Riding North Carolina, TN and VA

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Extremenc, Jan 23, 2017.

1. GlennR

GlennR Chasin' my tail

Oddometer:

Just pack a first-aid kit and a tube of super glue, and you'll be fine.
    JRowland, Storz and justBert like this.
  2. JRowland

JRowland reaching for the sky Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice! Have fun
  3. SR1

SR1 Going to America!!!!

Oddometer:
    Maybe I missed it but I thought the BRMC deal was next weekend.
  4. justBert

justBert Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    JRowland likes this.
  5. JRowland

JRowland reaching for the sky Supporter

Oddometer:
  6. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem Supporter

Oddometer:

don't know where that is but i know one of the peeps
  7. justBert

justBert Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  8. ncrambler

ncrambler Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    @SR1 question about this
    Been gearing up to do the TAT and was looking at the Garmin XT. If you don't mind sharing your thoughts on the Montana over the XT that might help my decision. Thanks man.
  9. SR1

SR1 Going to America!!!!

Oddometer:
  10. SR1

SR1 Going to America!!!!

Oddometer:
    I don’t know anything about the XT. But as much as I dislike Garmin (seems their tech people done know the products that well at times) and dislike their (all not just the Montana) programming, I ADORE the Montana. For rides like a TAT or BDR it’s nearly impeccable.
    dp064 likes this.
  11. Storz

Storz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Another great shakedown on the TA today. 60 miles, and about half on gravel. 20210908_160257.jpg 20210908_162129.jpg 20210908_162117.jpg
    DucaIan, dp064, 12bridn and 7 others like this.
  12. SR1

SR1 Going to America!!!!

Oddometer:
    i just looked up the Zumo xt I guess that’s the one? Not really my style. I assume they’ll let you put it in vertical format by now but if not that horizontal layout sucks for following tracks. Also it just LOOKS like an unrugged car GPS rather than a ruggedized unit like the Montana.
  13. SR1

SR1 Going to America!!!!

Oddometer:
    @justBert @JRowland @CheapB @everybody So there are TWO Blue Ridge ADV rides, one after another in Sep. The one this weekend is the one you guys posted. I will post a screenshot of the second one (in support of the Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground) momentarily. I am going to THAT one (I am going to Georgia this weekend to help my BIL move).

If you all are interested we can camp/ride NEXT weekend for that one too. Posting the info in a sec...

53602372-1DB9-45B8-8ABC-EAD375680003.png
  14. NORMA_JEAN

NORMA_JEAN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  15. SwampyDeadHead

SwampyDeadHead Ride, Rage, Rinse, Repeat Supporter

Oddometer:
    My jaunt into West Virginia was awesome and yesterday I picked up the BDR south from dolly sods/Petersburg WV. Camped at Big Bend campground which was a great campground and should be included as a stop for the night if schedule permits. Hot showers. Nice sites and firewood for sale. Had a great night solo sipping Basil Hayden’s dark rye slept like a rock.

Some random thoughts:

- I feel like I should run the whole BDR and make a dirt bag GPX more campgrounds and free stealth camping sites. It’s kinda timed/routed to stay at expensive places. Im running this part of the BDR off the day by day routing schedule but I did most of the orange section and then south into the purple and was really tired and swung into the mountain lake lodge (the one from dirty dancing) and they wanted $189 a night. On a Wednesday. Rode on to Blacksburg dead tired. Got a really nice bed and breakfast downtown for $80. It’s called the clay corner inn. Very nice for the money. Add it to your waypoints.

- when you meet other riders in the middle of nowhere one of the first or second things they says is “I used to have a KLR” which I hear alot. Who I met: Ran into two northbound riders on an AT and a GS. Then another guy on a GS southbound. Then a guy on a pimped out Husky 701 southbound who pulled up when I was talking to a Bath County lawman. I rode with 701 dude for a while and checked out white rock campground. That campground sucked so that led me to comments above.

- there are some really long and remote sections it’s basically gravel riding heaven. In the orange section there was a long freshly graded section that I didn’t see any other bike tracks. That was kinda sketch but generally these southern sections are pretty tame.

A80BD108-A985-4FB4-9696-D0EB2472342A.jpeg 413B4DD8-7975-420F-9D4F-CC7691EC000C.jpeg
    JRowland, mikegc, Storz and 3 others like this.
  16. Unhooked one

Unhooked one Manipulator of Matter

Oddometer:
    Great idea on the stealth camp list for the MABDR. Someone has one going for the NEBDR and I think it also includes some of the better less expansive campgrounds. I am not so savvy with starting and or maintaining that sort of thing but it is a great idea. Not everyone wants to spend $189 a night for a single room. Or a room period. LOL Something about camping as much as you can that really makes the journey.
    SwampyDeadHead likes this.
  17. SwampyDeadHead

SwampyDeadHead Ride, Rage, Rinse, Repeat Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m building a waypoint GPX problem is I don’t live up here (yet working on that). I’m up to 600 points and I edit them with details if I check them out. I’m kinda a mapping nerd.

3DBF6E90-8546-4E2B-956C-78E0C832691A.jpeg
  18. hooligan998

hooligan998 Save a life, grope your wife.

Oddometer:
    A friend and I did a small pirtion of Section 3 of the MABDR last Saturday. It was our first time on the MABDR and it was a blast. This was also my first time getting my KTM out to the western part of VA. We have plans to go back and ride to Flattop soon. I've been pouring over maps and making routes on Google maps. I'm going off BDR maps, MUVM maps from the US Forestry Service and reports from other riders, and this thread of course.

20210904_103817.jpg 20210904_112146.jpg 20210904_123432.jpg 20210904_125908.jpg Screenshot_20210908-225201_Chrome.jpg
  19. CheapB

CheapB Long timer

Oddometer:
    unfortunately, I won't be able to make that one. I realized I have a wedding to attend that day of the ride. Do me a favor and smack Mark for me! :lol3
    JRowland and SR1 like this.
  20. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    What road is that on your map that
    goes A-B. Is it Lime Kiln?