Riding to beat the black dog of depression?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by B1, Apr 22, 2017.

1. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    watched a show last night about guys who had attempted suicide after years of struggling with depression. got inspired by their honesty and courage in the face of despair and as i usually do, i made a video about it...

anyone else wrestling with the black dog? do you find a ride clears your head, even temporarily?

and here's a follow up based on discussions in this thread. :brow

oldoval, swimmer, insomnia and 38 others like this.
  2. Mac Ka

Mac Ka Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great stuff ! Good on you for posting this. Mental health and all its forms, including depression, are currently getting a lot of attention in the U.K. at the moment as it's being, quite rightly, elevated to the same status as any other physical condition that
    someone may suffer from. It is not a dark, taboo, embarrassing subject that no one should speak of for fear of being branded a loser / witch / thicko etc etc. Even the Royals have been publicly adding to the project of lifting the shroud of loneliness off mental health and depression by openly talking about the loss of their (Will and Harry) mother, Diana.

I guess the 1st road to help is in fact doing as suggested and talking to someone.
    Bridge Builder, Snowbird and 9Realms like this.
  3. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    Yes, riding helps. It's something that pretty well requires all your focus, or you die. Also is a lift when you can get out with a couple of your chums and have a distraction for a day, even a couple hours.
    Working on one's bike is also the gift that keeps on giving, there are many Zen-like moments to be had just focusing on a bike repair, modification or just some maintenance.

I feel bad for people that either never try to get help, or the one's that go see a doctor or therapist just one time and get turned off and don't try again.
    nk14zp, Tallbastid, Maggot12 and 3 others like this.
  4. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Getting outside is well known to help.
    Getting outside ones own head also.

Motorcycles definitely a good way to do both.
    tommymerle, jjjjjjay, nk14zp and 12 others like this.
  5. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    great to hear, mac ka. if someone has chronic back pain we can undertand and sympathise... but when something goes wrong in someone's head we tend to head for the hills and see them as crazy and see it as a personal weakness. hopefully it will keep changing for the better.
    nk14zp, Little Bike and Mac Ka like this.
  6. Crisis management

Crisis management Latte riders FTW!

Oddometer:
    Good of you to bring this up Barry, depression and other mental illness are truly destructive and the best solution is to make it a safe topic to discuss, doesn't necessarily cure anything but it gives you a lifeline to know your not on your own.
    Just off to kick a black dog, I feel a Ducati calling my name.

PS, please don't show KTMs with billet fuel caps it only adds to my sense of inadequacy.
    nk14zp and Snowbird like this.
  7. DittyBag

DittyBag A bag of dirty stuff

Oddometer:
    ^ As he said, a good thing to post.

I will add. I don't believe that anyone who has not experienced depression can understand what it is. I didn't understand it and I reacted with the same simplistic responses and solutions that are always offered. That is, until the black dog jumped me during a time that I was taking pain killers to help me with an injury. The overriding theme of my experience is that I had zero desire to get better, zero care about anything. How does one help that?!!! It was an awful thing to experience, but it was also a great thing in that I was finally able to see the monumental task that some people face. I wouldn't trade anything for that knowledge and I greatly respect those who are dealing with ongoing depression.
  8. BetterLateThanNever

BetterLateThanNever Long timer

Oddometer:
    An important message. And some nice shooting, too.
  9. CDRW

CDRW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is a good video. Riding a motorcycle is one of the factors that has helped me with depression and part of why I don't currently need medication.
    nk14zp, klx250sfguy, TT RDHS and 2 others like this.
  10. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    I have heard that using mushrooms,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psilocybin_mushroom

Prevents depression long term.
    I know I have tried them when young and never seem to get depressed, I seem to be very stable as far as moods go, even on bad days and when bad things happen.

I can not say I really liked the high they gave, but maybe there were benefits.
    They are reported to work better then any drugs made to treat depression, and last long term.
    Bollocks and Snowbird like this.
  11. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider

Oddometer:
    Interesting, I had never heard that before.
    Its too bad people abuse many drugs that can be used properly for medical purposes. Shrooms are a Schedule I "controlled dangerous substance" that can get you arrested in most (or all ) of the United States.

12. RedRam

RedRam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting this. I won't go into my personal experiences with depression, but suffice to say I've dealt with it. I also watched some linked videos, (in addition to yours) and the one about riding around Australia really made the point that awareness is key. Thanks again for your efforts.
    Undocumented and trc.rhubarb like this.
  13. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    well said, dittybag. i know my few bouts of garden variety of depression are nothing like serious clinical depression. e.g. apparently in very serious cases people don't even have the motivation or energy to commit suicide, and the danger is if and when medication starts to help there's a dangerous point where they have recovered enough to actually commit suicide.

that sort of experience must be hell on earth.
    Undocumented likes this.
  14. PT Rider

PT Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There are many types of depression. I don't know if there is a widely accepted list of the various types.
    There are many treatments. Until the different types of depression are recognized and specif treatments listed for each type, effective treatment can remain a crap shoot, with dependence on the skill and experience of the medical provider and sometimes just luck landing on a treatment that works for the individual.
  15. DesertPilot

DesertPilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Riding can help. It can be a slender but valuable lifeline to a world where the depression is gone. You may get home, kick the sidestand down, get off the bike, and feel the darkness crash back down like all the weight of the world was settling on your shoilders, but for one brief moment, the sun was shining the way it should. It's an important reminder of the way things are supposed to be, it's a glimpse of hope, and it can help. It made a difference for me.

Unless, of course, you get home, forget to kick the sidestand down, and get off the bike. That didn't seem to help quite as much. Darn it...
  16. atomicalex

atomicalex silly aluminum boxes Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    My favorite part of motorcycling is being outside.
    kwthom and svs like this.
  17. Offcenter

Offcenter On The Road Again!

Oddometer:
    You hit the right on the head!
  18. Steve in Golden

Steve in Golden Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Haven't noticed any black dogs that need beating lately but sometimes, riding the GS helps to ward off the brown bear of despondency. Unless I'm stuck behind too many cagers.
    Red_dog and DesertPilot like this.
  19. Cyclus Motorius

Cyclus Motorius Time to Ride

Oddometer:
    Great video, thanks for making and posting it.
    I'm bipolar, but the black holes (what I call it) far exceed the white suns. And yes, cycle-therapy is a valid treatment for me. I eventually quit seeking treatment because nothing worked, and the medical providers had all my money. Motorcycle riding is good therapy, and lots cheaper.
    fishslapr, drmiller100 and DittyBag like this.
  20. Pokey89

Pokey89 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great post! I've fought my entire life with chronic depression and the associated problems (addiction, alienation, poverty, etc). Finally got my shit together enough to get back into bikes a few years ago and it's been a great thing for me. Just getting on the bike in the morning is enough motivation to go to work and I've been keeping jobs for the first time. Even when I'm not riding that much tinkering keeps me busy enough to avoid shutting down. My dad even got a bike and we have used them to replenish a bond that has been gone for over a decade. All in all riding again has made life much more enjoyable and its worth saying even if this post is strong with the wuss:rofl