Riding to beat the black dog of depression?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by B1, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious

Oddometer:
    Hmm. I see you are in Florida. While your mentor does make a good point, if he isn't a rider then maybe he doesn't get it fully. I think Florida lacks a lot of the elements that I need to make my riding truly therapeutic. I need mountains and tall deep forests, rushing streams and rock ledges that go on and on. Curving lonely roads where I can link turns and zoom up steep inclines and see whats over the other side. And solitude and quiet in nature. Or vast deserts, etc. So, I think with Florida ( and many other places) you might benefit from going up into other environments.
  2. Thebusdweller

Thebusdweller Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    20190312_144045.jpg
    The desert is where I get myself right.
  3. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    Facebook had one of those memories posts on my homepage today of an all day dirt ride I did solo in the local mountains and had a great time. It was 3 years ago. If you’d asked me how long ago I would have said at least 5. The last 2 years have really really sucked, made it seem like it’s been so much longer from better times.
  4. KTee

KTee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The good thing is (I’m risking an assumption here) those trails are still there.
  5. X-wing fighter

X-wing fighter Do or Do not, There is no try!!!!!! Supporter

Oddometer:
  6. KTee

KTee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bumping this thread to the top of everyone’s feed.

It’s almost getting too hot to ride here (almost) with temperatures in the mid-90s every day. Someone in my group was nice enough to throw together a Memorial Day ride that was great fun and much-needed.

Someone else was nice enough to ruin it later in the week with their emotional baggage; so of course, I ran straight to this thread to remind myself that there are riders who support one another thoughtfully and respectfully. And they aren’t even that far away.

Hope y’all are riding! Happy Weekend!
  7. Sal Pairadice

Oddometer:
    Hi KT

I'm sort of curious what his baggage was.

Sounds like a trip north or northwest is in order. Here in NY the montains are green and beautiful again. The call of the road is irresistible. Last night Julie and I rode the Dl1000 around "our" mountain, and into a hidden valley through verdant apple orchards and vineyards. Hardly any buildings out there, just trees and hills. We came to a beautiful old house at the very base of the Catskill mountains that has been made into a German restaurant. The view off the porch as we ate dinner and watched the sunset was like another planet. Then we rode across the darkening fields to a small concert hall that was build in an old mill and met with friends new and old and listened to a great band. They have a 150' waterfall right off their porch and we sat outside and watched the ancient waters cascade down the gorge. It was a good night. Random. I had no idea it was coming.

I don't know how I'd live without those mountains and rivers and green fields and trees. Yet life daily adds it's complications. Once aboard the bike, however perilous our lives are, we are free of those complications as long as the stand is up and the wheels are turning.

I try to tell younger people (I'm 54) that if you live right and think things through, and care about shit and try and be a good person - by the time you get to 50 if you are lucky you will really come into your own, and you will have a kind of quiet peace and strength inside. An inner happiness. No one tells you that. The trick is like pruning a tree or tending a garden. No, actually, its much more like keeping an antique motorcycle. You want the patina,you want the character the mileage has given it but not the big dents or missing parts. Keep it original and take care of it. You want your soul to become this sort of beautiful thing. I get the impression from your posts that you are on the right road.

Ride on.
  8. Hero of Moka

Hero of Moka Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Younger person (33) here. Dog started chasing me around 10-15years ago. Probably the freest feeling of my life since then was my solo trip to West Virginia / Virginia mountains moto-camping last summer. Motorcycling and getting older in general has helped. Before motorcycles, I used to bicycle and it didn't have nearly the therapeutic effect. Maybe its because you can feel the motorcycle engine under you doing its best. Even if you lost all your friends and relationships with your family even, the bike is still gonna love you and do its best for you. The bike will always need you to ride it - and I guess it feels good to be needed?
    Little Bike, KTee and Thebusdweller like this.
  9. KTee

KTee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So when’s your next trip?
    Hero of Moka likes this.
  10. KTee

KTee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    To be honest, Sal, I’m not going near that guy again with a 10 foot pole...it’s hard to watch a fellow rider go through something that’s so dark it sets off my “spidey senses”. But, you know what?, part of getting older and maturing into a life that includes a black dog *is* also learning when to quit.
    Long story, short: sympathy led me to get close to this person, and he tried to take advantage of it. Not cool.

