Riding RTW and back - on as much dirt as possible!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rtwpaul, Dec 12, 2015.

1. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    I'm not saying there is anything wrong with making a beeline for Ushuaia, a lot of riders have a strict time frame, and the Pan Americana and Ruta 40 have this mythical status, and both roads, on the whole, are absolute shite!

I probably spent maybe 150km-200km on the Pan Am this time and saw more riders on those short sections heading south than the rest of my time combined, when the photos that I added here are less than a half days ride away from the Pan Am.

I just think its a shame for a rider when they get home and in later years they see something like this and now wish they could have ridden some of these areas, but just had that once in a lifetime opportunity and rode straight by.

Again another reason why I write a ride report, just to open up areas that are accessible, that riders may have not discovered or thought is too dangerous. @michnus and I spoke about doing a series debunking the 'Worlds Most Dangerous Roads' he and I have yet to ride one, that virtually ANY rider couldn't ride...and between us, we've ridden a lot of them...

Also, riding the Pan Am is way more expensive, there are more tourists, so higher prices on everything...just something to ponder.

When I return to SA again and I will I'll get more remote and even slower still
  2. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    I can't even imagine the feeling of euphoria to be standing on that tallest peak and be looking this way instead, that must be amazing
    accumack, BillUA, Yannick and 5 others like this.
  3. 2old2Bbold

2old2Bbold was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    Most of the time it's the climb up that is the most interesting part. Once you get there it's - take a look around, take a few pictures and get the hell off before the weather gods decide to kill you.
    ricochetrider, rtwpaul and MrKiwi like this.
  4. scrubb

scrubb Master of Mayhem

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I too was not meaning it as derogatory or an insult. Sometimes words can be misconstrued when they are typed. I think a beeline is fine if that is what someone wants. Still an amazing adventure.

You are exploring places like I explore where I live or when I visit places. What I mean is, many people / friends I know just don’t really truly explore where they live or visit somewhere. They just do the main stuff. And when I tell them what I have explored thru hiking, mtn biking, and motorcycling, they are in awe and had no idea that was close to home, or where they visited. The road less traveled.

Bottomline, different strokes for different folks.

Thanks for your perspective and feedback. Ride safe brotha.
  5. MrKiwi

MrKiwi Love my Tranny Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    As @2old2Bbold says most of the thrill is in the climb. But I was one climber who once on the top would savour the moment for as long as I could. For me standing on the top of the that part of the world was very euphoric. But I never got to South America.

Your pictures of Peru have made this old climber quite happy, I love seeing a country's heartland.
    Yannick, rtwpaul and 2old2Bbold like this.
  6. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    After the lake the sun dropped and the temperature dropped quicker, the track became worse or maybe it was my imagination, the headlight was making the track look like it was lined with basketball size rocks with the huge shadows it created.

eventually, the tarmac started and I was in San Luis, a tiny little town that I immediately recognized. It was the same town I was chased out of a parking lot by a guy wielding shears. I recognized it straight away, but this time around I saw an ambulance outside and maybe it was a small hospital or insane asylum!!!

I carried on because on the GPS there was another town close by called Charcas. I rode to the town square, it was very dark and as I stopped to look at my GPS to see if there was a hotel/ hostel close by a lady approached me and offered me a room in her 'hotel' that was nearly finished.

I inquired about the possibilities of food and she offered to make me dinner. She was intrigued if I had been here before. I replied "no!"

"Ok, so I will give you a room with a view over the plaza so when you wake in the morning you can go outside and take it in, its one of the nicest colonial plaza of any small ton in Peru."

I woke up to this...

[​IMG]

The plan for the day was a short 111km ride to Caraz via Huascarán National Park (again)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This time I decided to take it a lot slower and take it in, this would be my last really up-close look at the Andes for a while

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'd read about others that had been up here recently had snow or rain and virtually no visibility...not me

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I came thru the tunnel at the top and must have sat in the spot for a few hours just absorbing the view

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To give you an idea of the 360-degree view from up here ...this was behind me

[​IMG]

A few minor side tracks reveal different views, you honestly can't get enough of this if the weather is on your side

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I rolled into Caraz late in the afternoon and by morning I was suffering the worst food poisening I had ever had, it kept me in the same place for two weeks, terrified to move more than ten feet from the safety of the bathroom
  7. TheNetworker

TheNetworker Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hello Paul,

Light and shadow so close together. This great view ist heart opening heaven. But two weeks on food poisoning is hell.
    Any idea what the guilty food was that made that damage to your internal wetware?
    rtwpaul likes this.
  8. scrubb

scrubb Master of Mayhem

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about food poisoning. I’ve been there done that.

Quick question Paul. How would you rate your Mosko bags? How are they holding up? Any weaknesses and/or concerns?
    rtwpaul likes this.
  9. bomose

bomose Long timer

Oddometer:
    This may be a strange question, but what type chain lube do you use? Straight oil or a specific lube? As always, fantastic photos.
    rtwpaul likes this.
  10. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    of all things i'm gonna say Chinese food, its a very big thing in Peru and usually very good. I was bad for days before calling a doctor. Then it was ADVrider to the rescue, I contacted a good friend and inmate who is a doctor @J.Luis Vázquez and he prescribed drugs for me and got me better, so much thanks to him for being there. I couldn't have physically gotten to a doctors office
  11. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    I have put all my Mosko bags thru absolute hell, and tested them to their limits @Sideoff made an amazing product and I wouldn't use anything else.

The only time they showed minor weakness was during the bear attack, and even then they held up, so I can say without uncertainty they are a product that if you haven't considered you really should take a look
    accumack, Merfman, Team Vegas and 6 others like this.
  12. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    Hey no problem, I use a ghetto chain oiling system, when i do an oil change the bike uses just over 2L so I save the rest in an old coke bottle and carry a folding toothbrush and oil the chain regularly and applying it with the toothbrush it gets a clean at the same time. This is normally enough oil to last me between oil changes...and I have a little spare on hand if I burn any oil and need to top off.
    astroman1, Cloud-9, scudo and 17 others like this.
  13. Yannick

Yannick Asterix the Gaul

Oddometer:
    Yes, a good idea to use your used oil. chainsaw oil is also the best price-quality ratio to lube your chain. (Sorry ... redneck trick)
    wee-twin, rtwpaul, MrKiwi and 2 others like this.
  14. BelgardaBuddy

BelgardaBuddy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Paul.
    Fantastic pictures as always!
    Such beautiful landscape and the riding seemes superb in remote Peru. What a bummer the food poisoning must have been! I am happy you are so kind to share your adventure and knowledge. It is generous and inspiering people like you who are building the riding community:clap
    Take care
    rtwpaul likes this.
  15. FinTec

FinTec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, since we are all playing "20 Questions" with Paul, I'll through one in:

Paul, I tour with a hatchet and I believe (could be wrong) I saw in a past post of yours you do as well. I like it for all kinds of things: wood cutting, using backside as a hammer for 101 tasks, playing "Ax Cop", etc.

Have you ever had issues at border crossings or local law with your hatchet?

Fin and MechanicO
    rtwpaul likes this.
  16. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    Yep still have mine, dozens of borders crossed and never an issue, and there is a reason, an ax is a tool, not a weapon, same as a machete, same as a hammer
    astroman1, 911timo, jays100 and 5 others like this.
  17. scrubb

scrubb Master of Mayhem

Oddometer:
    I wonder if Pete has added “bear tested and RTWPaul approved” to his product highlights? :jack

Carry on sir!

B775D22C-F1A9-42A0-A1EE-9E3C534D90EE.jpeg
    jays100 likes this.
  18. Geezerguy

Geezerguy In the shadows

Oddometer:
    Great group of photos and accompanying text, Paul. Sorry to hear about the food poisoning. Hope the crapper had a view.
  19. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    those bags went on tour :kat after the bear attack
    accumack, Merfman, JagLite and 4 others like this.
  20. Dracula

Dracula afficionado Supporter

Oddometer:
    "I came thru the tunnel at the top and must have sat in the spot for a few hours just absorbing the view"

After catching up, reading and savouring all the beauty you captured, the above phrase sums it all up for me. Just you and your soul, free and fully aware of being alive. It's what you do.

How the hell can you avoid food poisoning, I wonder. There aren't health inspections and sanitary ratings down there - most likely.
    scrubb likes this.