Riding RTW and back - on as much dirt as possible!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rtwpaul, Dec 12, 2015.

1. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    won't be my first time in Russia and its pretty much like he jokes about and actually not far off my own experience there...seriously
    skibum69 likes this.
  2. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    depends on you and what bike you THINK you need, the related expenses to just bring a bike for a short time could be excessive, but you didn't say how long you plan to be here or what kind of riding you plan on doing?
  3. Dracula

Dracula afficionado Supporter

Oddometer:
    I watched a review of Husqvarna 701 and looks really sweet, with awesome power. Small gas tank though and am not sure about reliability & maintenance intervals. But wondered if your KTM will ever see travels again like before (if you still have it).
  4. Jetlag Jon

Jetlag Jon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The plan is 3 to 4 months, either shipping the bike to Caracas and back from Buenos Aires, or buying and selling a bike in either Colombia or Peru. An inmate sent me a link to a place in Peru with a guaranteed buy back which looks like a good option. If I bring my own bike, it will be a Himalayan. If I buy, not sure yet, but it needs a low seat height as I am vertically challenged (5'7) I am not keen on big heavy bikes for off road riding. Ride will be dirt as much as possible, and will probably include Ushaia just because of it's geographical location
  5. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    the 701 looks good, but needs a lot spending on it to make it RTW ready and to me its too heavy now. My KTM 625 is up and running, just needs a race-minded person to buy it
    Dracula likes this.
  6. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    guessing you haven't been to South America before? Caracus...dam, second most dangerous city in the world right now, i think the city is averaging 50-60 murders a day (don't quote me) VZ is a nice country great people but DAM! I was there in 2012/13,it is the one country I would avoid right now as a motorcycle traveler.

You can buy a Himalyan in Colombia for $3000-4000 used and $4000 and up for new, i doubt it'd be worth shipping your bike, the Peru company is a good option and look at the Tekon 250 they offer or the x-terra and add 18/21 wheels
    78er, CourtRand, HiJincs and 5 others like this.
  7. Romero

Romero At Cinépolis or OXXO

Oddometer:
    As always....still following.
  8. Jetlag Jon

Jetlag Jon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No, not been to SA before, except a few work trips to Sao Paulo. I have travelled a lot in Europe, Africa (lived there for 20 years) and SE Asia. My original plan was actually to go to Mongolia and the Stan's next summer, but my company won't give me the time off then. They will however give me 3 or 4 months off next winter, so SA seemed a good plan B, especially as I haven't seen any of it. Guess I will give Caracas a miss! Buying a bike in Peru is starting to look a good option.
    JagLite likes this.
  9. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    its the only option i would go for, for a 3-4 month trip, and i'd probably stay in Peru, and still only see a tiny fraction of the country, even if you rode everyday
    Davidprej, skibum69, JagLite and 3 others like this.
  10. Rich Rider

Rich Rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What a fascinating coincidence...I was working as a photographer on a cruise ship (Regency Cruise lines - now defunct) at that same time when the volcano erupted on Montserrat in the early 90s. That was one hell of a trip as we sailed past the island, ashes filling the sky to the horizon and settling as dust on the cruise ship for the entire day we were in the area. I don't recall the solar eclipse at the time, but thanks for the memory jog back in time!
    ricochetrider and JagLite like this.
  11. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Certifiable...your profile says eastern Canada. Do you mean "back east" or really east? If you were only back east that would land you in Toronto.

sorry Paul, I couldn't help my self:lol3
  12. Kiwi Canuck

Kiwi Canuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well Canada does have one thing that's awesome, Russell Peters, and his skit on Indians being cheap is funny as hell.

David
    JagLite, tlrmark, mmanniko and 2 others like this.
  13. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Living in BC you probably refer to Toronto as being "back east " too:lol3
  14. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    The timing and irony of this is just too funny, literally I am in a hostel with two Indians, are they are just cracking up watching this...and agreeing with everything
  15. skibum69

Oddometer:
    We're here to help:lol3
  16. Possibly Certifiable

Possibly Certifiable Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nope, I'm a Maritimer born and raised. Although I'm about as far away as you can get from salt water and still be in the Maritimes. :D I don't consider Toronto "east" but more center-ish.

Enough Canadian humor and Toronto bashing (same thing isn't it?) in Paul's story for the moment. :photog
    tlrmark likes this.
  17. skibum69

Oddometer:
    I don't see the point of living in Atlantic Canada and not being near the ocean and Toronto needs bashing. I think Paul will forgive me, he's known me long enough:lol3
  18. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    After crossing 'that bridge' no one mentioned what an awesome canyon it took you in to

[​IMG]

and with each turn, it got better and tighter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and then dumped out into the next canyon on the other side

[​IMG]

the big problem with Peru is you run out of superlatives!

[​IMG]

you know that saying - 'what goes up must come down', its the opposite in Peru, 'what goes down must go up' and up I went...

[​IMG]

ending up on a track that seemed like a road to a mine, it just had that feeling, and it was. Eventually, in the distance the mine became visible and the track went right thru the middle of it and included going thru a graveyard at the side of the road that I can only imagine is miners who lost their lives

[​IMG]

Taking the track forever upwards thru the mine and looking down where I had come from

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

cresting the top next to a lake and a peak that looked like rusted iron ore in front of me

[​IMG]

just when you think it can't get any better the pass route down the track into a totally different landscape, and each turn you think Peru cannot get any better but it does

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    GSteve, Hans Petter, JL1 and 74 others like this.
  19. MrKiwi

MrKiwi Love my Tranny Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    stunning
    rtwpaul, JagLite and Davidprej like this.
  20. cliffb

cliffb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just WOW!
    rtwpaul and JagLite like this.