I’ll PM you about NY, it’s been a long-time desire to ride there. I have a coworker who lives in PA off the Delaware, and it’s not hard to see why people love to ride (street included) in that part of the country.
    Sal Pairadice likes this.
  11. Sal Pairadice

Oddometer:
    Everyone let me know if this pic comes through for you. This says it all about Southern NY Roads From New England Riders

[​IMG]
    Amphib and KTee like this.
  12. Pokey89

Pokey89 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well after the first few months of the year not being the best i finally got to get out with my dad for a 3 day ride and camp. Went back to where I grew up in south la and took a little trip down memory lane. Was a great reset to spend the nights out fishing like I used to. Stopped by the old house and rode the basin levees I used to peddle down.

Spirits stayed high until the last morning and having to go back home. Exhaustion from long miles and little sleep had me cranky going into a situation already full of turmoil. Overall a good trip and I felt loads better out on the road. Might be time for a more comfy bike and longer trips!

(Ill add a couple pics later not cooperating)

Attached Files:

KTee and Sal Pairadice like this.
  13. Hero of Moka

Hero of Moka Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Later this summer I'm planning to do the same trip but with my husband along with me. In the meantime I need to finish my naked Helix in time for Vintage Days, find a new job, sell my FZ6, buy an R3 among other things. Should keep me busy enough!
    KTee likes this.
  14. KTee

KTee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Definitely upload those, sounds awesome!
    Pokey89 likes this.
  15. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    I'm sure this won't work for everyone, but sometimes when the blues settle in I can shake them by reminding myself that we aren't here for all that long. Mind you sometimes that can be depressing to think about too!

I visit a bunch of crazy Canadians every year and one of them is a closet philosopher (after his second whiskey) and talked about this brief chance of life we are given...

16. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thought this was pretty funny, gotta laugh at it sometimes!

[​IMG]
    Jim Nazium, Snooby, KTee and 4 others like this.
  17. Cloud Roamer

Cloud Roamer i do it in the road.

Oddometer:
    NY Route 22 used to be a bitchn' road in the 1990's. been a good whilst since I cut up that asphalt. It runs N-S up the Eastern spine. Access to three states. Pretty. (was too)

Does anybody know if the 1969 Beauty Award Highway is still open? access near Claverack, Columbia County.
    CR->
    Sal Pairadice likes this.
  18. Sal Pairadice

Oddometer:
    Oh, yes. We looove 22. New England Riders had it on their list of Best Roads but took it off because it wasn't twisty enough. I use it to go from here ( Poughkeepsie) to Vermont or Mass. In fact the wife and I took my Strom up through 22 for a nice weekend in Vermont last August. We got to Hoosick Falls, then Bennington and then up into the Green Mountains. What a great ride, no cities, no traffic, still beautiful.

I know a nice cut through, I get off the Taconic at Jackson Corners and take County Rt 7 and head east to 22 through some farms.

I have to go back that way soon.
  19. Jim Nazium

Jim Nazium n00b

Oddometer:
    I think it can help. (Disclaimer: I am not a scientist, doctor, or psychologist) I work at a desk job, crunching numbers all day, and tend to ruminate on my problems and try to think my way out of them. It doesn't work. Riding seems to activate different parts of my brain and get me out of mental ruts. Plus I get outside and spend time with friends.
    raiderone likes this.
  20. DesertPilot

DesertPilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Spot on! As a scientist, who spend 30+ years at NASA Thinking About Things, I've concluded that trying to think your way out of a depression does not work. It only makes things worse, like picking at a scab.

Going out and doing something absorbing -- something like windsurfing, flying hang gliders, big workouts in the gym, killer mountain bike descents, or riding, that grabs your attention and forces you to forget all the dark thoughts -- helps. It may only be a for moment, but hey, that's a moment!

Getting waved across an intersection by a pilot in an F-104 while I was driving to the Space Science Building one morning also helped. It was hard not to smile after that...
    KTee likes this.