Riding the Pegaso to Death

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by pegbeater, Feb 22, 2019.

1. pegbeater

pegbeater Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  2. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    Got to Trona Pinnacle last night after several missed turnoffs!! Man, it was coooooold. Will be warming though my stay.

Snow over the Tehachapee pass.

3BDCFBFC-6CA5-4CEB-8899-C97221528F55.jpeg
    49997F0B-FED3-42B7-AAA3-33D47EA41379.jpeg

I got some vid of the pass that I will post after.

Woke up to this......

750E53A3-8CD2-4F50-BE61-48CDEBFD4E2F.jpeg
    6F451C7F-3803-483D-B64D-76E246DC76D3.jpeg

Beatiful day. Not a lot of wind so far. Will be in the 50,s today.

Gonna hike around here for a few hours and explore. Lots to see!!! Then I will start towards Panamint Valley.
    thirsty 1, jimroid, black 8 and 3 others like this.
  3. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    Nope, I’m not dead. Just no service in Saline Valley. :-)

Was really cold in the morning. Some of my water turned to ice.

Hiked around a good deal of the Pinnacles. Drove to the other side of the bike and hiked some more!! Climbed a spire and finished my coffee on top.

39ABF8C5-4548-433B-9F01-D3DD95127E7E.jpeg

Headed off to Panamint Valley. Stopped in Trona for gas. Saw a few mine sites and took a couple of short hikes. Perfect weather.

Pulled into Ballerat. Met few guys on bikes hanging out on the porch of one of the buildings. All from SoCal.

Spoke with the caretaker, got a cold Coke and he said that I could stay in an old cabin.

2F0B3D00-65A8-4559-A7EB-906736C929F0.jpeg

Unpacked the bike and took a ride down the east side of the valley. A little mud, a little sand. Fun ride. Started getting dark so I headed back. New running lights work great!!!:clap

Another cold night. No wind inside but lots of vocal donkeys!! Off to the western side of the valley 46007AAB-9005-4E78-A278-5D7E5D8EAECF.jpeg 97B25C5D-90FF-49C8-BFC6-9ADA16762290.jpeg

Lots of really rough road there. Probably no big deal for some, but honing my novice skills for sure!!
  4. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    Third day.
    Harded towards Dads house up surprise Canyon. A few washouts. Not to bad. Hiked up towards Panamint City. Beautiful hike. Some areas were more like swamp than desert. Turned back about 3.

9865407C-145A-40B2-8F6F-422964331063.jpeg

Crossed to the other side of the valley and headed north on Nadeau Rd. Had a few near wipeouts in the deep sand. Otherwise doing well. Seems like there is a washout every couple hundred feet here. Road keeps getting worse. Did a couple smalle hikes and decided to camp.

Fourth day.

Started off with coffee and a hike up the road. Big washouts!! Road does not seem to get better beyond.

4A75B57A-C588-43B3-BE4A-1FD3A5373CBD.jpeg

Packed up and headed out. Wash after wash. Had to rest after a few of them because they really tested my abilities!!!! Still haven’t laid the bike down.:muutt

Headed up a canyon to a mine. Road gets even worse. There was a small rock ledge as well.

84E6C5B8-EFF8-4333-BE29-0830BA1B3E31.jpeg
    6349AFEB-D762-4414-921D-A3BA8F5EBE1A.jpeg

Got to the mine. Did quite a bit of hiking. Had lunch and sat in amazement at how they got this stuff to to tops of these mountains!! Yay donkeys!!

Took a deep breathe and headed back down the canyon. Continues north towards Panamint Springs. The trail (I won’t even call it a road any more) got much worse. It turned into a riverbed. It was hard to tell where I was going at times. After some REALLY rough riding I was spat out in Panamint springs. Got gas and decided to stay here. Burger, yet another pic of Seldom Seen Slim, hot shower and camp.

:dukegirl

BTW. When I asked the waitress about Slim, her response was ‘seldom seen, often photographed!’
    yokesman, motocopter, black 8 and 2 others like this.
  5. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    Had another great day. Got buzzed a few times this morning by fighters. One was really close.

