Riding RTW and back - on as much dirt as possible!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rtwpaul, Dec 12, 2015.

1. cavman69

cavman69 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    polar vortex is moving east....
  2. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    I feel for you up there, but hopefully, it stays mostly above the mason dixon line. I had to put a jacket on this morning, only have a high of 72 today
    JagLite, accumack, joenuclear and 9 others like this.
  3. ScotsFire

ScotsFire And then a drifter rode into town...

Oddometer:
    Here and there... but more there than here
    Oh, the tragedy!
    dano619 likes this.
  4. elron

elron Still Standing Supporter

Oddometer:
    -28 actual (-41 wind chill) right now up here in my part of Wisconsin. This photo and your narrative speak well and beautifully to what you've been saying in your recent posts and to an appealing aspect of how I envision motorcycle adventuring.

JagLite, pir8liner and Midwesttrekker like this.
  5. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    it's only -5ºC where I am:D
    JagLite likes this.
  6. gavmac

gavmac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +36C here:D
    skibum69 and MrKiwi like this.
  7. IronRider

IronRider Let's Go!

Oddometer:
    Since we’re on a short temperature theme at the moment...we’ve hit windchill temps of -50°c or -58°f for the past two days in Winnipeg. Oh can’t wait for spring and riding. :dirtdog
    skibum69 and tj92021 like this.
  8. tbailey

tbailey Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Going to be 64 today in Bayou Vista, low 40s tonight.
  9. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    Ha, -35 wind chill today but in 7 hours I'll be struggling with +30 in El Salvador:photog
    Stay warm everybody that's not in OZ.
    JagLite likes this.
  10. jays100

jays100 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    -3F / -30 wind chill today, in sunny CT
  11. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    Before my RR turns into the weather channel...

over that hill was a small finca, no one around but an interesting looking setup, from above on the dirt track

[​IMG]

I decided to head down to the coast to make a decision of where to head next, the population grew

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

it's all downhill from here

[​IMG]

I eventually got to the beach, the point of coming here was having good wifi, and good wifi lives in populated areas...as I need to make a decision

[​IMG]

Peru is great, but just wasn't feeling South America right now so I decided to leave the continent, but the big question was how?

I was literally halfway between Bogota and Santiago, the two easiest place to escape the continent from. The prices were comparable but it would mean riding around 4000km thru Chile and the expense was a lot higher, so I decided on Bogota. Plus, there are other options to get out, containers, boats, etc...

So, northbound and back into the mountains

a quick buzz up the Pan Am, wow it sucks, how do people ride this all day every day!!! ...and got stopped four times by the cops in less than 100km

[​IMG]

right before making the turn to the Andes and remoteness I stopped and grabbed a drink, and when people say the DR650 isn't a big bike...well it is down here, imagine how big your GSA would look in this shot

[​IMG]

It doesn't take long to be back to the tracks I love, hope the pavement will end soon

[​IMG]

This bridge marks the end of the pavement...

[​IMG]
  12. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    I found a track on the GPS that looked like it'd be remote, headed off the main road and went up, and up and up

[​IMG]

reaching a plateau and a lake that wasn't on the map my speedo clicked over 62,137 miles, but why is that significant? Well its 100,000km and a milestone for some bikes, just another day for the DR

[​IMG]

The remnants of what used to be a paved road right at the top, weird how that happens in so many places...dirt for miles and miles then a random piece of blacktop albeit very old and barely there

[​IMG]

At 4850m it was like riding on the surface of the moon, a little loss of power but not much, still have the same jetting as I did at sea level

[​IMG]

There's an option for a more desolate road... I take it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Occasional small glacial lakes are dotted along the side of the road, rarely having to get off the bike to get a shot, good, air is thin up here and the less unnecessary movements are better for the breathing

[​IMG]

I get dropped back out on to bigger dirt track, and see potential signs of life ahead

[​IMG]

Two men are working llamas and are the first people I have seen in hours up here, I shock the heard a little, with the noise from the exhaust and the men turn and see me, acknowledge me with a wave then carry on doing whatever it is llama farmers do!

[​IMG]

a few km's further I ride thru a settlement with no name, if I hadn't seen the two guys minutes earlier I would have thought this place was abandoned, but the buildings look in slightly better condition than theirs so I guess this is a thriving metropolis in the mountains and the people are somewhere out there working the land

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    astroman1, MaNDan, accumack and 71 others like this.
  13. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^^^^^^
    Typically excellent!

Mike
    rtwpaul likes this.
  14. gavmac

gavmac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Paul, when you get to the end of this will you please let us know your thoughts on the latest Motoz tyres, TIA.
    THRASHED likes this.
  15. Don T

Don T Bike Addict

Oddometer:
    He have already reviewed the Tractionator GPS tires.
    I use the same tires on my S10 and second everything Paul says. Really good tires that last forever - I have 25.000 km on mine and they still have a few thousand kilometers left before they hit the wear indicators.
  16. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    NSFW and joenuclear like this.
  17. gavmac

gavmac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have seen his previous reviews thanks, but he changed tyres on both bikes a little while ago after 18000 miles and I wanted to know how he was going with the new ones as he changed tread patterns on one bike. (Which is why I said latest.)
  18. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    if you want to ride more offroad then use the ADV, if you are more of a 50/50 rider then get the GPS, wear is similar but the grip isn't for as good for offroad

I did a review...obviously, you don't follow me on Instagram!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrnSVB1HR6U/

the rears had exactly the same amount of wear after 11,000km but the ADV had A LOT MORE grip than the GPS in offroad conditions
    astroman1, 911timo, jays100 and 3 others like this.
  19. gavmac

gavmac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Paul, no I don't do socials! (I'm unsocial :))

I was also interested as they relate to a bike of DR650 size, most info I've come across is for bigger bikes.
  20. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    after using both i now would only use the ADV, for how i ride, going back to the GPS made me wish for the ADV back on the bike in less than a few miles. I was super impressed that the front knobby got 11k and still had tread left

The bigger bikes chew them up quickly so I've been told, but that's normal for most bikes with more horsepower.
    astroman1, skibum69, MrKiwi and 2 others like this.