

Oddometer:
    JRowland I really like the great pics... Thanks.
    This Fall or next Spring I'll be down on the PA and hope to ride some of the easier roads
    until I get more skilled..:lol2:lol2
    PS Everytime you post I can't help remembering how much I miss Dale (Sad).
    dp064 and JRowland like this.
  15. JRowland

Oddometer:
    Thank you. There are plenty of options here, hit me up I’d love to show you around.
  16. smalls78

smalls78 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pretty long weekend racking up about 200miles on the DR. Lots of forest service roads, some single track and plenty of “jeep trails”. I hit up Maple Sally and the typical stuff there, also Old House Gap Rd - which is partially closed and I may or may not have ended up on some mtn bike trail for a bit lol. Also South Mtn Area. My brother rode my KLX 250S and had a blast but now he’s gunning for a DR build!

8B6109C8-B547-4A9D-9AB3-7CD55036F4EB.jpeg 9268CF73-CB9F-4660-955C-4C7BC69B7CD8.jpeg F2B54968-2B89-47ED-ACB5-47325D4B4D05.jpeg
  17. Licklog

Licklog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've been lurking here awhile and just recently signed up. Been enjoying the awesome pics you guys post and wanted to ask the location of the dam/waterfall in these pictures. I know it's sort of in the vicinity of FS288 which I've ridden once before, but I never saw the dam. Wanting to go back soon and would like to find this - thanks!
    WACO OLD TIMER and justBert like this.
  18. JRowland

Oddometer:
    You can get in two ways, one is off Mt. Sterling Rd. And it would be your first left on gravel after the Big Creek General Store heading towards Cataloochee. If you get to the Church you went too far. Cross the first stream and don’t take any right turns. Back up a second because before that first stream I think is a left that’s not private and it dead ends at the big white surge tower which is cool. The other roads are private property. It might be after that first stream crossing I’m not 100%. You can haul ass on it as it’s pretty straight and crosses a couple little streams. Back on track, cross the first stream and follow the trail to an opening at the bottom of a hill where there is a deeper stream crossing. Right there before the stream is the trail, it dead ends at the pipe/waterfall. The other way in or where it exits if you continue the way we’ve been going is across from Tower Rd. in the middle of FS 288.
    WACO OLD TIMER and Licklog like this.
  19. Licklog

Licklog Adventurer

Oddometer:

Thanks for the info! Sounds like I went right past the road several weeks ago when I was up there. I did a loop from Waynesville to Waterville Rd, Tobes Creek Rd, Old Cataloochee Turnpike, Heintooga Ridge, etc. to name a few. Went as far as Mingo Falls in Cherokee before heading back to Waynesville.
    20210705_113813.jpg 20210705_114459.jpg 20210705_124538.jpg 20210705_124821.jpg 20210705_125041.jpg 20210705_130005.jpg 20210705_154508.jpg
  20. dirtbagger

dirtbagger The Pan American Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll do that!
    I've really enjoyed Rt 209 to Hot Springs and found a lot of fun paved roads on various street Harley's I've owned over the years.
    I may get down there in October but definitely in May as I ride there every year. One of the best times we've had was the Hilbilly Jam and
    staying at the Five Star Inn with Chris. Sadly Chris passed away recently and staying there just won't be the same.
    Thanks for the offer and I'll hit you up when I get a date set!
    Photo @ Cades Cove 2011
    3532717186_be2a6d3f37_c.jpg
    -DB