Riding suit for AZ UT CO bdr

Discussion in 'Americas' started by tk1250gsa, May 22, 2020.

1. tk1250gsa

tk1250gsa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi so I’m planning AZ UT(or CO) BDR on June and I’m bit not sure about my riding gear.
    What I have now is
    Revit Dominator gtx jacket and pants
    Klim Dakar Jacket and pants.
    Olympus Rain jacket and pants.(it works ok not perfect but can’t complain for price)
    Sidi Cross fire 3
    Sidi Adventure 2

I usually wear Klim Dakar with sidi CF3 boots and separate body armor on day trail riding. And I haven’t done multi day trail riding under various weather.

I’ve done cross country with revit suit and it was good. Rain snow, and kept me warm on 15 degree at CO. But on off road , I don’t want to wear it. It’s too heavy, stiff (yes it’s not really braking in. Still very stiff) and HOT! especially riding low speed most of time and sometimes physically struggling situation on offroad.. I don’t want to wear it.

Is bit too annoying that wearing Klim Dakar with body armor and wearing Raingear if it’s rain? Or it’s better to just get goretax jaclet with armor attached and good ventilation?
    Have waterproot socks so prob just wear CF3boots instead of sidi adventure 2
    Thanks!
  2. Bullseye

Bullseye Mr. Bad Example Supporter

Oddometer:
    You're going to need maximum ventilation and temperature flexibility. I do not know a lot about the clothing you list except for the Dakar line. Dakar is the type of stuff you need to run, large vents for the heat in the lower elevations and the ability to close-up those vents (and layer up) for the cold in higher elevations. The temperature swings you are going to experience will be pretty extreme across Utah.
    For UT...I would not give-up ventilation for water-proofness, you're likely to spend much more of your riding time in heat rather than rain... a cheap rain suit will get you though any showers. If there is any significant rain in UT, you are going to want to get off the bike... nothing good will come from riding UTBDR in mud.

I haven't ridden COBDR, the COBDR is more consistently at higher elevations where cool temps will probably be more of an issue.
    tk1250gsa likes this.
  3. tk1250gsa

Oddometer:
    Thansk!! yes I just recall my memory last year in UT on May and it was hot. on day.
    what about armor? do you think I need to wear body armor? have troy lee armor and elbow... worry that it'll make me too hot and I don't think I'm gonna ride fast on BDR with luggage even be protected is always better.
    but yes I won't bring my Leatt neck protector.
  4. Bullseye

Bullseye Mr. Bad Example Supporter

Oddometer:
    Armor is very personal. Skill sets and riding styles and risk tolerance are different for all of us.
    I ride fairly conservatively when loaded. I rely on built-in armor rather than running additional layers of dedicated armor primarily for comfort, flexibility and heat management.
    Most of the UTBDR is easy riding... but there are moments where you'll need to tackle some rocky challenges (especially around Moab), so take that into consideration.
  5. tk1250gsa

Oddometer:
    thanks for opinion. it's good to have built in d3o armor but under heat I prob take off my dakar jacket then I won't have protection.
    but should be fine I guess.
  6. Blaise W

Blaise W Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It is a quandary! For multi-state rides, low and high elevations, I've settled on Klim Traverse worn as a shell, with body armor under. Pants always have armor in. When really hot, roll up the jacket and just wear the armor over a light tee, or jersey. Cold, add layers over the armor, but an extra large jacket may be needed. If doing shorter sections you can dress down or up as needed, change gear, etc. Some time I just put the armor into the jacket, but for really hot weather that's too much, even with all the vents open.
  7. tk1250gsa

Oddometer:
    yea Traverse was main competitor when I purchase Dakar. and since my dakar pants is intheboots style and it doesn't have armor pocket so have to wear knee armor which is hot but could be good on high altitude for warmth.
  8. ibgary

ibgary Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wear the Adventure Rally Air pants and Apex Air jacket. Both allow a lot of air flow while offering great protection. If it gets to cold I put a base layer under it and rain gear over it.
    The pants are heavy and stiff, if I were buying again I'd step down to the next level. There're fine when riding, but heavy for anything off the bike. The stiffness makes them hard to get on and off. I do like the pockets.
    1114003928.jpg
    tk1250gsa likes this.
  9. ibgary

ibgary Long timer

Oddometer:
    Last summer I wore that on the CDT in both Montana and N.M.
  10. Blaise W

Blaise W Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I pulled the trigger on a big change and ordered the new Klim Baja and Enduro sets. NOT cheap, but I would like something for summer riding that does not require me to remove armor when stopping, for what ever reason. I'm betting that the overshells will take care of both rain and cold, with layers under, and they are quick on and quick off. On the long rides it can get pretty cold up high, but then you come down and swelter. No perfect answer, and there never is.
  11. tk1250gsa

Oddometer:
    Yea saw that combo seems best option on market so far. Except bit pricey. But comfortable and practical suit is one of the most needed gear for adventure trip.
    Give us some updates how it performed!
    Blaise W likes this.