1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Riding RTW and back - on as much dirt as possible!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rtwpaul, Dec 12, 2015.

1. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Because of owning motorcycle shops and building hundreds of bikes for customers from the ground up and owning over 200+ bikes personally in the past I would say a very big no to getting attached to any of them. To me they are just a tool that needs to be correct for the task at hand, whether it be for show, speed, dirt, distance etc

When I was building I would build a bike how I wanted it, usually not in the fashion that matched my customers, mainly because I could. Because of this, I built some very unique and radical bikes over the years (for me) which in turn helped grow my business because potential buyers saw that the options were literally endless even if they didn't want to go extremes.

Moving into production bikes after getting out of the m/c business I rarely can jump on a bike 'as is', to me a bike needs to 'look right' for me to excited to ride it daily, then it needs to perform right, in the scenario of where I'm headed and what i'll need it to do when i get there.

Probably the closest a bike came to this was the XR650R, but my body, specifically my right leg having to kick start it wasn't in agreement.

I am thinking the new bike will be my favorite as it checks off a lot of boxes and is the combination of things i have liked from other rides rolled into one bike, so check back with me in the next ride report and see if thats still the case.
    Yannick, Geezerguy, JagLite and 13 others like this.
  2. radmann10

radmann10 Derf Supporter

Oddometer:
    Still keeping us waiting? I thought you were going to pull the trigger on the KTM/Husky 500/501? Ticks all of the boxes, E start, good power, after market parts available to farkle her up.
  3. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    working on it right now...nearly there
  4. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    Mid-morning arrival in a tiny Puebla I'd planned to get to for lunch (i can't remember the name) had me sitting around taking in daily life as for the day began. The lady in the kitchen asked if I'd mind waiting for an hour or so...I'd been here before and her cooking was good, some of the best I'd eaten in rural Peru, I was in no rush so yes!

I sat outside on the curb as just observed...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then this guy and his horse comes and sits next to me

[​IMG]

His buddy arrives and the drinking begins, its 10.30am, I just sit and wonder if these guys said to each other before the first drink...its gotta be 5.30 somewhere!!!

[​IMG]
  5. Mofrid

Mofrid Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow ... thanks
  6. Dracula

Dracula I don't want a pickle! Supporter

Oddometer:
    That didn't look like beer. Who knows what those guys do for a living...
    torch likes this.
  7. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    the guy with the horse had just made a delivery of a sack of something to the guy handing the drink, maybe partial payment :beer
    JagLite and Dracula like this.
  8. adventurebound9517

adventurebound9517 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Paul, I do like your take on travel. I'm a people watcher also and can appreciate your { no hurry } take on life.
    JagLite likes this.
  9. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Paul,
    I always wonder if you ask before taking a picture?
    You get such excellent candid people pictures and that is not easy to do.
    Davidprej likes this.
  10. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    a couple of different options.

A big zoom lens, I had a 300mm with me, so 450mm equiv.

This is a technique called sniping, some that do it look to get one perfect shot i.e. a sniper - where others try to take multiple shots, I do both depending on the situation, I am generally so far away they don't even know and shots are taken in RAW so blowing them up/ cropping is easy

or

if I'm walking around I mastered a technique a long time ago to take shots from the hip with the camera hanging by my side, with a silent shutter as I walk by. You might be surprised how many I post that I take like that.

I prefer candid shots over requested shots, which I also do as well, but they rarely turn out as good IMO. A very simple line to say is "I love how you look, I'm a street photographer, would you mind if I take your photograph." But be prepared for various reactions and possibly a one would question response, "why?".

There are a few very good videos on this technique and what the possible outcomes can be, HERE & HERE & of course HERE & HERE
  11. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I love the hats:D
  12. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    trying to finish this ride report up so I can start a newer lighter dirtier version...

@mak had asked me to take a few photos of his bike for his return to Colombia so he could sell it, he headed off to get it cleaned from this to this -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As his bike was a Colombian registered bike he'd bought there it would be an easy sell to a local or a traveler. The latter interested me where he would find an international buyer..."Horizons Unlimited" he stated. So we had a look to see if anyone was looking to buy in Colombia around the dates we roughly planned to be there...nothing!

...but I spotted a listing of a guy looking for a bike the same week I had planned to ship mine out. Not holding out much hope I dropped him a message, he replied instantly and we went back and forth with a few questions and answers then he said where do I send the money! I told him I wanted at least 50% down, he agreed and in minutes the money was in my Paypal account.

At this point I really had not any intentions of selling, I was working with Veronica in Bogota about flying the bike back. A few days before Mak and I had made a spreadsheet of all the options she was offering -

The final destination was Phoenix, to either ride there or ship direct, prices are not exact due to not knowing the exact final crate estimates

• Bogota - Miami $1850 +/-
    • Bogota - LA $2750 +/-
    • Bogota - Panama City $900
    • Bogota - Phoenix $2900 +/-
    The problem was flying it to Phoenix wasn't a good option because they just don't do it from Bogota, so the bike would have been ground freighted from Miami to Phoenix.

