Riding RTW and back - on as much dirt as possible!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rtwpaul, Dec 12, 2015.

1. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    Still finding solitude and its great

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Even though there is signs of life, tracks, and manicured fields there is just no one here, Peru really is empty.

A few weeks back talking to locals they were saying the Venezuelan crisis could be good for Peru. "We have loads and loads of land and no one to work it, if the Venezuelans are willing to work hard they can make a great life for themselves in Peru."

I could see where I was headed, following the single track thru and the valley and somewhere out there it would climb to the top and over the other side

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I eventually came out on a rare piece of pavement and rode by a line of motorcycle cops at least 100+ strong, then not a km along the road I am stopped by motorcycle cops, they want to see my license, that's all. a few km later I'm stopped again, motorcycle cops, this time, "Passport Señor?"

Another km and more motorcycle cops, they have a line of cars pulled over so I just ride by. And then there is it, a walled complex to my right on the side of the road...Police Acadamy.

Not even a few km on the other side more motorcycle cops have drivers lined up, they wave me thru without stopping...time to get off this road.

[​IMG]

I find a dirt track off the pavement and take regardless, and head back upwards, now my only company has no interest in me at all.

[​IMG]

At an overnight in a small town I find a hotel with amazingly fast wifi, the owner asks where I'm headed and I tell him vaguely north. "Do you like dirt roads in the middle of nowhere because there is a good one from here that will lead you to the eastern side of the Huascarán national park?"

I pull out a map and he shows me the road, "it'll be very dusty to start, but then get past a few small villages and it'll be you and the llama farmers until you hit Chacas, the views of the Andes are amazing, but get up early its a long ride!"

I woke up late but took the track anyway.

This shot was at around 9.45am and I didn't see another vehicle until it was dark.

[​IMG]

he was right about the view

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Even though passing thru villages there were just no cars around

[​IMG]

...but the Peruvians sure do know how to make a road up a hill

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...and he was right about the llamas

[​IMG]

He forgot to mention waterfalls though

[​IMG]

My track clung to the side of a mountain, just another death road, one of many

[​IMG]

small settlements clung to the edge of hillsides and I slowly made my way thru them

[​IMG]

then back to being by myself up and down, I went

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I took this shot just after 6 pm and almost dark (yes i know it doesn't look like it, i really had to up the exposure to make it show up), it was my birthday and I considered setting up a wild camp here, the sun had already set, it seemed like it would be a cool place to set up camp. Then I came to my senses I was sitting at over 4500m. I really needed to get lower

[​IMG]
  2. MrKiwi

MrKiwi Love my Tranny Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    fantastic scenery
    rtwpaul likes this.
  3. Hometoroost

Hometoroost Adventurer

Oddometer:
  4. Hometoroost

Hometoroost Adventurer

Oddometer:
    GREAT PHOTOS AND COMMENTS AS USUAL. HAPPY BIRTHDAY PAUL. I AM AQUARIAN TOO!
    08StangGT_CS and rtwpaul like this.
  5. squadraquota

squadraquota mostly harmless

Oddometer:
    So, if those police rookies hadn’t used you for target practice, you would not have taken that side road and not ended up in the hotel where the owner pointed you that awesome track. Now that is good karma for your birthday. Thank you Peru Police Academy :-)

Really, what an awesome road, it has it all, the riding, the scenery and the remoteness of a place that seems frozen in time :clap
  6. boboneleg

boboneleg we can rebuild him.

Oddometer:
    Happy Birthday Paul, I'll save the 'bumps' for when you get to UK :D
    rtwpaul likes this.
  7. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    So your birthday was in December?:lol3
    rtwpaul likes this.
  8. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    My birthday was in November...I'm more than a little behind...:fpalm
    astroman1, 911timo, elron and 7 others like this.
  9. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah we know, you've been busy.:rofl
    rtwpaul likes this.
  10. bomose

bomose Long timer

Oddometer:
    All I can say is WOW ! That's what ADV rider's dreams are made of.
  11. Hometoroost

Hometoroost Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hehe Lot more:-)
    rtwpaul likes this.
  12. ricochetrider

ricochetrider MotoMojo

Oddometer:
    OK by me, Paul. Drag it out, as I'm enjoying the ride and (speaking strictly for me) don't want it to end just yet.
    Although sometimes the wait between posts is agonizing! :lol3
    rtwpaul likes this.
  13. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Magnificent!
    ricochetrider and rtwpaul like this.
  14. jays100

jays100 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    JagLite said it best.
    rtwpaul likes this.
  15. orv

orv Busted butt Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow!! You continue to expose more and more exotic and awesome places to ride a motorcycle. You do it without fanfare; it is what it is, its just that most of us never knew it was there. Thank you for your work! I never cease to be awed by the sharp, steep, jagged edges of the youthful mountain ranges of South America. They make our Rockies look tame and old by comparison.
    rtwpaul likes this.
  16. scrubb

scrubb Master of Mayhem

Oddometer:
    I just started reading some of your trips reports a few weeks ago, but I must say, "WOW!" Your travels around Peru and pictures are magnificent. I have to say I agree with you about some ADV'ers just making a beeline for Ushuaia, when instead there is much more beauty, adventure, culture, and pureness, to be had on the roads less traveled in the countries that they are quickly passing thru. Just seeing your pictures, makes me think that a trip directly to Peru would be amazing to rent/buy a couple of bikes, and just head into the Andes.

I read about one village where you were shoo'ed away from hostels, and one guy chased you with some shears. That doesn't dissuade me, however, in your journey's, have you had times where the locals mistrusted you (or was bad mojo around) and you thought it best to keep on passing thru? After all, you (we) are strangers, and foreigners at that, so I can understand if they have some suspicion and distrust. I know that you usually try to stay in the end of town where you arrived (to cause less commotion), and I think that is a wise choice.

And lastly, this picture below....sweet baby jeebus, that is amazing. Those road designers/builders were loco (in a good way)! Keep up the great work, and THANK YOU for sharing your stories and allowing us to live vicariously thru you.

Cheers,

[​IMG]
    glenbee, Yannick, elron and 6 others like this.
  17. adventurebound9517

adventurebound9517 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would wish you a Happy Birthday but since it's been two months now.........Oh well. happy belated Birthday. :-)
    kiwial and rtwpaul like this.
  18. scudo

scudo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It just gets better and better, the views with the mountains in the background were stunning. Happy belated Birthday Paul.
    rtwpaul likes this.
  19. elron

elron Still Standing Supporter

Oddometer:
    You're killin' it Paul. :super
    rtwpaul likes this.
  20. MrKiwi

MrKiwi Love my Tranny Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    As a past mountaineer when I saw this picture I wished I was 30 years younger so I could pack my bags and head off to climb those beasts...

[​IMG]
    RiderRick, Junya, Dracula and 6 others like this.