Riding to beat the black dog of depression?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by B1, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Mayomoto

Mayomoto Neuroatypical

Oddometer:
    Hey yall, heard some really positive and interesting things about some recent clinical trials with psilocybe mushrooms treating depression and MDMA to treat PTSD. Also exciting for me was news of some neural pathway regeneration in TBI patients. These are stage 2, double blind, placebo controlled studies using therapy sessions combined with psychadellics. John Hopkins and NYU. They are using words like "cure". Strong language. And they were talking very brief time frame. 3 or 4 sessions spaced a few weeks apart. Very exciting stuff. Check it out for yourself. TFATK podcast with Aubrey Marcus, C.E.O of Austin based ONNIT, a supplememt and "human optimization" company.

I think I want to try this. Why are these harmless things still illegal, but its ok for me to walk out of Walgreens with enough alcohol to kill me?
  2. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow, have to do some reading.
  3. Mayomoto

Mayomoto Neuroatypical

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I did too, and found little, other than older studies on anxiety reduction in cancer patients, even thats positive. The audio was compelling, the entire podcast might not be everyones flavor, but the bit relevant to this starts about 25 minutes in, lasts for ten minutes or so, then degenerative into silliness, and fight talk.
  4. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    They had a show on NPR and they used words like cure also.

5. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:

Because, corporate profits are more valuable than human happiness and we'll being.

But you knew that.
    KTee, JStory, YJake and 1 other person like this.
  6. Mayomoto

Mayomoto Neuroatypical

Oddometer:
    The funny thing is your body produces dimethyltryptamine, DMT, naturally. It occurs naturally in many plants, and will be interesting to see how those greedy bastards will figure out a way to pollute this whole thing with a synthetic version.
  7. Mayomoto

Mayomoto Neuroatypical

Oddometer:
    Missed that, Radiolab?
  8. BetterLateThanNever

BetterLateThanNever Long timer

Oddometer:
    A less cynical view might be simply that the potency is too inconsistent when left to the 'free' market. I still remember too vividly the experience of my stepson coming home from uni in a full blown psychotic break from 'shrooms, complete with quite frightening paranoid delusions. It took a long time to metabolize that stuff out and get his wheels back in the tracks, and I can guarantee you he was not better off afterward. I can see the benefit of some kind of clinical control over something like this, especially when it looks so promising. I think occasionally the 'powers that be' really are just trying to do the right thing.
  9. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    I suspect there was more to it than you know, because that is not a common thing to have happen.
    Maybe if you could eat a bushel full...
    The wrong ones can kill you, that would be the issue.
    My father and I used to go mushroom hunting for the normal ones you eat, the family had them at Thanksgiving for many years.
    I know the ones we used to get, the deer eat them also, but no way I would pick and eat them now.

Friends and I used the funny ones many times, they were very mild.
    LSD was intense, mushrooms were VERY mild.
    No one we knew had any issues with mushrooms.
    Drinking caused way more problems then the other things we did...

YJake and Mayomoto like this.
  10. Mayomoto

Mayomoto Neuroatypical

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I totally agree, and occasionally they are also trying really really hard to straight up fuck you.
    The mushrooms I'm talking about have never killed or hurt anyone, neither has the weed thats illegal here too. In this case, specifically if you will do some research as to why both are illegal, it was a bunch of greedy racist old white guys trying to get rich by scaring the shit out of everybody.

You have a great attitude toward your dear leaders, and I wish I shared it. I know nothing of your politicians, but here in Texas, USA, altruism in government is pretty rare, as in nobody I know who would be good at that job wants it. Everyone I know personally who has that job is a narcissistic asshole. I'm only bitching about one thing: prohibition. Worked out real good last time.

Other news, I finally found a local therapist through inside referral, and called her today. It was harder than I thought it would be. But I did it. Yesterday riding to meet a client, bumped into an acquaintance I'd forgotten, a chance meeting in a parking lot an hour south of the house, and an unforgettable ride home. I took the long way home to digest our conversation, and found myself again in that rare place, hackles up, chill in my spine, taut and electric, hammering an unknown farm-to-market that ran along the caprock, wound me back home thoroughly pleased, excited about maybe moving forward a big step.
    JStory and BetterLateThanNever like this.
  11. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's great!
  12. BetterLateThanNever

Oddometer:
    Maybe, maybe not. But it's a pretty well documented risk.... the wrong shroom, the wrong person, the wrong dose. I'm just saying I don't see why a little scientific discipline would be so bad. In any case, whatever works is the right answer. The brain is a marvelous mystery.
  13. BetterLateThanNever

Oddometer:
    Nah, my dad is/was a scientist. Pharmacologist for decades, environmental toxicologist towards the end of his career. Not in anyone's pocket (and a rider until he was 80). Rubs off on you, like it or not.

Congrats on finding someone to work with. You sound strong as hell right now.
  14. Mayomoto

Mayomoto Neuroatypical

Oddometer:
    Thank you my frozen friend, that makes me feel strong as hell.
    KTee likes this.
  15. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, we need to ride somewhere together soon.

Keep your eyes up
  16. KTee

KTee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just checking in on folks here. How's the last couple of months treated you?

I'll take my own advice and share: a broken bone in the ankle, hurricane and then a flat tire kept me off the road for several weeks - things didn't get bad for whatever reason, but it was scary not riding for so long, like walking on glass all the time waiting for the fun to break. I did think of this thread a time or two, so hoping you folks are out enjoying the last bits of summer sun.
  17. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good now,most of summer sucked.Half summer of rain killing plans really sucked.Just got back from 2 day ride and feel better.
    KTee and Little Bike like this.
  18. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's funny.I grow medical MJ for 5 people I care give for . Actually helps some people deal with depression and other problems.If I use it I go to a very unhappy place so I don't use it.Wish it worked for me.I'm afraid to do mushrooms or any other drug.
    9Realms likes this.
  19. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    I got out yesterday and rode about a 180 mile jaunt alone- round trip for part of the day. Oddly, I used the excuse one beautiful day this week that I was too tired to go, so I stayed inside.
    The next day was rainy, cold and shitty, and I wished all day I had gone the day before. Yesterday then the weather was pretty decent, but a few blasts of wind which was not the big of a deal.

Hell, I got 62 MPG with a tailwind for part of the day.

But, I stewed while I was riding, thinking I somehow 'did not deserve to get out and enjoy myself' or have fun.
    That's facked up, and I know it's my own doing.

An art project I did from a couple years ago pretty well sums it up. :lol3

collage3 k.jpg
    B1, KTee and Little Bike like this.
  20. nomad_games

nomad_games Long timer

Oddometer:
    Had a perfectly running, comfortable, reliable, fast, and cheap bike that wasn't quite what I wanted. Rode the hell out of it all summer. Bought a bike I thought I'd like more (I do, in certain conditions), when I had had it for a couple weeks and was "certain" it was as reliable as the other one, I sold the first one. Big mistake. A couple days after selling the reliable one, the new one developed a very loud engine noise, seemingly bottom end. Been without a bike for a month now. Been feeling really down this week, maybe that's why. I bought a sweet van and have been doing mountain trips in it, which is fun. Not getting that rush, though.