Riding the Suches Ga Area

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by KYwoodsrider, May 11, 2014.

1. KYwoodsrider

KYwoodsrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I made a plan to spend a few days riding the Suches, Ga area using Two Wheels of Suches as my basecamp.
    I used tracks from the Smoky Mountain 500 Provided here:
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=926507 (awesome job andy29847)
    Tracks provided by Kentucky KLR, mr guns, and some that I made myself.
    Thanks to those guys for their work

This is my ride
    2007 DR650, Sea Horse luggage, Wolfman racks, 4.7 gas tank, Kenda 270's, suspension work, other miscellaneous farkles

[​IMG]

I rode down from central KY and arrived Wed afternoon and set up at Two Wheels of Suches. A really nice place. This was my 2nd trip here. Only a few people here mid week

[​IMG]

My camp

[​IMG]

A view of the back side of the lodge

[​IMG]

New cabins built by the bath house

[​IMG]

I didn't have a lot of time Wed afternoon but I did ride some of the Smoky Mt 500 tracks between Suches and Tellico Plains
    [​IMG]

I was surprised when I came by this.

[​IMG]

On Thursday I started out riding the Coopers Creek area. Turn by Coopers Creek Store. A good place to get gas, snacks, and hang out during the day. It was a central point for the area I was riding.

[​IMG]

It starts out like this

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I explored several side routes

[​IMG]

Then the pavement ends

[​IMG]

Nice forest roads

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The route follows this creek for much of the route

[​IMG]

A few of these

[​IMG]

Some private property mixed in

[​IMG]

The road turns from gravel to 2 track dirt, to just dirt. No major issues but very remote and when your riding solo mid week you can't afford to make a mistake.

[​IMG]

You come out here on Wolf Pin Branch Road

[​IMG]

I headed back to Suches and stopped here at Lake Winfield Scott

[​IMG]

After lunch I rode tracks on the west side of hwy 60 starting out heading towards the fish hatchery on the Toccoa river. I rode a mixture of gravel and two track of public and FS land.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There are also a couple of canoe launch areas on the river

[​IMG]

On Friday I planned to ride the Smoky Mt 500 tracks from Suches to Iron Horse Resort in Stecoha, NC

Since I had already ridden the Coopers Creek area I rode Wolf Pin Gap and pick up the tracks at the gap. The beginning was a mixture of FS roads with a few creek crossing and back roads

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At the 113 mile point on the tracks andy29847 offers an "easy route"
    I stayed with the main route which gets significantly tougher than anything I had ridden so far. It was not anything I could not handle but the combination of a fully loaded bike, the remoteness and riding solo did give me a few second thoughts

[​IMG]

It came out hear with a pretty serious river crossing. In my case the water was low and I was able to cross with no issue
    The exit point is by the truck in the distance.

[​IMG]

The route takes you over to Dillard Ga then into NC to Ball Creek Road in the Coweeta forest area.
    This was along climb over a mountain

[​IMG]

Up to 4600 feet in elevation

[​IMG]

Interesting trail heads

[​IMG]

The best part of the ride

[​IMG]

You continue on past Standing Indian Campground and over to the Nantahala National Forest and Rainbow Springs Road

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Coming out here

[​IMG]

It was raining and getting late so I headed over to Iron Horse Motorcycle Resort.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With the lodge and restaurant it's a great place to camp when the weather is bad. It rained most of the night

[​IMG]

Saturday morning I headed back to KY in the rain. I rode hwy 28 around Fontana Lake

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is my last pic

[​IMG]

After this I motored thru the Dragon in some heavy rain and then hammer down back to Central KY
    I am already planning the next one
  2. SirWinston119

SirWinston119 #rainbowdash119 #notgay #mylittlepony

Oddometer:
    Awesome trip so far. Those creek/water crossing would make my KLR brother shove that shit in my face! That becomes true adventure riding! Great pics! Keep them coming....
  3. Capri142

Capri142 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice pictures, It is a great riding area. I have been through there a few times. After looking at you pictures it is time to head back for a few days, a week or so.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Attached Files:

4. NGA

NGA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great trip and pics. I was just at TWO today and had lunch there.
  5. KYwoodsrider

Oddometer:
    I finished the ride report this evening. Thanks to everyone who gave me tracks.

If you get a chance to ride the Smoky Mountain 500 route do it. I'd like to go back in the fall and ride the other 2 sections
  6. BackRoadNomad

BackRoadNomad I'm retired...go around me! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well written Ride Report. Thanks for sharing with us. In years past, I too have camped at T.W.O.'s
    campground and ridden hundreds of miles in that same area.
    Your report brought back fond memories. Thanks.
  7. Jocassee

Jocassee Petrolhead

Oddometer:
    Excellent RR and lovely pics. I will be trying to track down some of these roads from my roost in upstate SC.
  8. Dieselboy

Dieselboy Journey not Destination

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the report. Loved the pics. Your bike is set up very well. I like the clean lines and utility of it. Looks to be a great tool for the job you have chosen.

Days alone in the back woods. Nice.

:beer
  9. andy29847

andy29847 Dirt Road Rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the report and the pictures from the tough sections.
  10. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awesome report and great pics! I've only ridden down around Suches once and was on an FZ1. Looks like I missed some of the best parts by not having a D/S along for the trip. :(
  11. jagred

jagred Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great RR. Great pics:thumb Next week I'll be through the Suches 6 Gap area for the first time. Really excited about riding some new territory (for me)…on my way to Deal's Gap
  12. tony99

tony99 n00b

Oddometer:
    I am going to Suches Monday with my wr250 r hope to find some of those Roads and trail. Looks like you had a great time. If anyone is down that way next week I to will be at Two Wheels camping
  13. KYwoodsrider

Oddometer:
  14. Allucaneat

Allucaneat When do we stop to eat? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like you had a great time and saw some beautiful scenery. I'm heading up to TWoS for the first time this Saturday afternoon and can't wait. I'll have to check out some of the routes you took. Great pictures!