Riding the F800gs off pavement

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by itsatdm, Oct 3, 2008.

1. mac444

mac444 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Did you see the post one here where a guys front caliper fell off while he was riding ? Sure, the dealer could have been at fault when they mounted the front wheel. It makes you think though.
  2. tmex

tmex Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have the same issues on my HP2 Enduro - that is clacking sound and poor response over sharp edged hits. The HP2 forks do have adjustment, and while I am no suspension guru either, I have not found a happy spot. The Zokes on my Husky TE510 are not a lot better, and it is a much lighter bike. At least the Husky forks do not make a clacking sound. Frankly, I have gotten to the point where I just ride through it. I did hit a square edge about 6 months ago with the HP2 that made my wrists ache for a couple of days.

I am picking my F800GS up on Saturday (25 October) and I am quite sure it will clack and not be great on the off road areas I intend to use it - Mendocino National Forest very similar to Western Sierra roads. I may take the Zokes off my HP2 and see what Javier (Trailtrick on KTMTalk) can do with them. He has the reputation of working magic on the WP and Zoke stuff.
  3. sgopher185

sgopher185 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was thinking of going this route as well. I don't have any major complaints about the front end yet, but I haven't ridden off road yet.

You can find the internals for the forks if you look up parts for an 06 or 07 TE610. These used the 45 mm marzocchi forks as well. I assume these should basically be the same as what we have. Maybe just purchasing the internals(valves and springs), external adjusters, and having the forks re-built would be the answer.

Just some thoughts as I was planning on looking into this later this winter. A.C.E was the shop I was going to check with on doing the rebuild. They seem to have a good reputation from reading different message boards (Thumpertalk, Advrider, and HuskyCafe).
  4. Singletrack_mind

Singletrack_mind Cave Man

Oddometer:
    Those of you who are thinking the noise comes from the front disks, try this:

Trail your bakes lightly over a set of bumps that causes the noise. If it goes away, you've found it. If it doesn't, it's not the brakes. I'm betting it's not.
  5. The Griz

The Griz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's definitely not the brake rotors. I tested it by binding the rotor's floating motion by cramming zip ties in between the floating and fixed portions of the rotor (and clipped the zip ties as to not interfere with calipers). Went for a ride. Still made the clunk/clack. I'm positive it's either inside the forks themselves, or under all the plastic covers above the engine (battery/air box area).

More and more I'm leaning to inside the forks....
  6. The Griz

The Griz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Also, I'm taking the bike into the dealer for a second time to have them look at it. Last time I was in, they re-torqued the steering head, triple tree clamps, rotor bolts, caliper bolts, etc. Basically the entire front end. Still clunked/clacked.....