Riding RTW and back - on as much dirt as possible!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rtwpaul, Dec 12, 2015.

1. FenceJumper09

FenceJumper09 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fantastic! Thanks for taking the time for this!
    rtwpaul likes this.
  2. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Date a journalist it opens you up to a different way of putting your point across I guess :deal
    MrKiwi, dave6253 and kevinsinvegas like this.
  3. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    it's weird until its pointed out to you, and I have had that same conversation more than a few times is not something most people think about but when you do hear it, its that 'why didn't I think of that type scenario'
    SmilinJoe likes this.
  4. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    swapped cameras and upped to LR6 for processing
  5. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    Its a conversation that happens a lot online with people saying that its an impossible dream, I just wanted to show its not...I understand its still out of the reach of a lot of folks but now i hope that the possiblity is somewhat closer than they thought

Ok so i'll see you on the road then!
  6. waterlogged

waterlogged Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Paul,

Very enlightening. As you know, I'm researching doing a RTW on a motorbike. Traveling by bicycle, for me, costs about $30AU a day, so the cost difference of riding a motorcycle ATW is really negligible, considering the ease with which one can cover ground, on my push bike I cover an average of 80 Km/Day. As you pointed out, slow travel is the way to go.

Now this'll blow you away, when I first started this travelling gig, back in 1976 and technically 15 years old [I was 1 month out from my 16th birthday, so I called myself 16 YO] I took my bicycle and with a mate of the same age, went and rode a it around Tasmania, we lived in Western Australia, some 3700 Km's away. We were on the road in Tassie for 10 weeks, total on road costs......... $120 AU !!!!!! Check THAT out man!!!!!! 12 bucks a WEEK....... :clap:clap:clap Here's the spoiler, it took me a whole year to save up for the entire trip!

Once again, thanks for the breakdown. I've got a little hike which'll take about a year, but once that's completed, I'll hit the motorised RTW trail, quite likely on a WR250R...... :-):-)

Al.
  7. Raconnol

Raconnol Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hello Paul, great information, thank you for sharing.

I see you have medical insurance listed in miscellaneous. What carrier are you using and have you tested them out?

Rick
  8. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    I honestly forgot about that fact...thanks for the calculation.

Spolier alert the goal will be exceeded
    lubelhu, dave6253, scudo and 2 others like this.
  9. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    Another spolier alert...

I've decided to change the way I (we) travel to be able to do what you are asking for, I have had a request from a couple of publishers to complete a book with photos I already have. The problem is I am not 100% happy with what I have, so a lot of places will be revisited at a much slower pace to give more time to detail and photograph them and also then to be able to create a series of books with extreme high res photos.
    astroman1, MaNDan, SmilinJoe and 7 others like this.
  10. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    In the Americas I used World Nomads, on this RTW I haven't had to use it at all, but last time I was down in Central America and again using WN I had to use it and the interaction was great. My buddy Kevin @kevinsinvegas who left with me had to use his within a few weeks of leaving when he came off his bike and was laid up with a broken leg. AFAIK everything worked out great for him.

Other points kind of related to medical, if you ride in Mexico and are on the 'cuota'/ toll road, your toll covers you for medical emergencies that happen on the 'cuota' so a little extra coverage.

In Europe medical insurance wasn't bought as I have dual citizenship...so I guess you could add another $206 for 3 months travel in Europe as this is the maximum you'd be allowed to stay here due to the Schengen Agreement
    SmilinJoe and 911timo like this.
  11. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    Wow, who would have thunk that little amount of $?

Thanks, you say you don't help El with photo's but does she help you in writing? I may have seen a difference as of late.:type

57,064km= 5,706,400,000cm
    rtwpaul likes this.
  12. Mossy87

Mossy87 Irish inside!

Oddometer:
    Wow! Thanks for the info Paul. It is very helpful.
    Also, as I said before, your ride report is inspirational.

Since I started reading it I have managed 12k miles on my GS around Western US (I think this is ok since I have to work :rofl) and also started saving for an eventual RTW.
    Your figures (to me at least) put it in a much more realistic grasp for something I can achieve in the coming years! Thank you!
    Donsesso and rtwpaul like this.
  13. Davidprej

Davidprej Davidprej Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great summary. The part of the 'travel slow' strategy that I was missing was the riding done while staying in one place. It didn't makes sense that you could travel farther by traveling slower, but it makes perfect sense that you can see and experience more as you travel around the home base.
    rtwpaul likes this.
  14. J.Luis Vázquez

J.Luis Vázquez Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Jeráhuaro de Juárez/ Los Azufres Michoacán
    That was a very comprehensive information about the costs of RTW Paul, as for the slow traveling I experienced this on our last year's ride thru USA, the more we stayed in a place, the cheaper it became for the reasons you already detailed, of course our longest stay in a single place were 4 nights in Montana, no comparison. But it is a wise principle, thanks for taking the time to share this.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
    rtwpaul likes this.
  15. Geezerguy

Geezerguy In the shadows

Oddometer:
    Paul,
    Thanks for the facts, figures and insight. It all makes sense to me, but as you say, it is not that obvious if you don't think about it with a "Travelers" mindset instead of a "Tourists" mindset. You explained it very well, as usual. I am liking the thought of being able to purchase one or more books detailing your travels. Ride on, ride safe.
    rtwpaul likes this.
  16. Rider390

Rider390 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That was a great article on the RTW cost details, Paul. Great reference document for RTW aspirants.
    rtwpaul likes this.
  17. vtmactech

vtmactech Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can you post a photo(s) of how and where you store your cameras, lenses, and laptop since you are not using a top box? I am currently debating between top box and duffel bag. With top box, plan is to have camera and accessories there but with duffel not sure between one side case or maybe tank bag. Thanks.
    Davidprej and rtwpaul like this.
  18. vtmactech

vtmactech Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Budget summary was very well thought out and written. Fits with my plan and expectations. Thank you for taking the time to do that.
    Davidprej and rtwpaul like this.
  19. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes I want to read your RR but right now it's Dakar season!:D
    rtwpaul likes this.
  20. Jimmy the Heater

Jimmy the Heater Dirt Farmer

Oddometer:
    Thank you very much for posting up the costs. Not many travelers wish to go into that aspect of it.

I was very surprised at the cost of motorcycle travel as well on my own trip. It was not RTW, simply in the US but I was gone for 60 days and my costs averaged out to $36 a day. I camped frequently but not exclusively and obviously there was no shipping involved. It was MUCH more affordable than I was planning on.