Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Hodakaguy, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Baja Ho

Baja Ho Momentum is your friend

Oddometer:
    Central Coast, CA. USA & Cabo San Lucas, Baja Sur
    The wife and I also camped at Bog for two days at exactly where you took your picture. I highly recommend it. The temp in the spring was 104* :freaky

[​IMG]
  2. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the pics and report.
  3. Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy NorthWest Adventure Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah it was great to see it there! I have a special project in mind for the crash site. I'm going to have a nice plaque made up to honor the airmen that lost their lives in the crash and describe a brief history of what happened. I'm thinking of welding up a stainless steel mount for the plaque. I'll make a special trip back up there next summer to mount it. The men who lost their lives in the crash really should be honored in some way up there.

Hodakaguy
    Pablo Mac likes this.
  4. Hodakaguy

Oddometer:
    Yeah the fat thing did great down there with the Lifan in it. That road is famous for eating tires! Wish you could have made the trip!

Hodakaguy
  5. AZ-Twin

AZ-Twin Dusty and Thirsty

Oddometer:
    Great report, thanks for taking the time to put this together, I have really enjoyed your writing and great images.

Thank you!!:clap:clap
  6. T Rider

T Rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great report and pictures. I can't believe the Alvord has that much water in it during August. I guess it really has been wet.

Do you have a GPS point of were the plane engine is actually at? We rode up there several years ago looking for it and were not able to find the wreckage although i know we were very close.

If you could send me a location for that and the bulldozer in Nevada I would really appreciate. A PM would be great since you probably don't want to post that for the entire world.

Thanks and I love reports from that area of the country. Its beautiful out there.
  7. Hodakaguy

Oddometer:

That must just seem like "the spot" to take a pic :D

Hodakaguy
  8. team ftb

team ftb Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome RR Hodakaguy!!!

One thing that I miss about riding in the states is the scenic wide open vistas that you guys can enjoy. RR's like yours make me miss them even more. Very nice RR:clap.

Tech question for ya. how long does it take to charge you Gopro from your bike battery? Also have you calced how many charges from a full battery you can get before worrying about the motor being able to crank over in the morning?

Trivia question. Have you learnt what the cabins you guys come across were originally used for? Hunting, mining? just curious.
  9. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Nice work on the report and pics! I was out there in late June dodging ice storms and snow/wind/lightning/black clouds.
    Its a great place to explore for days and days with out running in the same direction twice.
    Your report reinforces the need for me to get out there again,Nevada has so much wide open uninhabited area its amazing! Thanks again!!!!!!!!!
  10. Macadam Drifter

Macadam Drifter Explorer of the Backroads

Oddometer:
    Thanks for another wonderful RR. I like those lightning strike pictures and the aircraft wreck pics as well :clap

Haven't been able to ride much due to health issues-- so I'm vicariously living through others, for now anyway:evil

Mkd
  11. Hodakaguy

Oddometer:
    Finally got around to making a video of the trip. It's mostly a slide show with video highlights put to music.

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/STsCBvt_gsY" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>

Hodakaguy
  12. Baja Ho

Baja Ho Momentum is your friend

Oddometer:
    Central Coast, CA. USA & Cabo San Lucas, Baja Sur
    Nice job. :thumb
  13. BOOGIEMAN

BOOGIEMAN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great pictures nice adventure. Thanks for the ride along.:clap
  14. Cpt. Ron

Cpt. Ron Advrider #128

Oddometer:
    I'm so glad I found this report. I REALLY need to hit this area sooner than later...
  15. lookatdirt

lookatdirt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks a lot for a great ride report. This area just made my top ten list. :deal
  16. ata

ata expat in the jungle

Oddometer:
    brilliant RR

:clap
  17. ppfeifer

ppfeifer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hodakaguy,

Really nice ride report, I liked your video and music selection. What program did you use to put it together? I liked the combination of slide show, video and Go Pro. Someday I'll have to travel up that direction and experience the wild lightning, horses and the wide open spaces.

Thanks for sharing,

ppfeifer
  18. Hodakaguy

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I'm using Corel Video Studio Pro X4. It takes a while to learn the program but it's pretty capable, I'm still in the learning process.

I love that country, soooo much to see down there.

Hodakaguy
  19. Hodakaguy

Oddometer:
    It takes about the same time as plugging in at the house, it really depends on how much current is being supplied from your USB charging adapter...try to find one that will charge at 1000 mah or close to it, a 500mah unit will charge a lot slower. I usually plug it in as soon as we get to camp and let it start charging, I have 5 gopro batteries that I carry with me so if I only get one charged in a given night I'm usually fine. The capacity of the camera batteries are so small I never worry about draining the bikes batt, I've charged my cell phone, GoPro batts and camera batts and have never had a issue with starting the next morning. I run a TurnTech Lithium battery in the bike.

Not exactly sure what the different building are that we pass. I'm sure some are early home steads that had livestock etc, others mining camps or maybe just a small place to stay in while they are out tending livestock for a couple days. In any case it would have been a hard existence so far out in the middle of nowhere. I enjoy stopping and checking out any abandoned structure, it always brings up questions in ones mind about the life the people who built them lead.

Hodakaguy
  20. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Great report Tom:clap There's some interesting history for an area that appears so desolate. Thanks for sharing it with us.