Got coffee at the store, sat on the porch while making my previous post. Was planning on going to Darwin Falls, but in my excitement to get back on the road I passed the turn. Strike one! Didn’t want to turn back so I headed to the famed Star Wars canyon. Pulled over where I recognized the bends in the road from my map and hiked up the hill. One guy perched in a chair right at the top of the hill. I asked if there had been much action. ‘Only two this whole morning’ he grumbled. Four more were perched further up the hill, so I headed up. Huddled down against a rock and waited. It wasn’t long before jets and planes started coming through. What a site!!

92FC9DBD-D243-4372-9ED7-EDCEB7B9D052.png
    5A0E6EFD-C5B9-413C-BBA2-2B893B17F8DB.png BCD40BAC-CC69-4083-97A4-9556C3914F83.png

Sorry for the low res shots. They are screen captures from video on my phone. I am told that this is one of only two places where you can look down on practicing fighter jets. I didn’t even know this existed before last week!!

Met a really nice photographer. His name was Yas. We talked quite a bit about the planes. He has been doing this a while. It started to get windy and we both decided to leave. Me back on the road and him to another location. He very generously gave me two packets of organic miso soup. Thanks Yas!!

79A6C380-DACB-47B5-B72C-9A8C18EDC483.jpeg

Just as we were leaving, the sound of more jets in the distance started to rumble. Has said goodbye and ran back up the hill just as I was buzzed by an inverted fighter directly over me. Wow!! Simply amazing.

Looked town into the Panamint Valley and could see the sand storm. It is really windy now. Headed toward lone pine and was buzzed by several more jets. Getting blown all over. I could see the sand whipping up in the valley below the snow covered Whitney. When I came into the valley it was a nonstop blast of wind and sand coming from the south. Classic desert!!!

Pulled into Lone Pine and started to look for lithium batteries for my Spot (per my wife’s request the night before leaving, I paid the $175 to get it set up). I have enjoyed the security of knowing that I did have a lifeline in case of disaster. The gentleman at the counter asked where I was headed. When he found that I was going to the Ancient Bristlecone Forest, he informed that the road there is still closed from snow and there will likely be more tonight and into the morning. Hmmmmmm.

Now I’m m question the circumstances for my evening. 168 is not as high as the Bristlecone Forest, but high enough for, maybe, snow????

Got a grilled ham and cheese at the Totem Cafe and pondered the situation as I returned calls for work. Hmmmmmmm.

Ok, so you probably figured that because I am making this post now, that I am sitting in the Comfort Inn in Lone Pine. I feel like I failed a little. Like I should be suffering the elements like a real moto enthusiast!! Alas, I am still a noooooob and the thought of being wet and cold, possibly in the snow just did not seem like a good idea.

More to come.
  6. Unkgd

Unkgd Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good to see that you doing well and having fun. You may be a Noob, but a smart Noob!
    Freezing is greatly over rated and there is always the next trip to go see the places you miss on this trip.
    Black Cat CO and pegbeater like this.
  7. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    It has not all been fun and games. My second day suffered loss as I left my old and faithful lime green water bottle sitting on the ground when I left camp at the Pinnacles. It was promptly replaced by this.

2ED168FB-0359-48D6-9ECA-A1A6A4F398D3.jpeg

A nice duct tape handle that has held up well!!

At the end of the next day while doing bike inspections, I found that the mounting bracket for my preload adjuster had broken. I asked the caretaker Rocky at Ballerat if he had a drill. He said yes and we went around to the back of his place to see this.....

C8153286-C4DA-4A99-BCC5-915BEA8F1FF8.jpeg

Ok. I’m up for whatever works!! And it not only worked, it worked well.

9AF10075-23FB-4A14-B5B6-B67C242B0E9E.jpeg

The new holes are over my thumb and the broken piece is under my thumb. Bolted back up and loctite ‘d. Holding strong.

Next day, tent pole broke. More duct tape and also continuing to perform.

CCA8A8F7-D8E4-41E4-874F-B00A4D450E2A.jpeg

This morning, repaired the mount for my helmet cam with a little plastic whittling and a spare washer. Still on even through the sand storm!!

Let’s see what tomorrow will hold!

Minor.....great:D
    Catastrophic......bad!!!:(

So far, all minor!!! Love that drill press!!
  8. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    Rocky is the best.
  9. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    Morning was cold. Fresh snow on Whitney. Not a drop on my bike. Rain was a little north.

Headed up toward Big Pine. The views of the snow on both sides of the valley are great.

Started out 168 towards the Bristlecone Forest. Got cold quickly as the road climbed. Water, gravel and ice on the road. On the summit, at the turnoff for the forest (closed by the way), the snow looked to be about a foot deep.

46241736-0511-40A7-8E87-BE02B0EBA6D7.jpeg

Summit was about 8000’ and then headed down into a little valley. I could see Deep Springs Lake in the distance, a little frozen still. Found a dirt track and headed towards it. Soft sand, some mud. The closer I got to the lake, the deeper the mud holes got.......until.........yup. Layed it down:muutt!!! There was a deep spot and then about 30 feet of soft sand and mud. Bike started to slide and that was it.

AC242A20-22EA-4A81-9649-D48E39073EE2.jpeg

Nothing broken. Whew. Me either. Picked up the bike and re arranged my jostled gear. Everyone said that it was not if, but when. I feel like I graduated!!:doh

Headed up to the next pass. Also around 8000’. More snow and then down into a valley towards Dyer.

EA206C1F-0822-4219-B016-B360700AE46A.jpeg

Stopped here in Beaty for gas and......DANG!!! Bike fell over when getting off the center stand at the gas station. UGHH!!! Another rider helped me pick it up. How embarrassing!!!

Titus Canyon is still closed. Going to head down Greenwater Canyon to see what I see.

Hopefully I’m done falling over for the day!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOB!
  10. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did you see the white KTM 990 XLADV belonging to Eric Hall while you were in the pinnacles? Seems he was there about the same time.
  11. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    Saw quite a few KTM'S in the Pinnacles. There was some sort of event in California city and the Pinnacles was the one place where I did see a lot of bikes.
  12. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    Down towards the valley on Wednesday afternoon. Started down the turnoff to Titus Canyon. About 200 feet in there was a small sign saying that it was closed. Bummer.

Headed down into the valley and took the Beatty cutoff headed to Furnace Creek. Weather is way warmer and had to take off my insulated pants when I gassed up.

No flowers yet. Some yellow buds starting on the bushes in the valley but none as I headed to Greenwater Valley. Dirt road there is a lot of washboard and some sand. Seems to be a given on all dirt here. You guys were right and the advice was heeded. Faster is definitely better on washboard. A little gas through the sand help too. I feel like Im getting better at this off road stuff. A little more confident. Getting the falling over out of the way helped a little. No big deal now.

Open valley, no cars, no bikes, no people. Not even a donkey here. Views are great. Wind is picking up and the sun is going down. Dont thin I will make to the B and W cabin tonight.

Found a place to camp in between two hills to help with the wind.

Tried not to bring all my mud in the tent with me.

IMG_5986.JPG
    IMG_5987.JPG
    larryboy likes this.
  13. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    Thursday morning.

Wind howled all night. Surprised to see my bike upright this morning!!

IMG_5992.JPG

Woke just in time to see clouds dumping in over the range to the west.

IMG_5990.JPG

Beautiful morning. Still breezy. Dew on everything. First time since Ive been here.

Made coffee and enjoyed the scene. Let the tent dry a bit.

So quiet. Sooooooo empty. This valley seems pretty barren.

Petcock on bike is leaking a bit. It has done this before and then quit. Rubber gasket may be done. I tightened the screw a bit. We will see.

Bike packed and back on the road south. Will head into Shoshone for fuel and then try to fine B and W's cabin.

IMG_5996.JPG
  14. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    Ahhhh. Good to find a marker that lets me know Im headed in the right direction!!

IMG_5999.JPG

All you B and W's cabin guys should recognize this.

Calculated my miles to where I think the turnoff is and Im off!:clap More sand. More gravel. More washboard. All in stride. Im able to maintain about 40 mph on these roads now. I heard guys saying 60 mph was no problem. Believe me when I say, this is no small feat for me. It was hard to feel confident doing 15 mph when I started this trip!!

