Riding RTW and back - on as much dirt as possible!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rtwpaul, Dec 12, 2015.

1. gperkins

gperkins graeme

Oddometer:
    We are about 5 months into our own RTW journey, 4 months of that in Asia. Our costs so far run to about $55 Aus ( $38 USA ) aprox per day. So pretty much on par with Pauls. Oh we hotel or hostel every night in Asia. Camping here is a non starter pretty much. Thanks for the great RR Paul.
    rtwpaul likes this.
  2. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding... Supporter

Oddometer:
    That was a little bit of a loaded statement on my part and it's kind of deceived you.

When I said I switched cameras, I had an LX7 and a G16, both point and shoot cameras, they both failed so I had a back camera at a families house, a Canon G1X...every single one of the photos in this thread has been taken with a point and shoot.

I have DSLR's back at home in the US but need to get back to put my hands on them...soon.

But, to answer your question, to carry a DSLR and Lenses I would do this, but what I also do is put a pair of flip flops on the bottom of the tank bag to add extra padding

***taken from the interwebs

tank-bag-stuffed.jpg

For the laptop, right now it's in one of the side cases as I know that offroad riding is at an absolute minimum so if I do come off it will be at a slow speed because of being two up. I use this, which is the best waterproof soft laptop holder I could find has an inner padded sleeve but is still slim LINK. As additional padding, clothes bags are next to the laptop.

For locations to put your computer it all depends on where you want to ride and if you are solo or two up?

Solo riding I would NEVER use a top box, there is too much vibration resonated to the back of the sub-frame plus the top box position is unnecessarily too far back for a solo rider. There is a really good chance it could break itself off the bike! Solo I use a soft bag, if at all. The short time I was riding solo, this is my bike fully loaded for RTW below, two side boxes had everytIing i needed, but if i did need to add space then a soft bag across the back seat is the way to go.

[​IMG]

Now if you are planning off-road travel then I set up differently, I use all soft luggage and have the laptop in the soft bag on the back seat and use a different case (actually a different smaller laptop), but I use this case for more structure and again waterproofness LINK

My setup would be more like this when I rode the TAT

[​IMG]

Hopefully that gives you the answer you were looking for?
    Mediterraneo, scudo, ohjimmy and 4 others like this.
  3. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    I get you on that but I'm trying to follow online but struggling to find a site that shows more than just a select few riders...this RR has a ways to go so plenty of time to catch up
  4. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    Agreed, your US (only) costs are right in line with mine (for various trips), I was averaging at $37 a day and not slumming it at all
    Davidprej and Jimmy the Heater like this.
  5. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    You are in a great position geographically like Americans are, the first foreign countries you hit day to day costs run way lower than first world countries. At $38 a day in my mind and using my numbers, theoretically you would be saving $37 a day, I would be spending as much time in each of those countries as possible to make the most of my bankroll. If you have a residual income these are the types of locations that are perfect to build your bankroll to a stronger position to lengthen your travel.
  6. gperkins

gperkins graeme

Oddometer:
    All true Paul, but after years as wage slaves, we have worked our way into a position where we can pretty much travel indefinitely. Our main determining factor, is the seasons. We want to cross both the KKH and the Pamir's this coming northern summer.

Point being I guess, as you have clearly demonstrated and also from our extensive travels ( 8 years outside of Australia ). RTW travel dosn't have to be anywhere near as expensive as some people would think. Although if you choose, it can be very expensive. So those wandering, fit out the bike and hit the road. :p3rry
    911timo, MaNDan and rtwpaul like this.
  7. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    One of the the reasons I wrote this besides helping the inmates out on here, to show them it is achievable, is also to contradict a rider, (this article will be translated word for word) who will remain nameless for his own safety and sanity (not an inmate on here) who has been making a point of telling loads of riders in certain countries that a realistic cost nowadays of RTW for two years on the road is 80,000 euros!!! The problem is, he is a sponsored BMW rider and also sponsored by lots of other big companies so people are tending to believe him and staying at home, when in reality they already have enough money and should be out riding.

The irony of HIS statement is very strange because he has never ridden RTW or anything close to it and is currently working and staying at home saving money so he can afford to go himself!!!

He portrayed himself to BMW and other companies so well they gave him product and in some cases cash without him even having any background of long distance travel. The mind boggles...
    JagLite, Davidprej, 911timo and 6 others like this.
  8. dano619

dano619 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sounds like the guy could sell a concrete anchor to a drowning person....
    scudo and adventurebound9517 like this.
  9. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    sounds like you know him!
    SavannahCapt and dano619 like this.
  10. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Sloppy 300 rider Supporter

Oddometer:

Many years ago, I read a book about RTW travel and it said several things that pretty much ended my dreams of RTW travel. The first was the budget, the author said it takes 100,000+ USD a year. Over the last few years I have been reading a lot of reports, trying to get more a feel for where all that cost came from. Your write up has motivated me to make this happen. I might not go RTW but I'd like to at least explore the Americas.
    Davidprej, 911timo, RoninXTZ and 3 others like this.
  11. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    RTW and Adventure are both subjective terms and mostly get misused by the masses, if you head out for a significant amount of time, 3 months + then you are living on the road for real, not just on a long vacation and this is when you will get a feel for real costs, real adventure and somewhat RTW traveling. If you don't have a reason to come back other than what you are telling yourself, then who's to say after you ride the Americas, look at your bank balance and see you can afford to continue to the next continent.

