Riding RTW and back - on as much dirt as possible!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rtwpaul, Dec 12, 2015.

1. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Aaahhh...memories of Labrador. Good luck getting this sorted!
  2. btrrtlwtr

btrrtlwtr Adventurer

Oddometer:
  3. btrrtlwtr

btrrtlwtr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    hopefully nothing too serious and you get it under control quickly.warm and dry i hope.
  4. hendikaf

hendikaf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK I was just looking at the map …
  5. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    the map is a basic guidance tool for the masses because people like maps :D, enticement to read if you will, but that was years ago, things change, bikes change, routes change, go back to page one and read the whole thing, you'll understand how the route has evolved over time...

...but Africa is in, hold tight we will enter the dark continent in the country I used to live, Morocco...but not for quite a while
    roadcapDen, 78er, JagLite and 6 others like this.
  6. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    I hear you on that, some things down here can have 100 to 400% import duty and tax added to the price

The good - Sorted, positive lead going in the regulator/ rectifier had come off as one of the connectors had corroded and broke, and what do you know I amongst my crap I had the right connector...what are the odds.

The Bad - battery was destroyed, run down and won't recharge back to full voltage, so sourced a new one in Lima, Yuasa of all things

More good - in the US the battery runs about $65 to $70, I was expecting to pay $100 to $150 because of import taxes etc...today there just happened to be a Yuasa sale on and the price was $74

Even more good - needed to stock up on front brake pads, found 'em, $4.50 a pair, obviously not the best brand but for that price, the first place I went wanted $70 a pair!

DSCF8553.JPG
  7. btrrtlwtr

btrrtlwtr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    happy you that figured out
  8. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    A little out of order but it was part of the 80km/ 50 miles downhill roll yesterday from 4000m/ 13,100' down to 800m/ 2600', we stopped to let traffic go by, we'd seen this sign on the way up.

America you are doing it wrong!

Hotel/ Therapy/ Yoga and Pizza...covering all bases, sadly it was up a steep dirt track, so no pizza for me
    DSCF8552.JPG /
    SmilinJoe, Zubb, ntadvr and 16 others like this.
  9. Joe Motocross

Joe Motocross Adjustafork Chef

Oddometer:
    I've always thought that the DR650 would be a great choice for a dirt bike to take around the world. I'm interested to see how these shake out for you two.
  10. snail01

snail01 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Seems like they’ve shaken out well......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  11. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Ha! Yeah, my bad, I didn't realize they'd been riding these for over a year already. Cool. I found the thread that details all the tweaks he did on the bikes also. I'll still be interested on their perspective after it's all said and done.
  12. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    So I sifted through this report from when you guys started riding the DRs. Paul, I really like your style. From working on your own bikes, to minimal gear, diet, “wild camping”, budget, 714 Rally grips, flat tire mastery, etc. Solid. I tip my hat, you seem like a stand up guy. Couple things.

Begpacking and the ADV motorcycle equivalent? WTF?!?! That is all on that….

I am somewhat troubled that the moderators felt they needed to remove some of your content. “Static” or “noise” adds to the reports in my opinion. Much more so than a “LIKE” button.

So back to the DR. Hopefully this isn't considered "static". I’ve gleaned a bunch about the bike from your posts. Things go wrong just like other bikes. Clutches wear out, etc. My thought about the DR is that parts are more readily available in different countries compared to say KTM or BMW. Is that your take?

Two identical bikes for diagnosing problems is perfect especially for electrical/ignition issues. Seems like the DR still suffers from electrical issues just like the rest of the bikes.

Do you think that the cracks in the subframe were related to having the luggage on the back? Or are the DRs just prone to cracking under normal conditions?

One last thing. I may have missed it but I didn’t catch anything about the front forks aside that you changed the oil. Are you running them stock?

Thanks man, good stuff here!
  13. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    The DR is a tractor or a donkey depending how you look at it and want to ride, it can go pretty much anywhere but not always with grace or speed.

Most of the bike can be taken apart with a motion pro trail tool kit and a couple of extra sockets

it is the ideal bike for riding to South America and back, there is a Suzuki plant in Colombia so parts are on the continent, obviously, Colombia is easy to access and actually cheaper than the US for a lot of the parts, other countries they need to be shipped in.

Brake calipers/ pads are used on a few hundred bikes, so pads are an easy consumable to find, and generally its the only one you should need, I carry a spare front and rear sprocket for each bike bolted under the luggage rack, stock is 525 but the extras are 520's as more bikes use the 520 here...that's for emergencies, if we get a chain issue in a little town. 525 are available in the cities but we don't like to go to them

I use Stainless oil filters so I never have to look for them, just give it a clean every other oil change, riding constantly I use dino oil, no need for synthetic, 5 liters for both bikes so leaves a little spare to oil the chains. Bike runs fine on regular 87 gas and we've taken them up to 4850 m/ 15,900' all I did was cut out the airbox, use a 150 jet and 4th position on the needle. Slight loss of power but just give it a little more throttle and its fine, have yet to adjust the air/ mixture

The frame issue seems more prevalent on Australian bikes, more reports of failure but only by a few, but that might be because of more washboard riding, the big safari tank doesn't help, it started as 8 gallons and now its almost 10 gallons!...and as you know Safari is an OZ company so most likely more bikes are supertankers

The electrical issues are not common issues but seem to happen to a lot of bikes :lol3, a pulse coil is a small and easy part to carry, posi-loks make for an easy connection, replacements are everywhere, the issue I just had is a DR fault, an extra one inch of wiring would stop the severe bend the wiring to regulator has to take.

