Riding RTW and back - on as much dirt as possible!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rtwpaul, Dec 12, 2015.

1. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    He did put up a map and some thoughts of his next direction
  2. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    Rhymes with Orange? Or the new Motoped:photog
    Whatever, it'll be Groovy.
    rtwpaul likes this.
  3. Helmsman

Helmsman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Long time silent reader here Paul. Enjoy living vicariously through your travels. Thanks for sharing as much as you do, the highs, lows, and even the financial and "how" of packing, gear etc etc. Just wanted to share my encouragement to keep up the good work. I have told many non-riders about this thread and how interesting it has been to learn about different countries.
  4. ntadvr

ntadvr Jason

Oddometer:
    I don’t post much. I have enjoyed all of the RR. The photo,s & the stories that go with them. I also enjoy the tips & tricks! I used the one for installing a valve stem with a 10mm box end & a nut from a tube. Pretty sure I got that from you.
    rtwpaul likes this.
  5. ricochetrider

ricochetrider MotoMojo

Oddometer:
    HA, I guess you never said it was YOU who dropped the hint... actually if I had to pick a bike for solo rough road and trail travel that would be very near the top of the list.
    BelgardaBuddy likes this.
  6. Red_dog

Red_dog Dirt Road Sniffer outerer

Oddometer:
    Hear hear!
    SOLOKLR and torch like this.
  7. Todd34

Todd34 Toubab

Oddometer:
    Paul, I'm just catching up on the RR. When do you plan to be in Bogota? We should link up and have a few beers. PM inbound.

Todd
  8. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    Let's talk about money...RTW costs, that is!

money-x3.jpg

I try and keep real-world costs on a year by year basis, was very lax in the first five years but the last three it has become part of the daily routine and actually helps in being more aware where the money goes and trying to have realistic day to day costs.

I read of other riders doing the same, some seem very accurate where some seem to exaggerate with outrageous high or low amounts, and when questioned get very defensive, where others just simply don't care at all and just say it is what it is. So, I guess I'm somewhere in the middle ground.

For reference, the previous year's posts are below

Money 1.0 is HERE - 2016
    Money 2.0 is HERE - 2017

...but as a brief description,

2016 was two people one bike (Super Tenere) and a yearly daily avg. of $65.86
    2017 was two people one bike for a 1/3 of the time then two bikes and a daily avg. of $65.33
    2018 was two people, two bikes and a daily average of $69.69

So how did 2018 break down?

I track four simple categories - fuel/ food/ lodging and miscellaneous first three are self-explanatory the miscellaneous covers everything that isn't in the first three categories. Parts, repairs, border fees, entrance fees, replacement gear, insurance, medical insurance etc.

the reason solely for the increase in cost year over year was taking two bikes to Cuba and the related shipping costs, if instead we had simply ridden down to Panama and crossed the Darian the normal route 2018 would have actually worked out cheaper than both '16 and '17 by a dollar or so a day.

Averages were

Fuel costs - $2342.28 or $3.21 per day, per bike
    Food costs - $8539.41 or $11.70 per day per person
    Lodging costs - $7261.06 or $9.95 per day per person
    Misc. costs - $7294.04 or $9.99 per day per person (Cuba skewed this number)

So if you skip back to Jan 1, 2018, and review where this ride report took you as a single rider it all could have been done for $12.720.25 (or $34.85 a day) for a year on the road riding thru US/ Mexico/ Guatemala/ Cuba/ Colombia/ Ecuador and Peru

in those 365 there were 69 nights of wild camping, staying with friends or comped rooms, so zero cost. I DO NOT live on noddles on a daily basis, I like a steak, I like a beer or three, I pick nicer places to stay, I DO NOT EVER STAY IN DORMS or shitty hippie hostels

I like to tell you all this stuff not to brag but to share information because there is this illusion that riding RTW is a pastime for the rich, and I AM NOT RICh by any means, but from these numbers, you can see it is more than doable.

Questions???
    guavadude, td63, imnothng and 62 others like this.
  9. MrKiwi

MrKiwi Love my Tranny Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    three years within spitting distance of each other - that's impressive.
  10. TDC_ERock

TDC_ERock Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No question, but thanks for posting.
  11. tlrmark

tlrmark n00b

Oddometer:
    Also no question, but thanks for posting.
    This information is very interesting and more important than most.
    Davidprej likes this.
  12. Dracula

Dracula afficionado Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Paul, it's great to see these details, it enriches the saga of your RR, and they are very interesting and instructive.

Questions:
    If you would have budgeted more, maybe twice as much, per year, how would that have been put to use? More upscale accomodations, Belgian chocolates and caviar? :D Just kidding... am curious if you ever felt missed out on something b/c of it costing too much $$ or you rigorously budgeted for these amounts, or you just relaxed and spent (but consciously), and it is what eventually came out to be. It seems one could live the life style well under 30k a year, which is better than getting fat and dying slowly in a home, in front of a big screen :thumb

What app do you use for expense tracking, and how do you keep remembering to do this every once in a while?
  13. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    just wanted to show its not a fluke
    ktmlance650, 911timo, HiJincs and 4 others like this.
  14. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    Twice as much, WOW! I could have had the best accommodation in town, any town! Some of the places I stayed I did have the best place in town but it might have only been $7 or so...just depends where i was

I don't feel i missed out on anything, I just pick and choose, its impossible to see and do everything anyway, for me its more about the riding.

$30k a year is a huge amount for a single rider to have available, IMO too much...unless you have beers, brandy and filet mignon on a nightly basis

I do it on a daily basis, takes a few seconds, I have a photographic memory for numbers so that tends to help so i don't write it down...but we are only talking about 4 numbers and most days its only two, I don't fill up with gas daily.
    ktmlance650, 911timo, HiJincs and 9 others like this.
  15. MrKiwi

MrKiwi Love my Tranny Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    no fluke, certainly not.
  16. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Beer cost per day?

Are you in Peru at the Dakar with Egle?
  17. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    guessing you didn't read post #4190
  18. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Probably not...but I'm use to failing tests.
    78er and ChicoProf like this.
  19. benjamin1031

benjamin1031 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Question: what’s your favorite color?
  20. ScotsFire

ScotsFire And then a drifter rode into town...

Oddometer:
    Here and there... but more there than here
    Paul,

Thank you for “running the numbers” again. Your story (along with Michnus and Elsebie) was influential in my decision to retire early last year. I will be able to live less expensively traveling than living in one place and working. Spending this winter near my kids (in Seattle) before hitting the road again in the spring has only confirmed that. I need to get going soon as the inevitable accumulation of stuff has been happening since I parked in September.

Keep on keepin’ on!
    torch, TDC_ERock, JagLite and 6 others like this.