Riding North Carolina, TN and VA

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Extremenc, Jan 23, 2017.

1. helium3

helium3 Beer Battered

Oddometer:
    Thank you. I will try to take you up on that offer maybe closer to mid spring or early summer. I am hoping we keep this weather until then. It would be great to have an experienced guide for the area.
  2. Extremenc

Extremenc NC Mtn. Man

Oddometer:
    Here We Go Again! Heading up to the Jefferson National Forest in SW Virginia. Going to ride in the Forest east of Highway 16. I generally think of the Mt. Rogers Recreation Area as the area West of highway 16, north of Mt. Rogers and west to Konnarock, VA. But this area East of 16 is also called the Mt. Rogers Recreation Area. I ride up the Blue Ridge Parkway from my home in Deep Gap, NC to get there. IMG_0244.JPG Then head North up Highway 16 and arrive at the intersection of Highway 58 and Highway 16, North of the Mouth of Wilson, VA where I find a great place for breakfast or lunch.
  3. Extremenc

Extremenc NC Mtn. Man

Oddometer:
    Pulling out of the Log House parking lot heading North up Highway 16 there is this road sign. IMG_0245.JPG
  4. Extremenc

Extremenc NC Mtn. Man

Oddometer:
    I take highway 735/Teasterwood Road (2nd road to the right north of hwy 58) to get over to the JFS. I discover an amazing number of linked roads south of the forest, about 50% gravel. Great riding gravel and pavement too! IMG_0250.JPG
  5. Extremenc

Extremenc NC Mtn. Man

Oddometer:
    You all know My wife likes goats, and for some reason I always run across some "show goats" on my rides. I was just cresting a ridge on a barley dual track road when I saw a goad in distress. He had stuck his head through the fence and couldn't pull it back out because of his horns. I parked in the middle of the road (only thinking later that my bike would have been a "Bad Surprise" for someone coming over the hill) rushed over and extracted his head from the fence. He was just about to faint, so he didn't offer much resistance. His buddy was continually head butting him apparently trying to get his head out of the fence. Anyway, you can see him (he's the bronze one) in this after photo, and he seems okay. Plus, I didn't get run over. lol IMG_0249.JPG
  6. Extremenc

Extremenc NC Mtn. Man

Oddometer:
    Headed out Flatridge Road then up Panther Creek Road, which is gravel and Fun! Every mile or so there was an interconnecting road that sometimes led me way away from whatever destination I had in mind. Great Riding! Ended up here. IMG_0253.JPG
    bomose and norton73 like this.
  7. Extremenc

Extremenc NC Mtn. Man

Oddometer:
    Heading up Panther Creek. Roads about 8 feet wide and perfect for Gloria, my good ride. IMG_0252.JPG
  8. Extremenc

Extremenc NC Mtn. Man

Oddometer:
    SO many good roads in this area! IMG_0257.JPG
    norton73 and helium3 like this.
  9. Extremenc

Extremenc NC Mtn. Man

Oddometer:
    This FS road was closed. I will try it again in April to see if it is open. IMG_0258.JPG
    norton73 likes this.
  10. Extremenc

Extremenc NC Mtn. Man

Oddometer:
    This one went on for about 2 miles then I had to turn around. IMG_0256.JPG
    norton73 likes this.
  11. Extremenc

Extremenc NC Mtn. Man

Oddometer:
    Found Lost Lake. Beautiful IMG_0254.JPG !!!!
    norton73, helium3 and Lzeplin like this.
  12. Extremenc

Extremenc NC Mtn. Man

Oddometer:
    Here is the last one I am going to post for tonight. Hopefully you can see how tight and fun to ride some of these roads are. I will post some more tomorrow along with a few short videos. Enjoy Your Rides! IMG_0255.JPG
  13. Lzeplin

Lzeplin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like another great ride! That's awesome saving the goat!
    Extremenc likes this.
  14. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Really nice roads in your area. Makes me jealous. Gravel in my area is mostly straight, flat and featureless. Thanks for posting the pics.
    1stgenfarmboy and Extremenc like this.
  15. Extremenc

Extremenc NC Mtn. Man

Oddometer:
    It is a great place to ride. So peaceful out in the forest and on these back roads. I rarely see anyone. I'm wondering what people do with all these goats!
    Lzeplin and helium3 like this.
  16. Extremenc

Extremenc NC Mtn. Man

Oddometer:
    I will bet you have been just about everywhere B10Dave. I have spent a lot of time in Southern Ontario in the Thousand Island area, Alex Bay, Gananoque, Kingston. Not very good riding, but Unique and Beautiful anyway.
    B10Dave likes this.
  17. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have to agree with you about the Thousand Island area of Ont. and N.Y. I have done a lot of travelling by motorcycle over the last 49 years. Eastern Canada and NE USA; west to Montana and then north and out to Vancouver. Every winter for the last 33 years to Fla. for bike week but trailer the bike down and back because of winter weather here. BRP before the Dragon was popular in the middle 80's. Three fly and ride trips to the TT races on the Isle of Man and touring in the UK. Now officially retired and looking forward to Fla. for the next month and out to SLC Utah for the BMW rally in July and on to Washington and BC before coming home. Been a lot of places but now will be riding to a lot of new to me places and returning to some of the best from earlier. Hope to be down your way again for the BRP sometime this summer with my brother in law. Likely before schools get out or Sept. after they go back. Look forward to more of your pics from NC as it is such a pretty riding area.....Dave
    helium3 and Extremenc like this.
  18. MountainNate

MountainNate Long timer

Oddometer:
    Please take me on these roads if I ever get back in the dirt on two wheels. This looks amazing! Especially Lost Lake. Some wonderful motorcycle roads you have near you!
    Extremenc and Lzeplin like this.
  19. Extremenc

Extremenc NC Mtn. Man

Oddometer:
    HEY! We will Go! You would enjoy the paved roads in this little area too, but there is so much gravel, probably 40%, that you wouldn't enjoy it on the bike you have now. It would beat up your tires too much. I'll bet riding your Triumph on highway 58 is Fun! Fun! Fun!
  20. Extremenc

Extremenc NC Mtn. Man

Oddometer:
    Here are a few more photos of my last ride in the Jefferson National Forest. Going to drop a few short videos in this part too. These videos haven't been edited and are not very good, but hopefully will give you an idea of what this area is like. Here's a photo I forgot to post earlier, Duh.... IMG_0268.JPG