Riding to beat the black dog of depression?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by B1, Apr 22, 2017.

1. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Knowledge is horsepower

Oddometer:
    I made it out last Saturday with my old riding buddies. 440 miles total. Perfect weather damn near.

My depression is better since I started riding my MTB again. So I'm riding that as much as possible. Good way to meet like minded people.

Weather has been nice too. But I really haven't "fixed" the real problem, which is still there.

Sure would be nice to get away from the rat race for a year though and do what ever I want. Not a rich man so off to work. :twitch
    Amphib, KTee, mysticbus and 3 others like this.
  2. KTee

KTee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’d like to throw something out there that your comment makes me think of - it’s occurring to me, as I approach 30, that we have a lot more control over our lives than we probably give ourselves credit for, money having very little to do with it.

For more than a year I’ve said “I wish I had the bravery to do XYZ (usually it’s sell everything and ride around Africa)”. On a long plane ride recently, I got to consider...what stopping me?

There’s no correct way to answer that. The ones who do aren’t “right”, and the ones who don’t aren’t “wrong” - if I had to make a generalization, I’d say the ones who REGRET were wrong.

But I’d like to ask you to think about it with me.
  3. DesertPilot

DesertPilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As someone who's pretty much always done XYZ (hang glide in the Swiss Alps, sail in tropical storms, pay my way through graduate school by making and selling armor, study spacecraft data from the edge of interstellar space, etc., because hey, you only live once), I'd have to agree. We have more control over our lives than many people realize. This may also be more control than many people want, for they seem more comfortable believing they have to lead the lives -- or ride the motos -- that other people tell them to.

I believe you're right about regret being the test. The question I've always asked myself when faced with these choices has been, "Will I regret not having done this thing, years from now when I'm lying in a nursing home, even if the money I saved would get me into a better nursing home?"
    pratered and KTee like this.
  4. MattLikeyBikey

MattLikeyBikey Been here awhile

Oddometer:

This is something near to me. So many people need me in various ways that have made a very solid habit planning to do something "someday" which never arrives. I like this video. To paraphrase Mitch Hedberg, people either like Gary V, or hate him, or think he's just ok. But if you can get past the f bombs, this is pretty heavy.

YYZ Rush, phideaux and KTee like this.
  5. jjjjjjay

jjjjjjay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After a week with lots of stuggle, it was so amazing to get time to ride today. So much pressure when things are difficult for the moments of "escape" to justify the daily bs.

But that aint why I thought of this thread. Nope.

Got my two wheels fix this morning...weather worked out...rode twice...then went for a bicycle ride! Oh and watched a bit of MotoGP qualifying this morning... Whew...:bmwrider
  6. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you have nothing stopping you (family, finances, work obligations) then definitely do it. It’s rare times during our lives that we don’t have significant obstacles to long adventures.
    KTee likes this.
  7. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious

Oddometer:
    That is one of the great benefits of travel. It gives you enough perspective to say to yourself things like " what is stopping me?" And absent all the bullshit of daily struggles, you see possibilities.

I was way up around Mt. Tremper yesterday and while riding through a mountain pass I had a revelation about what I should do with my life. I can't remember it now, but it was a good one.
  8. KTee

KTee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ha! The good part is you had it.

Sad to say, I’m feeling the cloud (dog? Black dog cloud?) on its way - it’s been a good few weeks without it. Will be traveling for work the next three weeks and weekends, but! planning to take to the hotel treadmills with Graham Jarvis GoPro videos and see how that works out.

If you’re feeling it coming on, I highly recommend the above.
  9. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    I see what you mean, KTee.

I've got an elliptical trainer for when the weather's no good for outdoor exercise and the past two weeks I've been playing hard enduro helmet cam footage while wheezing away like an asthmatic walrus.... incredible how much faster you'll pump away with some good video footage!
    KTee likes this.
  10. Sal Pairadice

Oddometer:
    I gotta say treadmills and videos sounds like a sure fire recipe for depression for me. Maybe Although in fairness my consumption of MC videos goes way up in winter.

