Riding through OR/CA on 11/11/02

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by turkish, Nov 8, 2002.

1. turkish

turkish Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm riding a new (to me anyway) '02 ADV back from a dealer in southern Washington state next week. I figure it'll take me three days or so to make it from there down to Oakland, CA, where I live.

I wanted to probe the collective advrider wisdom on which route to take for the way back. My first choice would be to hop on 395 at Pendleton, OR and ride that at least as far south as Susanville, CA. Depending on the weather, I might continue on 395 S to pick up I80 west, or track my way through some of the smaller roads for more fun.

The guys at the dealership are all saying that I should take I84 west from Pendleton, OR out to I5 and then superslab it all the way home.

A thousand miles of interstate would pretty much suck. Of course, parking the bike in a tree after finding some black ice on a mountain road would suck even more.

Any advice/suggestions?
  2. Chopperman

Chopperman I am dead

Oddometer:
    395 is a 2 lane version of the slab. If I had the choice I would go the coast. In the off season it is plenty nice there. But wet and stormy. Once you get to the southern border of Or I believe you have to trek inland to get past the Siskiyous. Then back to the coast.
  3. Tracker

Tracker Guest

Put your rain gear on, ride the WA side of the Columbia to Vancouver, cross over to Oregon, then ride the Or side of the Columbia to the coast and take hwy 101 south to Oakland.
    It may rain but you won't get any ice/snow as you would likely find on 395 this time of the year, plus 395 is kinda boring south thru Or and northern Ca.
    This time of year the motorhome traffic is way down on 101, makes for good bike rideing. You can also take I-5 south from Portland to Eugene, cross over to the coast then down to Ca.
    If you decided to go this way give me a holler, and if its early in the morning (I work swing) I may jam over to the coast with you. grab a bowl of chowder and send you south .

Cheers.
  4. Rubber Cow

Rubber Cow GS Dork

Oddometer:
    I just did the ride from Portland to the Bay Area and back a few weeks ago. The latest storm has made riding from here to there rather nasty but I 'd have to agree with the two previous posts and suggest that you take the coastal route. On our way down we headed West and took a left on 101 South. The first day we left Aloha at 11 AM and made it to Crescent City for the night. The next day we fooled around on the coast South of Eureaka and still made it to the Bay Area by sunset. The coast may be wet but it shouldn't be icy. Get your Gore-Tex and electric clothing at the San Mateo show this weekend and get ready for a great ride. You could also bomb down 5 from Portland and take HWY 199 out to Crescent City and then down 101. I just did it in cold but clear weather in twelve hours.
    Give me a heads up and I'll buy ya lunch and ride with ya for a bit.
    Cheers,
    Jorge

If the weather is nice I'd suggest heading out to the lost coast south of Eureka where this pic was taken..
  5. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the new scoot and welcome to the asylum, turkish!

I agree on the coastal route. Chances of hitting ice are much reduced, and it's a far nicer ride, although 5 is the way to go if you gotta make time. The coastal route down OR and CA takes a LONG time.

So...My recommendation is slab down 5 through Oregon (there really isn't a whole lot to see on the coast, other than a bazillion little resort towns and slow going. I did it once, and that's enough. Middle of summer? Yes to escape the heat, otherwise...don't bother unless you like lollygagging or you want to camp a lot (there are lots of nice state campgrounds on the OR coast).

At Grants Pass, head west on 199 down to Crescent City, CA and head down 101 from there. When you get to Leggett, if you have the time, some of the most bitchin twisties in the world run from Leggett out to the coast on 1. If you're pressed for time, just keep heading down 101 to Oak out of Leggett. Otherwise, keep heading down 1 to Albion, and hit 128 east to Cloverdale, and down 101 to Oak, or another alt is continue down 1, but cut inland at Bodega Bay on Bodega Hwy...oh hell, I'm sure you know the Sonoma County roads, no?

Have a great ride, be safe and take pics!
  6. turkish

turkish Long timer

Oddometer:
    The consensus is clearly the coast for this ride. I've been on 395 in California (in a cage) and remember it as being a fun road. I was thinking that maybe 395 a little farther north was interesting too, but that's why I wanted to ask folks who would know.

I'll be leaving Clarkston, WA (on Idaho border) as early as I can on Monday morning. I'm not sure how far I'll get in the first day, but I should make it to I5 without a problem.

From the comments, it looks like there isn't an easy way to escape road boredom in Oregon. In that case, hammering down I5 is probably the best way to reduce the pain.

I'm a sucker for twisties though and I want to see how this beast of a motorcycle actually handles on Rt 1 in CA. I'm hoping it will turn out to be something akin to the hypothetical offspring of my two current bikes: a '95 916 and a '98 Husaberg FC600.
  7. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    Oh you are gonna LOVE the twisties from Leggett to the coast. Notice at the coast on the map below "Usal Road"...hard to find route into the Lost Coast. If you've got time, it's really fun to explore on a GS. Which reminds me, are you going to have Tourances or knobs on that bike?
  8. turkish

turkish Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure what the tires are. They're not knobbies. Maybe Tourances, maybe T66s.

So, where does Usal Rd. go?
  9. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
  10. Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon Enjoying the ride

Oddometer:
    Tracker is spot on. This time of year you're limited to coming down the north side of the Columbia on 14. When you hit the Rose City (PDX) take 205 South. Here's the big picture.

Attached Files:

11. RedMenace

RedMenace Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer:
    Actually, you might be able to jet down 97. It looks passable today, with slush at the sides of the roads at the Southern end, fairly clear thru central Oregon.
    There are some nice alternatives on either side of I-5, time and weather permiting. Farming roads with covered bridges, nicer scenery, little traffic.
    You could cross the Columbia at Cathalamet on a little 6 car ferry and go South thru Mist, Banks, Forest Grove, Yamhill, McMinville, Picking up 99W all the way to Eugene and step onto I-5 there, or go to the coast or go a few miles further South towards or even past Cottage Grove before picking up I-5. There is a similar route East of I-5, which I usually pick up out of Sandy(you can actually cross over from the Columbia River Scenic Highway at Corbbet past Roslyn Lake and down Ten Ecks Road to Sandy, but you need a map), going thru Eagle Creek, Estacada, Mollala, Silverton, Stayton, Scio and wander Sout West until I pick up I-5. Or take the Buena Vista ferry(4 car) across to the West side and down 99E or 99W from there. Stay off 99 E from Oregon City to Salem, it sucks. Lots of truck traffic lots of stoplights.

Current conditions here(Hood River, heart of the Columbia Gorge) about 50F off and on rain, roads are wet.
    Check the weather cams before you pick a route!

oregon weather cams

Attached Files:

12. turkish

turkish Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey, those weather cams are cool. On that same page, I noticed a link for snow chain requirements. I didn't see anything about motorcycles though.
  13. RedMenace

RedMenace Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer:
    :):

Attached Files: