Riding the Western U.S. - A Highlight Reel

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by selkins, Jun 11, 2020.

1. selkins

selkins Gotta light?

Oddometer:
    The world has seemed to be burning with fever and indignation lately, and personally, it's felt more than a little overwhelming. So, I took some overdue vacation and rode west for several days.

Trying out an edited highlight reel, rather than a narrative ride report with pics. Of course, some of the most memorable bits didn't lend themselves to video - waking up in the middle of the night to find a moose overhead, sniffing the top of my tent; a deer cautiously approaching as I sat reading at camp; riding through howling wind, rain, slush and snow on a remote highway in southwest Wyoming; and a visit and conversation with a dear friend at the tail end of the trip.

For me, nothing is as rejuvenating as spending some meaningful time out exploring and appreciating this big, beautiful world. I hope this video gives you a small taste.

Clampett, DragonJoe, Buhler1 and 14 others like this.
  2. Meritlane

Meritlane Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I liked it. So perfect for my mood right now. I’m heading that way in two weeks. Care to share your route? Looks like some nice wild camping.
    Andyota and selkins like this.
  3. selkins

selkins Gotta light?

Oddometer:
    Heya, @Meritlane . Glad you liked it. Here's a rough map, leaving out some spurs and detours.

https://goo.gl/maps/1CctM2qbVqUFegZY9

Great camping all around Ketchum, ID - I was several miles out on USFS road 162 (Baker Creek Rd), which is accessed from ID 75 about 15 miles north of Ketchum. Also, great spots east of town off the Trail Creek Rd, from several miles past Sun Valley all the way to several miles past the pass.

Also great camping northeast of Yellowstone, off WY-296. I went most of the way down Sunlight Rd (Park County Rd 101) and found beautiful creek-side campsites.

Beautiful spots can be located north of Steamboat Springs along Co Rd 129 (once it transitions to dirt). There are some other interesting surprises along that road, and some great scenery.

No need to resort to the fee sites, there are plenty of established, free, solo tenting sites, though plan to boil the water from creeks and no pit toilets.
    yokesman likes this.
  4. Folly1

Folly1 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great.

Thank you.

Ben.
    selkins likes this.
  5. Meritlane

Meritlane Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Selkins: This is very helpful. My loop is from Southern Cal. up to the Oregon coast. From Coos Bay I'll head East into Idaho and pickup your route at your most Eastern point and head southeast into Colorado, ultimately to Denver where I have some visiting to do. Last year I spent a couple of days at Pearl Lake, north of Steamboat on the (paved) 129 so I am glad to see that on your route. I did an out and back north from the Lake but at some point not too far into the dirt portion there was road work which had turned a nice surface into bottomless sand and gravel. I didn't know how long that bad surface would be or where it would take me so I turned around. Your route aswers that better than my Butler maps do and I look forward to riding it's length. Looking at the satellite view I cannot tell where the dirt starts. So, how is the surface on 70 heading East and when you continued on CO. 129 is that all dirt almost to Steamboat lake? hard or loose? I need to approximate my ride time. I am on a (non Adv) GS. Any sections of your journey fuel was an issue?
    thanks
    Bob
    selkins likes this.
  6. selkins

selkins Gotta light?

Oddometer:
    Heya @Meritlane ,

Yeah, 129 is all dirt and/or hard-pack basically to WY 70. Hwy 70 is paved rural hwy. Beautiful riding and no issues throughout. There were downed trees, but they had all been cleared at least enough to allow a route for 4-wheeled passage. I don't know what your comfort is like with unpaved surface, but I had no issues at all. It's Nat'l Forest for the south half, and private property (including more than one intriguing property/ranch) on the north/west end. Maybe a couple of short stretches of sandy bits, but nothing that caused me any concern. If you mean business, you can ride the entire stretch in 30 mins. If you wanna smell the roses you could take much more time. (hint: smell the roses)
  7. Andyota

Andyota Adventurer

Oddometer:
    All beautiful places to ride, thank you that was a great highlight reel. I lived in NW Montana for the first half of my life, and now am in New Mexico. I have grand plans to travel between those to go visit family up north and ride as much of the continental divide as possible, among other plans. I need more vacation time.
    selkins likes this.
  8. DragonJoe

DragonJoe Don’t know whatcha don’t know Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well done. Will be in WA,ID, MT in a few weeks. Think I’ll just splore around.
    Andyota likes this.