Riding North Carolina, TN and VA

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Extremenc, Jan 23, 2017.

1. brando4905

brando4905 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice ride report from my neck of the woods!

Good to see Old 105 has been cleared in the past week. Here's what I found last week...

IMG_2724.JPG
    KemoSabe1943, Lzeplin and Extremenc like this.
  2. tireatr

tireatr Let's go for a ride

Oddometer:
    You mean you don't carry a chain saw? Pfft :)
    1stgenfarmboy likes this.
  3. brando4905

brando4905 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I looked all up under the seat, thinking the Germans hid one somewhere. I've heard they'll be standard equipment on the 2020 models.
    Dirty450 and cswank like this.
  4. tireatr

tireatr Let's go for a ride

Oddometer:
    Hopefully they'll meet EPA regulations :)
  5. Extremenc

Extremenc NC Mtn. Man

Oddometer:
    Oh Wow! I would have been upset if this had been me, after Curtis Creek was closed the same day. Thinking back I saw where this had been cut out of the way, but didn't think much about it. Living in Marion I bet you know all the good gravel roads and trails in the Pisgah National Forest. Lets ride someday!
    brando4905 likes this.
  6. Extremenc

Extremenc NC Mtn. Man

Oddometer:
    Talked with the various Pisgah ranger districts in the area today about FS road closings. You have the Pisgah Ranger District which is SW of Asheville, NC. Virtually all of their roads are open all the time unless one gets rutted out to where it would cost a lot to repair if travel was continued. As of Friday February 10th, most of their roads have been opened after being closed for the last 6 weeks. The Appalachian Ranger District is North of Interstate 40 and West of Interstate 26, plus the counties of Avery, Yancey and Mitchell. Virtually all of their roads are closed January 1st through the first or second week in April, but open the rest of the year. Last is the Grandfather District which is south of Grandfather and west toward Asheville. This district has a lot of roads that are closed most of the time. Many of them are only open during hunting season November and December. Curtis Creek which I ran upon this week is closed until April this year. Many roads, like Old Table Rock Road in the Linville Gorge are closed permanently. Huh!
  7. Extremenc

Extremenc NC Mtn. Man

Oddometer:
    I may have mentioned earlier, but I like to look on the map and select a 30 or 40 mile square area and ride every road in it. I really enjoy discovering all the intersections and it as sometimes amazing what you find. This last Tuesday (Valentines Day) my wife gave me permission to visit Mt. Airy, NC. I started by going up the mountain on highway 421 then north on the Blue Ridge Parkway. IMG_0210.JPG
  8. Extremenc

Extremenc NC Mtn. Man

Oddometer:
    Road up the mountain on the BRP and stopped at the Elk Mountain Overlook. IMG_0211.JPG
  9. Extremenc

Extremenc NC Mtn. Man

Oddometer:
    Looking back toward Elk Creek and Elk Valley, Blowing Rock, NC then over to Table Rock and the Brown Mountain area. IMG_0212.JPG
    bomose likes this.
  10. Extremenc

Extremenc NC Mtn. Man

Oddometer:
    Heading north on the BRP I stopped at the Lump Overlook. IMG_0216.JPG
  11. Extremenc

Extremenc NC Mtn. Man

Oddometer:
    Looking East toward Pilot Mountain South East of my destination for this day's ride. IMG_0214.JPG IMG_0214.JPG
  12. Extremenc

Extremenc NC Mtn. Man

Oddometer:
    Couldn't resist a little gravel ride near the intersection of Lump Road and the BRP. IMG_0213.JPG
  13. Extremenc

Extremenc NC Mtn. Man

Oddometer:
    I exited the BRP onto highway 18 through Sparta, NC then down the mountain on Highway 89 through Low Gap, NC toward Mt. Airy. Thought this was a unique building that maybe typifies the "moving on" of industry from local areas. IMG_0222.JPG
    KemoSabe1943 and bomose like this.
  14. Extremenc

Extremenc NC Mtn. Man

Oddometer:
    Found a good place for lunch near I77 and highway 89 west of Mt. Airy. IMG_0223.JPG
  15. Extremenc

Extremenc NC Mtn. Man

Oddometer:
    I will tell you up front that I didn't allow enough time to explore this area. I did find a unique road and some things about the BRP running along the ridge that I didn't know. I took off on Pipers Gap road which goes north west and ends up intersecting with highway 620/Lambsburg Road near The Loves Truck Stop on I77. Going left and starting to head up the mountain brought me here: IMG_0232.JPG
  16. Extremenc

Extremenc NC Mtn. Man

Oddometer:
    I am going to attempt to upload a video riding up this road. It may not work, and if it doesn't I will post the You Tube link. This video isn't professional by any means, but will hopefully give you some idea of how much FUN this road is. Definitely worth the ride. Well I don't know how to imbed it, (any suggestions appreciated) so here is the link. Better with the engine sound. It appears slow, but was mostly run from 35 to 70 mph.
  17. Extremenc

Extremenc NC Mtn. Man

Oddometer:
    When I got to the top of the ridge which many of you have seen traveling up I77 on both sides (I went up the west side). I found some interes IMG_0230.JPG ting gravel roads.
    1stgenfarmboy and popscycle like this.
  18. Extremenc

Extremenc NC Mtn. Man

Oddometer:
    And Amazing Views! Looking South from the ridge above Mt. Airy, NC. IMG_0231.JPG
  19. Extremenc

Extremenc NC Mtn. Man

Oddometer:
    Here are a couple of road signs that show the gravel road exits that intertwine with IMG_0234.JPG the BRP on the ridge. Good Riding!
  20. Extremenc

Extremenc NC Mtn. Man

Oddometer:
    Another one.... IMG_0235.JPG