Riding North Carolina, TN and VA

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Extremenc, Jan 23, 2017.

1. NORMA_JEAN

NORMA_JEAN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Didn't the RM replace the PE around 1977? Idk my suzuki history that well. (Wasn't alive for it)
  2. norton73

norton73 drinkin' in the garage Supporter

Oddometer:
    RM was a motocross bike, PE was an enduro. Two different lines of bikes
    NORMA_JEAN likes this.
  3. NORMA_JEAN

Oddometer:
    RM replaced TM, not PE. Google set me straight.
    Rusty Rocket and norton73 like this.
  4. WACO OLD TIMER

WACO OLD TIMER Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well guys made it home got some bad news to report my phone took a shit.:hair !!!!! lost all my pictures!!!!!!! Camera just has black screen cant even make a phone call with useless pile. done hard reset and now it wont turn back on. hopeful when I go to the phone store they can recover them, Meet JRowland this morning had good breakfast and talk, cool dude had a picture of him and our bikes. looking forward riding with him in the near future. Rode out towards the Cataloochee valley to FR288 to Max Patch back out to Trust rode down to Luck just to get a pic in front of the old store. most was hardtop from there, up to Marshall to Jupiter across to Barnardsville, would like to rode Stoney fork but it was closed from storm damage so down ox creek back to the Parkway. A good over 200 miler day. Made home late last night, if they can recover the pictures I post them. Think I invest in a real camera. Right now the only pics I got from the ride is posted Saturday on this thread. Not going to let it get me. makes a good excuse to do it all over again. had a BLAST! looking for Josh to buy breakfast next time.
  5. JRowland

JRowland reaching for the sky Supporter

Oddometer:
    It was great meeting you John, sucks about your pictures but at least you had fun! Thanks again for breakfast.

709B51DB-D10F-4AA3-A554-79EB19CA648A.jpeg
  6. ncroadtoad

ncroadtoad No Use to Society Supporter

Oddometer:
    To bad about your pictures, that (and worse) is always the risk using your phone as your camera, gps, etc. When it dies, it's pain city. A lot of phones can't take the vibration from being mounted on bikes, the camera is usually the first casualty. I've been using an Olympus Tough camera <https://www.getolympus.com/us/en/digitalcameras/tough.html> for some time now and really like it. It's not the cheapest one around, but it's completely waterproof (I use it underwater), stands up to vibration fine (been on my windscreen bracket for over a year), you can send your pictures to your phone via wifi using the app (completely painless) and it takes good pictures. Just an idea..

Good luck with the phone repair.
    WACO OLD TIMER and tireatr like this.
  7. viper522

viper522 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've had two iPhones go into self-protect when they get hot. Outdoors both times - once on a boat in the sun and once used as a GPS in a windshield mount with the car A/C running just fine. Since then I do what I can to keep my phones out of direct sunlight. There's evidence that direct sunlight has caused damage to OLED screens found on some of the higher-end phones (and TVs) but I haven't experienced that myself yet.
  8. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Florida, but soon fulltime in Robbinsville, NC
    I met up with with @JRowland and @Rusty Rocket late Saturday morning at the Oconoluftee Visitor Center. I had hoped to see some elk there, but like MY usual, there were none. :(

I was tired of everyone else I know always seeing elk, so I rode out early this morning in search of some. I left the house in Robbinsville at 6:40, and headed the R1200RT east towards the Oconoluftee Visitor Center again.

Lots of heavy fog on the way, making visibility an issue at times. I arrived at the visitor center at 7:30, and there were a couple elk in the fields, but right at the edge of the woods. The mist over the field made it difficult to see much at all, but at least I finally saw some after all these years in NC.
    Hardly worth stopping for a picture, plus I didn't want to be like that idiot that stopped in the middle of the left lane.

The other reason for today's ride was to get my mileage up close to the 24,000 mile mark, so I could do a few things like oils and filter. I had a basic route planned out in my head, so I turned onto the BRP.
    20210830_074921.jpg

20210830_074905.jpg

Shortly after stopping for the pictures above, I came around a corner to catch something out of the corner of my eye at the Mile High Road intersection. I quickly stopped and pulled out my phone.
    20210830_075239.jpg

20210830_075242.jpg

The problem was, the elk were now getting closer than I would like. Apparently they don't know the Federal regulations very well ! I didn't see a bull, but I know a mother elk can get very protective of her calf, and one calf was walking right toward me. By the time I got the phone put away, and had my gloves back on, I was starting to be surrounded. I began by coasting downhill away from most of the group, but one calf thought I was stalking it, and it started running just ahead of me, so I stopped. It crossed the road in front of me, so as soon as it cleared, I took that moment to put the bike in gear and go.
    I stopped at the next overlook just around the corner, and warned an approaching car to slow down.
    20210830_075621.jpg

