Riding RTW and back - on as much dirt as possible!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rtwpaul, Dec 12, 2015.

1. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    Question: Accomodation, do you have a favorite website/app for cheap places or just roll into town and see what you can find?
  2. danh600

danh600 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It would be cheaper for my wife and I to be traveling on motorcycles around the world than to live here.
    Yet, I am still here.
    Insanity is the only thing that explains it.
    HiJincs, JagLite, Davidprej and 2 others like this.
  3. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    I used to just roll into town and preferably get a place on the side of town I came in on so not to make a spectacle and make the whole town aware I had arrived, this is more of a safety/ security issue when you don't know a place and the locals in 'bad' areas may perceive you are a rich target.

In bigger cities when I enter I usually will look on Airbnb or booking for a deal because hotel prices are high, a good example is Quito a decent hotel I the center of the city will run $50 and up, I found a place on Airbnb, a 3 bed apartment with secure parking in the center for $17 a night.

In smaller areas, iOverlander has become a massive help, other travelers doing the grunt work for you.

If none we available in the area I was in, happens quite often as I tend to ride to more remote places and smaller little villages than the 'heading to Ushuaia crowd' who like to stick to the gringo route and Pan American then its a case of looking. In Latin America the Plaza de Armas usually a good place to start in smaller towns, its rare a hotel isn't right there
    Moosietoo, 911timo, HiJincs and 9 others like this.
  4. klebs01

klebs01 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What do you do for health insurance? I've been looking into a trip and the travel insurance seems simple enough, but if I get shipped back to the states and need continuing care that could be quite expensive. do you carry both travel and traditional health insurance?
    Dracula and Davidprej like this.
  5. ricochetrider

ricochetrider MotoMojo

Oddometer:
    Wow, Paul
    All that for just under 13K (per person) USD?

That's pretty impressive, more so knowing you guys were not sleeping in rough conditions, eating chicken scratch, and drinking out of puddles using a filter.

Id say the big take-away is the numbers didn't vary too dramatically from 2017 when you spent quite a lot of time in Europe, then came back to the U.S. & Canada. So not a huge difference between doing a lot of truly first world riding, and riding MX>Cuba>SA.

Bang for the buck, overall = massive.
    Cool.
    Thanks for posting!
  6. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    I use world nomads, for years and everything is covered, I would try not to be repatriated unless absolutely necessary
    911timo, Dracula, jays100 and 2 others like this.
  7. SOLOKLR

SOLOKLR Back to work

Oddometer:
    The other night I looked at the numbers and told my wife, if it wasn't for you the kids and the house I could be riding full time. She said nothing stopping you! I figured I'd better shut up and go back to reading about it.

If you need anything in the Tucson area when you get back, give me a shout.
    78er, HiJincs, Mofrid and 7 others like this.
  8. davidaid

davidaid Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Maybe I missed it, but how do you earn the $65-$70 per day equivalent? I guess a better question is how are you able to finance it?
  9. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    Impressive, I'm retiring in 2 weeks now thanks to you.:clap
    I've read your money 1.0 and 2.0 but had a hard time grasping it's possible, but add 25% to my Loonies = no problem.
    Firstly El Salvador for a month to see if I can handle 18C to 28C temps everyday...
    Then PURGE and plan:photog
    78er, VDG, dano619 and 4 others like this.
  10. jays100

jays100 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great stuff Paul!
    I'm finding it interesting that with all the posts here and elsewhere, this one is by far the single most encouraging, to me at least. The bottom line, it's doable.
  11. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    went to my computer to find that since all I ever use is my phone any more and no post numbers are listed.

sorry to here that but it sounded like a mutual decision.
    i missed that as i miss large chunks of most RRs as i'm out and about for weeks on end and I often just jump in at end.

travel onward my friend.
    Zubb, HiJincs, skibum69 and 1 other person like this.
  12. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    go back and read 1.0 and 2.0 and related comments after its all there in detail
    HiJincs, davidaid and JagLite like this.
  13. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    right now i'm sitting with two indian riders who camped a little more than me and cooked more for themselves and tehy are sitting here arguing about if they averaged $17 or $18 per day, but they agree it wasn't over $20

funnily enough, riding in Europe isn't that expensive as you tend to camp a little more.

Without a doubt the US (and Canada) is the most expensive place for average hotels, what would cost you $75 -150 per night in the US, you get in Europe for $25-50 and in Latin America for $5-$20

Canada is the absolute biggest joke for high priced camping i have found in any country in the world
    911timo, HiJincs, skibum69 and 6 others like this.
  14. Possibly Certifiable

Possibly Certifiable Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As a Canadian, I resemble that remark.... I suck at it but need to get better at stealth camping. I hate paying as much for a place to pitch my tent for the night as I do for the day's food or fuel or sometimes both. Especially since I don't usually partake of the "amenities" other than the toilet and hopefully shower.
    skibum69, Lopburi and rtwpaul like this.
  15. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Expensive yes, but the camp grounds I stayed at were clean and they provided fire wood.
    But I couldn't see paying that much to camp very often.
    rtwpaul likes this.
  16. HickOnACrick

HickOnACrick Groovinator

Oddometer:
    Looks like you may be planning a TAT run? I'm in N. Georgia, not too far from parts of the TAT. I can offer a place to stay if you are in need.
    HiJincs and rtwpaul like this.
  17. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    I'll drop you a pm closer to the time, but yes the new route will be starting with my wheels in or close to the Atlantic and riding the TAT to the Pacific and if all goes well I will be on the beach at the Atlantic on the other side about a year and half later (via Russia etc...)
    78er, 911timo, Cloud-9 and 11 others like this.
  18. HickOnACrick

HickOnACrick Groovinator

Oddometer:
    :rilla
  19. jdgretz

jdgretz Looking for new places Supporter

Oddometer:
    Canoga Park - A great place to live work and shop
    This is probably all you need to know about Russia... (NSFW)

scudo, Rich Rider and Vrode like this.
  20. Jetlag Jon

Jetlag Jon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Only just caught up in this RR, amazing photos and great descriptions . I am planning on South America next winter, so the financial stuff is very interesting: it looks like it's doable on a smaller budget than I thought. Still undecided as to whether ship a bike or buy one there.