Then again I am a GenX kid and we were mostly free range, riding junk bicycles through the woods, etc.

I am a believer in the mini adventure. Adventure and human caring are the cures. Way outside of yourself is the place to be.
    jjjjjjay and KTee like this.
  11. KTee

KTee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hahaha - this got a legitimate laugh, Sal. I’m with you! The treadmill isn’t the steed of choice, but is the lesser of evils when trapped in a hotel and torrential storms outside.
    Sal Pairadice likes this.
  12. Pokey89

Pokey89 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Lately I find myself with a major crossroads fast approaching in my life. Despite my honest efforts of adopting the accepted lifestyle its all gone wrong. I should have seen it coming yet a string of poor decisions for all the right reasons have brought on a downward spiral. Faced with the prospect of starting over in an empty house working a job i dont like in a miserable place its got me thinking.
    Oddly enough this failure does not have me all that down. The concept of a long term ride aimlessly wandering has suddenly become very appealing. While it would take me a while to sell my entire assortment of random junk theres plenty enough to get me going. Just keep riding until I find a reason not to. Always wanted to see south america. Maybe its all mania...but it sure sounds fun! Or I should go see a professional to knock some sense into my head!
    Tarmac Kid and B1 like this.
  13. BetterLateThanNever

BetterLateThanNever Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sometimes we have to be someone we're not for one reason or another, but too much of that will eventually do you in. Sorry for your troubles, but congratulations on your rebirth. I wish you happiness.
    Pokey89 and B1 like this.
  14. Sal Pairadice

Oddometer:
    Get the fuck out of Mississippi, I say. Ride to anywhere. But all this talk of a crossroads coming and everything going wrong makes the answer to any of this very complicated. It seems like you need something besides riding to come back to. Everyone needs the same sort of things to be happy in life. The basics; love, work, enough money, a community we can serve and time to have fun. A chance to be a better man, and be appreciated.
  15. Nurse Ratched

Nurse Ratched Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Now over 60 years of age, I would have to respectfully disagree with your statement about the control we have over our lives. I won't write a book about why I disagree (and I could), but I will simply disagree.
    KTee likes this.
  16. Pokey89

Pokey89 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the insight Sal, I will agree that summertime ms is no fun at all haha. It is fairly complicated for now until everything gets divided up so its hard to iron down plans. I will be getting some outside help before any drastic actions are taken however. You are absolutely correct in needing more than what I have in mind though. Maybe a professional perspective can help me fill in the blanks
    Sal Pairadice likes this.
  17. Sal Pairadice

Oddometer:
    Obviously, you are both right, but from different ages and perspectives.

In the case of a healthy 30 yo who ditches the corporate life and takes off for adventure, yes. But time has a way of catching up with us, don't it?
    Nurse Ratched likes this.
  18. BetterLateThanNever

BetterLateThanNever Long timer

Oddometer:
    He’s just saying we have more than we think, and that is surely true, even if it’s only not letting hardship define us. Also >60, I’m sometimes dumbstruck by what I’ve survived... I just think folks on this thread need to know that it’s worth it, that the road takes you somewhere good.
    playinatwork and DesertPilot like this.
  19. BvilleBud

BvilleBud Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Death by Superbike

Do you ever wonder how many tragic motorcycle accidents are not really accidents? It has been a hell of a year for me. Last week the ex finally signed the papers and I'm free of her. It will cost me a lot in the future but it cost me a hell of a lot more in wear and tear in the past. I am very happy to be done, and life is getting back to normal.

After living through this, I wonder how many of those obits we read about a single rider killed in a motorcycle accident was no accident at all.
  20. Dale402

Dale402 The holder of what's unused Supporter

Oddometer:
    When I was in college the stat was that 20% of single vehicle fatalities were actually suicides.

That said, I’m getting out to Colorado and then Washington to beat the black dog. I don’t even leave my house anymore... of course,it’s hot out but not an excuse.

Take care all! Enjoy some riding.
    KTee likes this.