I'm guessing the book you read was by a guy who wanted to make himself out to be something extra special and he wanted to show he was on a higher pedestal than the masses not only in travel but also in wealth - that would be taken away if anyone could jump on a bike and do the same.

I think what I wrote disproves that book don't you think...and it only took ten minutes to write!!!
    Tinnman, JagLite, astroman1 and 8 others like this.
  12. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Sloppy 300 rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I agree completely and I can't thank you enough for sharing.
    911timo and rtwpaul like this.
  13. dean10

dean10 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Paul,
    Great to see that you are still going strong and I am still following this with great interest and I love your pictures :-) A Very interesting piece on the costs and as I am a number cruncher freak I did some similar calculations on my 285 day trip Phillys Big Trip Alaska to Argentina or is that Chille I do not wish to hijack your thread but I am sure other folks like me are interested in how much does a big trip actually cost and you are right about slow traveling being cheaper my trip was a non stop go go go mad rush I should have slowed down more to smell the roses :-) For me the number per day was $110 in 2012-12 highlight numbers Accommodation $20 pd, Fuel, $12.55 pd, Shipping $16.50 pd, Flights $11.23 pd, Insurance $6.40 pd Motorcycle Cost $16.40 pd and Other $28.13 pd
    For those who are interested in a detailed breakdown of the above number here are the links:
    https://phillysbigtrip.wordpress.com/stats-and-maps/
    http://advrider.com/index.php?threa...s-that-argentina.837163/page-14#post-28390466
    rtwpaul likes this.
  14. Cro59

Cro59 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll add my thanks for the info on cost breakdown. It was very helpful. One thing that hasn't been mentioned are the residual costs people may have back home, that is cars, insurance, mortgage, storage unit, etc. This is an example of how longer is likely cheaper because the traveler can divest of all of that (except maybe the storage unit). If the traveler has the added cost of maintaining a household, of sorts, back home and then the true cost of travel can skyrocket. In my case, with my military retirement pay, my wife and I could travel indefinitely and, based on your figures, still save money. Unfortunately, my wife isn't interested in long term, motorcycle travel, and the pension can't support a stay-at-home and a traveler. Maybe I can convince her a Ural is the way to go. :super

Most riders don't talk about their back home costs, and certainly for long term riders like Paul those are minimal, but for guys looking to do a shorter trip, say under than six months, then these costs are very real and could potentially double or triple the cost of the trip. All of which just reinforces the point of slow travel being more cost effective. Get rid of the cost of housing, vehicles, cable, and all that crap, and then RTW travel becomes very affordable. Per Google, the average cost of living for a single person in the USA is about $2400 per month or $80 per day, which is well more than what Paul is spending a day.
    scudo, Yannick, Davidprej and 3 others like this.
  15. Idahohigh

Idahohigh Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks Paul , always appreciate insider information. Never would of thought this "can" be done so cheaply yet see and do so much !!
    rtwpaul likes this.
  16. rtwpaul

Oddometer:

Very good point, home expenditures are a real thing, but again costs can be reduced with a little research. Property expenses you could hopefully rent your place out and it be self-sufficient so not a concern. I renegotiated my property management fees and saved a little money there too.

On my last RTW I decided to put all my stuff in storage as initially, I was planning to go away for an indefinite period (until the KTM blew up:kboom), it's the obvious answer at a cost of $150 per month it was a little spendy, but with a little research and taking a drive 70 miles down the road I found the same size storage for $49. What did I care, I didn't need daily access to my crap anyhow!

What I am saying here is get involved with your finances maybe more than you usually do, doing a RTW requires some money management before you go and when on the road, research a little and benefits are potentially huge. In my case a $101 savings a month in @gperkins case that would be slightly more than a month of freedom for the sake of a phone call...kinda like the one beer at the end of the day.

Now the wife not wanting to travel, that I have no advice for you, sorry - but what I can tell you to tell her is every couple I have ever met on the road that the wife said she originally hated the idea, now admitted how wrong she was once the travel commenced.

...and to quote one of the most amazing RTW riders and storytellers I have ever met, David Woodburn, he had a saying that a lot of people need to say to themselves when thinking about leaving for the long term - "don't carry your inhibitions on the road with you". He went on to explain that it reduced concern over the bike maintenance, spares to bring and volume of luggage.

He was on the road for 12 years, now he is settled and has a new saying..."if you can't do it in flip flops, you can fu¬Ęk off!"
    BillUA, ohjimmy, 911timo and 4 others like this.
  17. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    Thanks, and yes it can, even had steak for dinner tonight and didn't come close to breaking the budget :lol3
  18. Cro59

Cro59 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fortunately, my wife is not opposed to long term travel, she's just not sold on the idea of doing it on motorcycles. Two up or a side car might be a possibility. I've considered overlanding with the truck, but that's not the same. I also think some fly and ride trips, like Shreddie is doing in Vietnam on scooters, might warm her up to the idea.

Anyway, don't want to hijack the thread. Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences with us!
    rtwpaul likes this.
  19. prooney377

prooney377 Pete Rooney

Oddometer:
    Not much i can add to what everyone else has stated. Just re-enforcing. Fantastic photos, story, trip and great information in the form of your cost breakdown. Many thanks
  20. Neil_The_Wheel

Neil_The_Wheel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Paul, for sharing your financial philosophy for RTW travel. The slow travel concept is key.