We sat and looked at these options and then the possible extra days on the road and added costs...especially the Panama option and riding back thru CA...yikes! All of them came in around $100 difference from each other. At this point, we were sitting in central Peru

...but now none of this was necessary at all because I had a sale. Veronica sent me an email telling me she had received a new quote to Phoenix for $2200, I thanked her for her time and told her the bike had sold so no need for shipping any longer.

To me, my original thoughts were get the bike back to PHX take off a lot of the expensive add ons sell them separately and then sell the bike as a basic adventure bike with just upgrades like, tank, luggage rack and a few other minor things, now this wasn't a worry, now the worry was getting the bike to Bogota in one piece.

Now in my head, I was $2200 better off!

This certainly didn't make me stay on paved roads or the Pan America for safety, if I broke the bike I would simply fix it before his arrival.

We passed a sign somewhere along the way, one of many we'd seen and could easily be the title for this ride report - "Pavements ends"

[​IMG]

One last pork dinner in Peru then it was time to cross back to Ecuador

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I picked a slightly different route north but keeping to dirt, this time through the rainy season was in full effect and photos were reduced, only taking the occasional shot here an there...plus maybe a little lack of motivation as South America ending was now a reality with a timestamp

[​IMG]

I used a few of the dirt tracks @CourtRand had shared with me months before and headed north via Banos, Mak and I agreed to meet back up in Quito later

[​IMG]

Once we had reacquainted I promised to show Mak a few odd tracks because he hadn't seen too much of Ecuador, passing by quickly making a beeline for Peru and the mountains, his main goal.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mak sat patiently a few times as I was taking my last few panaramas

[​IMG]

our last section of Ecuador was west to east crossing near the border on a remote track I had ridden a few times and I promised to get a few good shots of him on the trail.

[​IMG]

I took to an area that could be Ecuador's equivalent of the BaM road and collapsed bridges

[​IMG]

and the beginning of more than a few waterfalls

[​IMG]

he was having a blast

[​IMG]

A quick crossing and we were back in Colombia and more mud

[​IMG]

It took us almost two hours to complete this part of the track from where we'd seen the last house to where we'd see the next one, and this guy was pushing his bicycle with a bag of grain over the crossbar, makes you wonder how often he makes this journey thru the rain forest.

[​IMG]

Maybe not too far as a short while later we met ranchers moving cattle and this was the only traffic we met along here

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He was having fun and his once clean and shiny bike was now looking like it needed a fresh cleaning

[​IMG]

Out from the rain forest an back into the mountains we rode up from the bottom of the valley (see the track) to here

[​IMG]

and traversed at altitude for a few days heading north

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We planned our last section of dusty dirt track before heading back to the Steel Horse where we'd both stayed before

[​IMG]

The plan was to use the SH as a staging cleaning area for me to head off to Bogota and him to Medellin to our respective buyers, we didn't waste any water in the process, mother nature took care of the washing and all the bike needed was a quick wipe down between showers

and it was ready for the new buyer (a non-inmate)

[​IMG]

I arrived in Bogota a day later parked it and never rode it again... @Tricepilot took the final photo (he was here for a few weeks riding) before the buyer rode it away

[​IMG]

My very last photo of the DR was this...I don't name bikes!

[​IMG]

It had covered 70,225 km/ 43,635 miles with me and actually a few more as I had a few tracks that didn't register so call it 44k, never once did I have anything similar to the issues Andi @Two Moto Kiwis had when he owned it prior to me

[​IMG]

I hoped a cab early the following morning and before I knew it 'merica was right there.

[​IMG]

not too many hours later I got to the house in Phoenix and a delivery had beat me there a few days before!

The ride is not over, by far, it's about to take a whole different twist and continue...

[​IMG]
  13. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    Any questions, fire away?
  14. horsti

horsti Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Coooool, another EXC-ADV-World ride:clap
    rtwpaul likes this.
  15. CASTIMOTO

CASTIMOTO 690 Enduro R

Oddometer:
    Where to next? :)
    rtwpaul likes this.
  16. elron

elron Still Standing Supporter

Oddometer:
    Build...refit thread coming? or...?
    rtwpaul likes this.
  17. TheNetworker

TheNetworker Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hello Paul,

Nice one - what size is the Engine?

Six Days are available in 250 ccm to 500ccm...
    rtwpaul, ktjim and Davidprej like this.
  18. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    wow...epic adventure. thanks Paul for the details and awesome photography.

lots of us with plans to travel are learning from your RR.

great job.
    rtwpaul likes this.
  19. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    what's your average expense per day? by region or countries.

really interested if i can afford it...:D
    rtwpaul likes this.
  20. radmann10

radmann10 Derf Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can't wait to see the build and follow along on the RR! If you need anything in Phx let me know!
    rtwpaul likes this.