Riding the Galloway Forest - S.W. Scotland

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by JimRidesThis, Aug 5, 2013.

1. JimRidesThis

JimRidesThis Local celebrity

Oddometer:
    The Galloway Forest ride, organised over on xrv.org.uk seemed like a good opportunity to ease the XL into a life off-road and to see what would fall off.
    For the past few years one of the xrv regulars (Austin) has negotiated access for 25 bikes in the Galloway Forest, SW Scotland. No other motorcycles or cars are officially allowed access at any time, so this is a rare opportunity (in the UK) to string together a longer off-tarmac route for bigger dual sport bikes. Everything from a 1200GS Adventure to a DR250 took part in this ride covering about 80 miles of linked access trails in the forest.

[​IMG]
    Here’s the XL all packed up and ready to roll.

[​IMG]
    It’s only about 60 miles from my home to the camp site; but I took a longer route, the roads are just so entertaining up here :D

Despite a 'changable' forecast the weather gods smiled on us all day in the forest. Here are a few shots taken during rest stops...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This is the 'Big Water of Fleet Viaduct' built in 1861, over 300 yds long and 100 feet high. The rail line closed in the late 1950's but not before performing a key role in Hitchcock's film of John Buchan's book 'The 39 Steps'.

Inevitably someone decided to 'merge with the scenery'. Africa Twin requiring a few helping hands :evil

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thankfully only a few panels got scratched in the incident.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stunning countryside, good weather and great company made for a really enjoyable weekend!
    DADODIRT likes this.
  2. ckjj888

ckjj888 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Help each other. Praising!
  3. Ayrshire Bull

Ayrshire Bull why the hell not?

Oddometer:
    my old stomping grounds ....... brings back memories :1drink

thanks for posting!
  4. givit

givit Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
  5. givit

givit Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Some lovely forest trails to ride in Galloway Jim. Can't imagine doing it with a big bunch tho'. Used to slip around there quietly on my Tenere 660Z. No trouble at all. Cheers .. givit
    JimRidesThis likes this.
  6. DADODIRT

DADODIRT Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like your emoji's for your bikes. I get the same feeling on my XB12X.
    JimRidesThis likes this.
  7. Hijack

Hijack n00b

Oddometer:
    Looks like a great ride. I have car traveled through a good part of Scotland and want to Moto-tour some day. Thanks for letting me see the possibilities.
    JimRidesThis likes this.
  8. JimRidesThis

JimRidesThis Local celebrity

Oddometer:
    Yeah, you have to engage your sense of humour before riding the Buell :D Always makes me laugh. I had a brief spin out on it today and tomorrow it’s going to take me and Mrs JRT to meet up with some mates.
    DADODIRT likes this.