Riding to beat the black dog of depression?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by B1, Apr 22, 2017.

1. BanjoBoy

BanjoBoy I like pussy

Oddometer:
    Dunno 'bout depression, butt...

2. curtis6870

curtis6870 Long timer

Oddometer:
    A song written about having sex with an African American Woman, and Clinical Depression are 2 different things.
    Though I like the spirit.
  3. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, lets not get this thread off the rails.

(But enjoyed the video. And Black Dog was inspired by the studio's horny black lab)
  4. dannyh982

dannyh982 n00b

Oddometer:
    It has been a continuous battle for me since the age of 8. Motorcycling has always been my best coping mechanism, when I was younger I would take off on my dirt bike and forget about everything. Now I am 43 years old and still use it to help, although I am dealing with one of the worst bouts I have had right now. I have been off work since last Thursday on vacation and literally can't make myself do anything. I want to ride but cant get the motivation to walk to the garage. I did make it out there earlier this week looked at my bikes and closed the door. Ugh never been this bad before. This thread has made me feel better though knowing I am not the only one. Maybe yall can be part of my support system, because my friends and family are just like man up, its all in your head, well I know its in my head but that doesn't help. And yes I have had Dr's help, been on several different meds, but have no insurance right now and cant afford them without it. Well thanks for reading my sob story back to laying on the couch...
  5. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    GO RIDE
  6. dannyh982

dannyh982 n00b

Oddometer:
    Its raining now....
  7. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Even better Laugh at the rain....you'll dry off just fine.
  8. RedShark

RedShark Long timer

Oddometer:
    So get fucking wet. Doesn't have to be a LONG ride, or a GREAT ride, or an Epic Ride. Just. Fuckin'. Ride.

I know of what I speak. Sometimes you just have to fake it until you can make it.
    Iron and Arthritis likes this.
  9. Little Bike

Oddometer:
    Check Costco prices for meds, I found them to be very affordable (in fact cost less sometimes paying out of pocket than the copays using my Kaiser pharmacy health insurance).

Yeah, don't you love the "get over it" thing? If any of them break their leg, throw out their back or get the flu tell them to man up and just cheer up and get over it. It's a PHYSICAL disorder that affects mood and cognition. Tell them it's all in your head because that's where your brain is housed. Kind of like saying, "it's just all in your leg" if you break a bone.

It's taken a bit, but I think I'm finally getting through to family and friends regarding "mental" illness.
    dannyh982 likes this.
  10. Little Bike

Oddometer:
    Here's something I have, right next to the TV. ; )

[​IMG]

Every day I have to do one of these, doesn't matter if I don't do anything else all day, I have to accomplish one of these tasks. You might try something like this, keep it just one or two things and keep it simple. I'm finding it to be helpful, I often do both now, but just getting one done lifts my mood and I have a sense of accomplishment rather than beating up on myself that I did nothing all day.

If you've never had depression this may seem really silly, but should also give people an idea of just how bad it can get.
  11. Edward Teach

Edward Teach Adventurer

Oddometer:
  12. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    One of the most laugh enduring rides I ever had..caught out in a massive downpour on a scooter in Bermuda....laughing so hard even the sketchy people on King St walked away from me.
    Little Bike likes this.
  13. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    Have you tried hookers and blow?
    BanjoBoy likes this.
  14. Little Bike

Oddometer:
    Come on, seriously?
  15. dannyh982

dannyh982 n00b

Oddometer:
    Don't worry Little Bike I am used to those comments. BTW I DID go for a ride this evening, had to go to the store and basically forced myself to take the bike. It took me a hour and a half to go 1 mile to the store, I guess you could say I took the long way around.
  16. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good...now get some rest

Get up, do some push ups....and ride in the morning
  17. Little Bike

Oddometer:
    Awesome! Love rides like that.....hehehehehe
  18. TheProphet

TheProphet Retired; Living the Dream

Oddometer:
    True clinical depression can only be treated by Professionals, along with prescription drugs and therapy.

Otherwise, three tips I've drilled into my older sister, who seemed to be forever depressed:

1.) Don't worry about things you cannot control if/when you have no means to change it, stop worrying over it.
    2.) Stop dwelling on the past, even if it was only two minutes ago. Nothing whatsoever that you can do about it now. Focus on a bright and happy future.
    3.) Stop worrying about what other people think about you, or say about you. THAT is their problem, not yours. Be yourself.

It has worked pretty well. :1drink
    cal08 and Little Bike like this.
  19. Mayomoto

Mayomoto Neuroatypical

Oddometer:
    Comeon yall, the hookers and blow suggestion made me spit coffee all over the place, that shit was funny. I don't mind it, but this aint my thread.

Seriously man, fake it till you make it is sound advice. I forced myself to ride yesterday. Had to force myself to get the bike out. Had to force myself get ready. Had to force myself make the decision. Had to force myself to shove aside 37 good reasons not to do it. Rode a 300 mile round trip, raining sometimes, way too far past dark coming home, exhausted and dehydrated this morning, It feels great.

Its called "fighting it" for a reason. I had to fight myself to get out of bed this morning. Right now, fighting getting to my job. Are you going to fight this thing, or let it shove you around? Fuckin fight back!
  20. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    Would a really funny movie help?
    I would think humor would offset depression, if you can find it.

I can not remember what it was, but a long time ago something was on TV that made me laugh so much I was sore from it.
    I can not see being depressed if you laugh like that.

And if I had a serious depression situation, I just might try the mushroom thing somehow, its reported to work.