riding/surfing my way south from san diego

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Perdido_, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Perdido_

Perdido_ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi everyone, it's been a dream of mine for a long time to ride a motorcycle from california through south america and surf along the way. I am two years out of college now and have finally saved up enough to make it happen. I would like to make it down to Patagonia by march but honestly I have no set plans and am just going with whatever feels right.

I bought a 2001 dr650 in april and my dad has given me a crash course in motorcycle repairs/maintenance over the past few months. We have gone through the entire bike, replaced pretty much everything and it's ready to go. I'm definitely a beginner in motorcycle mechanics but hopefully I'm not complete dead-weight when something goes wrong (to be determined).. The trip is very open ended, my initial plan is to ride through baja and take the ferry to mazatlan. From there I want to hug the coast and surf my way down until I hit panama. If I keep going after panama I imagine I will sell off the surfboard so I can focus on the riding, culture, and my lack of spanish skills.

Here's the bike, almost complete just missing a few minor details. still looking for a board bag and better way to strap it to the bike. Wish me luck!

image_from_ios.jpg
  2. Sukke

Sukke n00b

Oddometer:
    Good luck for your trip, it will be amazing:)
  3. KGBz

KGBz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m not a surfer, but I have family in SD that does. Is it possible to rent a surf board along the way? You’re sacrificing the ability to finesse trails.
  4. Perdido_

Perdido_ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yea there are certain places you can rent a board, but I enjoy surfing as much as I enjoy riding. So I figured I would bring it down until I hit south america and then drop the weight
  5. Dirtnadvil

Dirtnadvil Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm in.........
  6. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way...

Oddometer:
    I'm with you. Take your board. Just know you are going to break it early in the trip. The first you tip over on the right side on one of those 50 mile long sandy roads to a "must be surfed" beach break. Don't cry. Just give it to a local and buy another used one and carry on.

You WILL take pics and take notes now won't you? There's more than a few of us San Diegans who would love to do exactly what you have planned.

Good luck - We'll be watching.
    ........ and no. There is no better way to strap a board to your bike. Thank goodness your not packing a 9'7" Skip Fry egg.
    Perdido_ likes this.
  7. Apxgrndr

Apxgrndr In the snow

Oddometer:
    Sounds like an awesome trip! What length is your board?
  8. ismatts

ismatts Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’m in!
  9. Scribe

Scribe £Bob£

Oddometer:
    Ginger Beard and Perdido_ like this.
  10. dano619

dano619 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All in......San Diego local wishing you well in your travels and adventure!!
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  11. WileyRTW

WileyRTW Wiley

Oddometer:
    Yo, if that board makes it to Panama you would be a fool not to take it t S. America.
  12. Dirtnadvil

Dirtnadvil Long timer

Oddometer:
    IMG_5849.JPG IMG_5835.JPG
    Here is Perdido getting ready this last week. He's putting a fresh hamster in the DR.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  13. Perdido_

Perdido_ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The board is a 6’0 Channel Islands twin fin, thought this would be the best board for the Mexican point breaks
  14. Perdido_

Perdido_ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Had a late start and was stuck in busy border traffic, but finally left San Diego and got moving. I ended up in San Miguel about an hour and a half across the border. Got some really fun surf with only a couple people out and $1 burritos. Trip is off to a good start

Attached Files:

15. philipbarrett

philipbarrett Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Krypt Surf Mat, rolli t up in your luggage.

https://www.kryptsurf.com/SURFMAT.htm

I laughed when my baja riding, surfing buddy recommended it. Then I tried one and the laugh became a manic giggle as I realized just how much control you have with these things!

*Edit; fully legal on Cali beaches, I just showed the lifeguard what I was using & they were cool (and interested).
    Dessert Storm and mb300 like this.
  16. Sandspit

Sandspit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, my kind of report, I have only been to La Fonda but I wonder how safe your belongings will be while you are out surfing if you are camping? We did not have any issues at La Fonda but it was crowded and we locked items ($, IDs, Passports etc.) hidden in the trucks. Post up pics of WAVES and surfing please! Living the dream of many Moto-x's/surfers.....Safe Travels and glassy South hemi's!
    Ginger Beard and Perdido_ like this.
  17. philipbarrett

philipbarrett Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I hide my valuables in a baggy tucked up in the air filter compartment, easy to get into & out of.

Shit...now you guys know where to look.
    roadcapDen, Amphib and mb300 like this.
  18. WileyRTW

WileyRTW Wiley

Oddometer:
    You keep naming surf spots and I just might have to go grab those keys:dirtdog. Looking forward to the report.
  19. Perdido_

Perdido_ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Made it to Bahia de Los Angeles day 3 and took a dirt road for about 60 miles to San Rafael fish camp. The road coming in was pretty rough and I crashed in a sandy spot, my handlebars are a little crooked now but nothing too bad (board is fine). I set up a hammock on the beach and hung out with poncho and cilia for the rest of the day. They were super nice and offered food/water/bed

Attached Files:

Ginger Beard, drein and Sandspit like this.
  20. Sandspit

Sandspit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ^^^ Living the dream of many of us.....Air Filter? that is a well known hiding spot due to lack of tools to get to it and the fact most people know there is some extra room in there...would not advise storing anything of value there.

When leaving land & bike behind, I have a pair of board shorts with an oversized side pocket and heavy duty key rope inside it. I package keys, slim wallet w/ cash/cards/paper copy of Passport in a waterproof cell phone flexi-case that is attached to the key loop holder...not bulkly , similar to have a bar of wax.

No idea what to do if you are in a Fullsuit???? I've had to bury rental car key fobs but had to make sure 100% no one saw me (even the spotters in the bush)...looking forward to pics of the surf!