Clutch plates wear, and on my bike due to towing for almost 300km is what took the next set out, just consumables

Front forks are running stock springs with 5wt oil and intimidators and soak up everything we throw at them, again if there's an issue I can just grab some ATF for a top up

100,000km seems to be a benchmark for a lot of singles, a magic number if you will, well both of them are at about 98k, it'll be just another days riding when they hit that mark, no need for a new head, or a rebuilt bottom end etc.

There is a lot more detail on my website, (sig line ⬇️⬇️⬇️, then go to 'BIKES') I do a build thread on every bike unless I trust the quality of the build that the PO did it, in this case, it was a strong no, read the build thread and you'll understand. I owned 3 motorcycle shops and built one-off custom bikes from the ground up for 20 years so to me the DR is a really easy bike to work with
  14. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    While your "hanging out" in Peru, may want to check out this bridge "puente de las verrugas" seems to be a "story" there...

Or, You could interview Egle and then She You...
    Lopburi likes this.
  15. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    if only you'd have mentioned it earlier, we were right there by that bridge THREE times last week, would never have dawned on me to think it had a deep history

Interviews, I have a few to complete and publish before I can think about doing ours, in the pipeline in no significant order, Tiffany, Michnus, Gene and Neda, Anti Hero, Dan (cycle south) J'mo, braaping kiwi...amongst others
    Ichaced, BillUA, 911timo and 10 others like this.
  16. benjamin1031

benjamin1031 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A little off topic but I love your interview series! I’m sure there are tons of great people doing ride reports on here that I have no clue about. Can’t wait to see who else you share with us!!
  17. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    thx, initially I am trying to interview either people I have met in person or spoken to online more than a few times, there is also about another dozen or so who I have messages out there too waiting on a reply...any suggestions are appreciated, please PM me not a reply to this...but don't forget there is an interview series in 'inmates' that's been running for 11 years hosted currently by @Blue Mule my little series is just a way of directing people to his thread and I add a link to the bottom of each interview so you know where to find that series.

More photos to develop today but wifi is slow so not sure if i can get stuff posted, guess you'll have to wait and see...:jack
  18. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    After hanging with the ladies in the market we rode a little stopped a little, nothing special but made sure we were on the west side of Huascarán National Park so we could do a two-day loop, across the park on the #106 and back on the #107, this took us 4 days to complete...:lol3

Screen Shot 2018-11-21 at 6.57.57 PM.png

The pavement ends at Yungay and five minutes later you are at the National Park gate, pay a nominal amount and the gate opens and immediately you are in another world

[​IMG]

The road leads along the extremely blue Laguna de Llanganuco fed by the Nevado Huascarán Sur glacier above it

[​IMG]

Still carrying those tires and still don't need them, but feel like a real adventure rider with an overloaded bike though :jack

[​IMG]

All the Zen dudes got here before us and made their mark like they do with Cairns, just wonder if half the people that do this actually know why they are doing it...or just copying

[​IMG]

The track had become a small stream flowing into the lake and knowing we were headed up to and over 4000mm the thought of wet feet wasn't good

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The sun disappeared behind the clouds and where we were headed did not look too inviting at all

[​IMG]

Looking back down the valley willing the blue sky to come with us

[​IMG]

Looking up it was difficult to discern between the clouds, the snow and the glaciers, but regardless up we went

[​IMG]

Even at this high altitude life blooms as we shiver

[​IMG]

you know when you are on one of those tracks and you take a photo and the next corner will be as good or better, but you still take it anyway...yeah, that!

***click photo for a big version
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The pass some riders call one of the toughest day rides in Peru, well not sure about that, but the views up here are nothing short of spectacular

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We head down the other side still on dirt but the two sides don't have too much of a resemblance after we leave the last glacier.

[​IMG]

We set our sights on Yanama to try and find some lunch, not knowing there were two places with the same name seperated by a valley. As we pull into the first one I get a flat on the front, guessing a pinch flat from the rocky trail, this section of the town has just a few dirt streets and dirt brick buildings. The flat happens right next to the village school and what happens next is nothing short of inspiring, amazing and a little hard work...

...continued

[​IMG]
  19. Geezerguy

Geezerguy In the shadows

Oddometer:
    Awesome looking ride and photos, too. :super
    rtwpaul likes this.
  20. btrrtlwtr

btrrtlwtr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    paul

beautiful scenery thanks for taking such good pix and sharing them