I saw an occasional vehicle approaching, but I never came up on anyone headed my direction, so I was free to stop for pictures often.
    20210830_080559.jpg

20210830_081423.jpg

20210830_081444.jpg

20210830_081508.jpg

Temperatures were in the low to mid 60s for the whole ride, finally dipping down to 59 degrees at the highest point of the Parkway.
    20210830_083806.jpg

One last BRP shot before I got off at the 215 exit.
    20210830_084201.jpg

Headed south on 215 and it was almost to 64 before I even had any traffic to catch up to. I did have an odd moment when I glanced down at the gauges to see them go black, and the tach and speedometer cycled, and then everything was back to normal. :eek7 I began to wonder how I'd get home and get the van if the bike died, but it didn't have any problems for the ride home. Weird.

Headed west on 64, then turned north on 281 by Lake Toxaway. Stopped at Wolf Creek Lake on the way. One side of the street, and the other.
    20210830_094458.jpg
    20210830_094510.jpg

Continued on to pick up 107N, which had lighter traffic than some times I've seen, other than for the lane blockage where the were doing repairs, possibly from Fred's passing, but I don't really know.

Took 19/74W to point back to Graham County. Brand new pavement on the 4 lane section of 28 put down this morning. :-)

Pulled into the garage, and looked. Close enough to 24,000 miles for me. :D
    20210830_110740.jpg
  9. viper522

Oddometer:
    A third of a tank of gas, 2 miles to go for an even 24k, and 52.6mpg - and you couldn't be bothered to make it happen?!?! You're not the maniac they all tell me you are!
    CheapB, EMFL, justBert and 3 others like this.
  10. jethrocephus

jethrocephus Most Honorable Right Minister of Folding Money Supporter

Oddometer:
    image.jpeg

Had a couple rides recently up into Alleghany and Grayson counties with @mas335 leading the way on his mighty DR350.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Expression tunnel underneath the Parkway.

image.jpeg

Stopped off at the old home place but Granny and Uncle Jed were nowhere to be found.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Many moons I have struggled to make it to the Winner's Circle, my ship has arrived.

image.jpg

Was able to escape the oppressive humidity of Wake County again this weekend and head back up to Camp Jethro and get some Parkway Riding in.

image.jpg

This is bear (not beet) country, Curtis Creek, near Old Fort, a pretty good gravel road that eventually intersects the Parkway.

image.jpeg

Rode the Parkway up to Floyd yesterday for a barbecue sammitch at Outer Space, decent food, cool ambiance and low humidity there yesterday.

DFF308F5-CEBD-48B7-939C-204FAE8F3B87.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Non ethanol fuel available at Meadows of Dan and what looked like a restaurant there I'll have to check out for the future. A lot of guys on real motorcycles hanging out at one place, too.

image.jpeg

Daughter and son in law were up for a couple days, we hiked up to Rough Ridge and got my pitcher taken
  11. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem Supporter

Oddometer:
    @Florida Lime sometimes when you see a heard like that you can spot a bull 20 or 30 feet off the road in the shade on their belly
    Florida Lime likes this.
  12. KennyV

KennyV Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The space cadets make a really good michelada at Outer Space also.
    jethrocephus likes this.
  13. Florida Lime

Oddometer:
    They were grazing, but definitely on the move. Plus, I was hoping there wasn't a bull nearby getting pissed off that I was bothering his women ! :lol3

ETA - There is a young bull in the picture, toward the back in the group.
  14. Florida Lime

Oddometer:
    I thought about it, but, hey, I've got other shit to do today. :lol3
    Just cut another van load of firewood, and had to suffer through this week's other flavor with a stop at the Whip trailer - strawberry. :rayof
  15. viper522

Oddometer:
    My first and only stop there (so far) was a strawberry/pineapple combo. After a day lounging around Lake Santeetlah it was heaven-sent.
  16. Mr Pou

Mr Pou Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Where is this magic trailer? I cut around the lake on 1134 and 1127 on my way from the Gap to the Skyway Saturday. Did I miss it?
  17. JRowland

Oddometer:
    Bastage :lol3

129 outside of town, towards the Skyway but not quite there. Hula girl shaking on top. The float is delicious as well, it’s all good. He and his wife are good people too.

Break in ride on the way home from the dealer :-)

0BFA966D-0AF7-4916-BF06-307FFD5CE3B2.jpeg

38D7BA6D-FF4B-4B08-8BFC-65397D23F766.jpeg
  18. NORMA_JEAN

Oddometer:
    Just curious, what's the OTD price on a new dr650 these days?
  19. JRowland

Oddometer:
    I paid $6800 +TTL including the skid plate and rear rack the first time. I paid $6500 +++ a year later after I totaled that black bike.
    Idahopilot and NORMA_JEAN like this.
  20. viper522

Oddometer: