riding the TAT

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Tom81, Oct 7, 2007.

1. Tom81

Tom81 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello,

My brother, my girlfriend and I are planning on doing the TAT one year into the future, and spend about 4-5 weeks on the trip itself.

We want to ride on Honda XRs. Probably a 400 for the girl and a 600/650R/650L for me and my brother, one for each :-)

But what are the availability of these bikes, used i TN?? I hope we can keep a total price of 3 bikes around 12000 USD.

And what is required for insurance for foreingers, both for the bikes, and also for ourselves??

Thank you very much,

Tom, Denmark
  2. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Jeff@TheQuadShop TAT survivor

Oddometer:
    You will have no problems finding those bikes for under 12k in the TN area.
    As far as insurance, I pay $80 per year for any motorcycle that I own. I'm not sure about the personal insurance.
  3. basketcase

basketcase lifelong reject fixer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Finding bikes in general is not terribly difficult. Finding three XR's in the area and for the specific trip might be more challenging.

Coming over, as he is, from Denmark, he will probably have to make some special insurance arrangements. Kind of the reverse of what we do when we head across the waters to Europe to ride.

Years past I traveled a lot internationally, but I don't know anything about that aspect of international riding.

:dunno
  4. Tom81

Tom81 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hmm, Maybe we could go with 3 DR650's :-)

What about larger fuel tanks for the XRs, is that hard to find in TN?

We would also need soft bag panniers of some kind.
  5. basketcase

Oddometer:
    I've been thinking on your questions, and the factors I see are several:

- Trip maps (available from the guy who drempt up the idea of the TAT)

- Locating and acquiring bikes. Three of the same kind, whether XR, DR, KLR, or something else, would cut down on the specialized reservior of maintenance for peace of mind riding. Perhaps one of the touring companies, or someone who knows of a local rental source, or even a dealer who can work something into his pre-owned watch list can help there.

- Insurance -- as noted above.

- Transportation from your airport to where ever you'll pick up bikes, and then to another airport if you dispose of bikes on the western end.

- Trip plans -- A daily itinerary, projected camp sites/motels, restaurants, fuel stops and costs.

- Local (US based) contacts for backup support in case of catostrophic mechanical crises, etc.

- Other emergency plans. Somewhere in an old copy of Rider I have a write up on the various Medflight insurers that I'll locate and e-mail to you.

No doubt there are other things to consider. Where are the folks hiding who have already ridden this trail, anyway? :ear
  6. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    The DR's are great bikes but I think the XR's make a better TAT bike. I rode the TAT last august on my XR600 and I can't think of a better bike that I could have chosen.
    I doubt you will find large tanks in stock in TN, there are gas stations on every corner in the east so big tanks aren't necessary. You will need to order the tanks (you'll need the big ones like the Acerbis 6 gallon) and have them shipped and ready to install when you pick up the bikes. I live 175 miles from Jellico and will help you in any way that I can.
    The TAT is a trip of a life time!!! :clap

[​IMG]
  7. Tom81

Tom81 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How big is the stock tank on the XR400 and the XR600, it's not even enough for 100 miles, is it??
  8. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    Not even close.
  9. Tom81

Tom81 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hmm dang..

We're gonna need bigger tanks then. Else we would spend most of the time looking for fuel.

Is it that hard finding IMS/Clarke/Acerbis tank i TN??

how long time will it take for 3 tanks to show up, if they are ordered them the same day we arrive somewhere in TN??
  10. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    I'd say no more than 1 week. The problem is most distributors are on the west coast.
    I could help you locate and gather parts before you arrive.
  11. basketcase

Oddometer:
    Out of curosity I e-mailed my bike insurer (Markel) to see if they offer a plan for internationals traveling by M/C in the U.S. They do not.

Surely somebody on this side of the waters offers that type of policy. So ... now I'm curious, "What companies do offer a short-term insurance policy for the international traveler?"

Finally, is there another place on Advrider where I should post the question?
  12. kmroxo

kmroxo Reno Rider

Oddometer:
    As far as getting the bikes and accessories set up ahead of time you might want to look into using a local dealer. Contact one and talk to the senior manager or owner and tell them what you want to do. Chances are they will be willing to help you out. The might some of the bikes you are interested in or be willing to take delivery of ones that you purchase from a private party. You can also ask them to order and install the larger tanks and panniers before you arrive. You will of course have to pay for all this before even seeing them, but that is my suggestion for getting the gear set up.

As for insurance, try contacting insurance companies directly like GEICO, State Farm, and Progressive. They all have websites so you can probably email them directly to see if they can help you out.
  13. Tom81

Tom81 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

The idea of getting a dealer to prepare 3 bikes for the trip is not that bad. but for now, I will stick to the present plan. That is, go to TN somewhere, buy 3 bikes and equip them by ourselves, perhaps with a little help form a friendly Advrider user :-) I like to know what I'm dealing with, and if a get a dealer to do if for me, chances are that I don't know jack about what's been done.

But if anyone has any info about insurance that might help, please post it.
  14. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    If you want to fly in to Louisville International Airport in Kentucky, I'll help with bike prep in anyway that I can. You could also have parts shipped here.
    I can help you find the bikes as well.
  15. Tom81

Tom81 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That might be an idea :-)

How far is it from you, to the "start" of the TAT in TN???
  16. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    By interstate its about 170 miles. I could arrange to guide you through the yet to be released KY section of the TAT. :evil
  17. Tom81

Tom81 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That sounds cool :-)

170 miles isn't that bad. I think that's the plan for now, going to Kentucky and prep bikes there :-)
  18. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
  19. Tom81

Tom81 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    nice :-)

Now you mention the Honda Transalp/africa Twin. Have you seen the pics of mine?
  20. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    I don't believe so...