Riding RTW and back - on as much dirt as possible!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rtwpaul, Dec 12, 2015.

1. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding... Supporter

Oddometer:
    or maybe his older brother!!!
    Max Wedge likes this.
  2. mrbreeze

mrbreeze I keep blowing down the road Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm enjoying this thread, and I enjoyed your interview piece as well. Thanks for sharing.
    rtwpaul likes this.
  3. Neil_The_Wheel

Neil_The_Wheel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Outstanding pictures once again. I really enjoy RTWPaul threads, especially in the winter months as my riding is very limited here in the Pacific NorthWest were it is cold and wet for a good part of the year.

Hope you had a Merry Christmas and wishing you and El a Happy New Year and continued safe travels.
    rtwpaul likes this.
  4. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    Interview commitments are now complete. While I was waiting for answers I have been updating and switching to my new website, and was going to do a post on the real cost of RTW travel for one year, would that be something anyone is interested in and want me to post it here?
  5. Mossy87

Mossy87 Irish inside!

Oddometer:
    Very interested. I am currently piecing together some information on this and any information would be greatly appreciated.
    Davidprej likes this.
  6. Neil_The_Wheel

Neil_The_Wheel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Interested in your post on the real cost of RTW travel for one year. Please post it.
    Davidprej likes this.
  7. Idahohigh

Idahohigh Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    YES
  8. adventurebound9517

adventurebound9517 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Absolutely. I may never get out of our country but I'm sure your information will be valuable just the same.
  9. tj92021

tj92021 n00b

Oddometer:
    Sounds like an interesting read, post it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  10. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Sloppy 300 rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    As you saw in your interview, I am interested in the finical of RTW travel. I have seen people say it cost them 100-150k/yr and I have seen others that said they spent well under 10k/yr.

I really like your thoughts about how slowing down will save money.
    Davidprej likes this.
  11. jnowako

jnowako jake

Oddometer:
    Always interested good sir
  12. squiffynimrod

squiffynimrod maximum shrinkage Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes please
  13. btrrtlwtr

btrrtlwtr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yes Paul that would be great thx. Thx for all the work that goes into this sort of report
    Davidprej likes this.
  14. HeliMark

HeliMark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Another vote for posting the information here.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
    Davidprej likes this.
  15. SavannahCapt

SavannahCapt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes.
    Davidprej likes this.
  16. vtmactech

vtmactech Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, very interested.
    Davidprej likes this.
  17. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    OK, there is interest in RTW finances so I'll put that together in the new year, Jan 6th marks a year so it'll be after that.

Now a little more Crete...

A topic of conversation that has come up a lot, with locals and other Greek riders is, Olive Oil...Greece is a massive producer of olive oil, so much in fact that they produce way more than they can consume. One of the big buyers is Italy, who then rebottle it and call it their own and more often than not in a fancy bottle and call "premium" or something along those lines. Basically, the higher price you are paying is additional shipping charges to get the oil from Greece to Italy!!!

Have a look in your kitchen at that expensive Italian olive oil you have there, does it say blended...well that means it is a percentage, probably a large percentage of Greek oil...so you wasted extra money for packaging, advertising and shipping. Buy Greek, it's the same thing and heaven knows Greece could use the money!!! Here's a little education

What does this have to do with riding I hear you say? Well, I search out interesting places to see in the normal places but also use a site called 500px, it's a photography website and I found an interesting photo of an olive oil factory...so we set off to find it.

When I originally found we were staying in the mountains so it would have been a long ride to get here, we held off until we moved.

This is the Olive Oil factory, or at least what remains of it behind the Monastery of Agios Georgios in Karydi founded around 1600. It opened for olive oil production in 1825 and was producing around 25,000 barrels of oil a year until 1923 when the monastery and most of the surrounding olive trees were destroyed by fire

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Those four large granite wheels were used to 'press' the oil from the olives...

It lies in an area surrounded by amazing twisty roads

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Coming into a little village we found this...which came first the tree or the road? Anywhere else they would have just cut it down.

[​IMG]

Getting higher into the mountains you can see trials everywhere and all accessible to anyone, every single trail you can see here is a dirt road...makes you think?

[​IMG]

Whats it like living on the beach? Well this is 'our beach' for $350 for the month!!!

[​IMG]

...and a short walk down the beach you can get to the town of Rythimno

[​IMG]

As you can see the weather has been somewhat cold, lots of rain down here and gale force winds have pretty much stopped riding for fun, yesterday we were given a reprieve so we headed out to Balos Beach and the surrounding area on the far western tip of the island, more minor offroad trails

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No tourists out here today just the mountain goats or as they call them in some parts of the states, Rocky Mountain Sheep or a variation of them anyways

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

riding around a corner we stop to take a photo its all quiet and we turn and see something that instantly reminds me of this

[​IMG]

we find a very surprised goat!!!

[​IMG]

After that surprisingly all the goats were like this, eyeballing us!!!

[​IMG]

Why come to a beach in the middle of winter...?...this!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Inmate @NKOrange who lived here gave me a few places off the beaten path to head to this beach was one of them, but it gets better this is only half of the beach, this is all of it and yes the water is that blue...(you can click these images to make them larger)

[​IMG]

His remaining plan for us was to head further along the coast thru more little villages on some stunning mountain roads with great ocean views

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you are sitting somewhere in the snow hopefully that helped you get away for a while...

HiJincs, s1n4n, AgmanBrad and 38 others like this.
  18. squadraquota

squadraquota mostly harmless

Oddometer:
    Crete looks absolutely fantastic, thanks for showing its beauty to us.

About trees that were there before the road came, fortunately they are spared in some places...
    This one stands in the middle of the a58 highway in the Netherlands. It's called the Anneville oak, after a mansion that once stood nearby. The tree was one in a row lining the driveway.

IMG_3572.JPG
    Team Vegas and rtwpaul like this.
  19. superminoh

superminoh A DEPLORABLE

Oddometer:
    I am in on the yearly cost also. Thanks
    rtwpaul likes this.
  20. MrKiwi

MrKiwi Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    At the risk of butting in on Paul's RR - And this one too. Paul did start this discussion :hide
    [​IMG]
    RoninXTZ and rtwpaul like this.