Found a turnoff. Up the hill until the road splits. Left, right or strait. Strait looks iffy and less traveled. Left I went. Several washes. Soon the road disappears.

IMG_6002.JPG

Doing pretty well up a rock field, but this road has not been traveled since this washed out. Things got a little bounce and.............down again. Bike hopped to the left towards a big rock so I just stopped. No big deal. Its just that lifting that bike is a pretty big task!!

Ok. Gonna walk up the hill a ways and see if this is worth pursuing.

Trekked about a mile and a half up the hill and was able to find the road again. No signs of recent traffic (B and W's is a pretty popular place, right?) and the road just keeps going. Its hot, my water is back on the bike and Im in my MC boots. Should not have walked that far is those boots!!

Got back to the bike, took out the map and grabbed a snack. I could go the other direction at the split, but at this point I am pretty discouraged, tired and unwilling to continue looking.

IMG_6001.JPG

By the way, that scarf is great. Kept the sun off my neck and head when riding and when hiking.

Rallied the troops, loaded back up and turned the bike around. Slowly, ever so slowly, made my way back down the hill to an actual road. Before I realized what happened, I was going right. Up a hill, through a little narrow and .............

IMG_6004.JPG

Wow. So nice to actually have found it!! What a relief and reward. Im definitely staying the night.
    Black Cat CO and larryboy like this.
  15. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pahrump is some 27 miles east of Shosone, gas half the price as most things there very reasonable BUT this last Nov rooms were at peak prices.
    pegbeater likes this.
  16. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi,

I was one of the Husky riders you chatted with at the Trona Gas station.
    pegbeater likes this.
  17. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    Ha!! Nice. I figured someone would have to remember seeing a guy on a Pegaso.
    Yellow Pig likes this.
  18. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    Went for a couple of hikes around the cabin. Up a few washes to the top of the canyon. What a view.

IMG_6056.JPG

Back down to the cabin. Set my solar shower and rinsed off in some warm water.

IMG_6063.JPG

Clean clothes. Potato soup with a cam of chicken. LOTS of water and sit back for the reset of the evening.

IMG_6068.JPG

My last night here. I looked up the weather again in Beatty. The only day I might escape rain is tomorrow (Friday). Supposed to rain the valley and all weekend at home in Roseville.

This was the perfect way to spend the last night here in the desert. Feet up. Watching as the light fades.

Wind is starting to pick up after the light is gone so I retreat inside for the night.
  19. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    8th day. Friday. Long road home day.

Up early for the long ride ahead. Fresh coffee and soaked up the view from one of the rope seated rockers on the front porch.

IMG_6071.JPG
    IMG_6070.JPG

Back on the dirt trail by 7:15 am. Home by 6:15 pm.

IMG_6072.JPG

This was a trip that I will remember for the rest of my life. What a great adventure. What a great motorcycle. This old horse really stood up to the abuse that was dealt over the last 8 days and over 1400 miles. Just kept going. Up. Down. Even on its side!!! Im sure that this was more work than this bike has ever seen and it took it all much better than I did at times.

Other than a little sun burned and a bruised ego at times, I fared pretty well. Considering that this was the first time that I have ever been on a trip like this too.

Thanks to all the members for their encouragement, advice, tips and tricks, loaned and donated gear, and all of the knowledge both of the area and all the mechanical stuff prior to the trip.

I would count this trip as a total win. Over all, it would be hard to wish that it would have been any different.

Thanks again!!

:jkam:freaky:beer:happay:ricky:wings:nod:nod:nod:nod:nod:nod:nod:nod:nod:nod:nod:nod:nod:nod:nod:nod:nod:nod:nod:nod:nod:nod:nod:nod:nod:nod:nod:nod:nod:nod:nod:nod:nod:nod:nod:nod:nod:nod:nod:nod:nod:nod:nod:nod:nod:nod:nod
    Muscongus, eaglescan, Unkgd and 3 others like this.
  20. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking us along, glad you found the cabin!!
    pegbeater likes this.