Riding RTW and back - on as much dirt as possible!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rtwpaul, Dec 12, 2015.

1. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Put up that concept against the world we live in now. What do you think?
  2. ricochetrider

ricochetrider MotoMojo

Oddometer:
  3. jays100

jays100 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cynically speaking, why is it an “el nino” event then,but global warming today?
    Some thing never change...
  4. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    Carrying on...in Peru!

More dirt, more remoteness, and more amazing scenery

[​IMG]

The following day somewhere up a very rarely used track I stopped to take this photo (that surprisingly Google has been up HERE), and the bike wouldn't start, just a click and then nothing. Sitting at 4850 meters and a storm slowly coming in my direction there was no choice to turn the bike around and try and roll it to a lower elevation...as nothing obvious was wrong that I could find after a quick inspection.

[​IMG]

I rolled about 95% of the way down plus a little pushing and pulling to the town of Charlacayo HERE the freewheel was over 80km/ 50 miles, none stop, a reduction of elevation of around 4000m

at the same time, my Sena battery died so I just hand held my little P&S and videoed a small section

What was it that caused the issue?...this!

[​IMG]

A connector going into the regulator had snapped, allegedly a rare problem that seems to happen to a lot of DR's, there is a very sharp bend where the positive wire goes in. Vibration over time causes the issue, the problem was, it has broken and the battery wasn't charging but the wire was still in place but not touching...took me a while to find it!

The following day heading back up the same general direction I decided to take a different route..who knows why!

[​IMG]

...and somehow got caught up in an army march in the middle of nowhere

[​IMG]

In a small town looking for somewhere to stay, I had to stop and take a photo of this for the English reading who think the tour companies in South America don't like them

[​IMG]

life continues on at a slow and steady pace, the only way you might know the years have changed is the updated dates of politicians pitching themselves for the next government seat

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Riding roads like this it made me think of the riders who make a beeline for Ushuaia and how much good fun is missed by so many by not spending more time in the Andes...just to get south to collect 'that photo'

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The lessor ridden areas of Peru offer some of the absolute best riding in South America, paved and unpaved

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. btrrtlwtr

btrrtlwtr Adventurer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sure am glad you are following and hotographing to road less travelled fantastic photos thmPaul
    John
    rtwpaul likes this.
  6. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way...

Oddometer:
    Wow. Fantastic photo's and story Paul.
    Thank you!
    rtwpaul likes this.
  7. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    MizzouRider likes this.
  8. cavman69

cavman69 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    when you going to tell us about the new bike?
  9. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    soon, let this one have a graceful ending first...:lol3
  10. gavmac

gavmac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've just caught up to this current endpoint in your totally amazing RR, thank you so much for documenting your travels, the beautiful photography, I love the textures that B & W can portray, but the colour & videos are great as well! It has taken me about a month of off & on reading to get here, after starting at Egles blue bike.
  11. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    thanks for coming along, this thread still has a short way to go and of course there will be another immediately following along behind
  12. boboneleg

boboneleg we can rebuild him.

Oddometer:
    Perhaps some cockneys have passed that way before :lol3

[​IMG]
    rtwpaul and scudo like this.
  13. scudo

scudo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Unbelievable, a beautiful place. Thanks Paul.
    rtwpaul likes this.
  14. dondesmo

dondesmo Senior Squid

Oddometer:
    I'm still lurking here enjoying your RR. You have captured some of the best pics of Peru that I seen posted here. Thanks again.
    orv and rtwpaul like this.
  15. gavmac

gavmac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just like London buses, thanks. :)
    rtwpaul likes this.
  16. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    Meandering slowly on deserted back roads and tracks the higher more jagged peaks of the Andes have turned to smooth rolling hills but still the altitude tops 4000 meters

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

tiny little villages pop up and probably not too much change up here for the last 100 years, save electricity

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Miles and miles of nothing, Peru is the equivalent size of the range of the Mexican border to the Canadian border. With a population of 32 million and a little more than 10 million of those living in Lima, the Andes offers solitude whether you want it or not.

Screen Shot 2019-01-29 at 11.23.43 PM.png

I had met up with an Indian rider months before, he was currently in Peru somewhere else and had sent me a message, he put Peru in perspective from his point of view - "India is slightly more than double the size of Peru, India has a population of 1.3 billion...Peru is empty, and quiet, I love it." I could tell he was smiling as he wrote this.

[​IMG]

The occasional small towns are friendly and welcoming, food is available, it is just to fill you and keep you moving...not made to make you sit down and write a 5-star review.

[​IMG]

Each day offers more, a different perspective, a different landscape. I am just glad I am using a digital camera and not film, untold rolls could be used on a daily basis here

[​IMG]

On the occasion you do see some movement in the distance, as you get closer its usually just a llama, vicuña or alpaca looking for better grass.

[​IMG]

Another track, another horizon, another mystery to find over that hill, I haven't seen any other adventure riders in so long it makes me wonder, where are they riding?...but I'm not looking for them either!

[​IMG]
  17. Blumtnman

Blumtnman Rider

Oddometer:
    WOW, another update, another case of eye strain for me. Stunning pics again. Thanks.
  18. TheNetworker

TheNetworker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The pictures of the scenary are just great. That’s why to put Peru on the bucket list.
    Great
  19. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    don't you have a 1200 Tenere somewhere?
    are you in AZ now?
  20. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    Yes I do, its in Louisiana, it'll be my runaround grocery getter while I am prepping the new bike. I have to ride it back in 2 weeks east to west, last time i did that there was a polar vortex...kinda seeing a pattern here