Riding to beat the black dog of depression?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by B1, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    Had a complete change in meds last week after a couple months of hanging on by the fingernails, definitely kicking in this week, whew! Leaving for the Nevada BDR Saturday, yay!
    B1, 9Realms, Mayomoto and 1 other person like this.
  2. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hang in there and keep doing your trips.
    FormerInmate072021 likes this.
  3. JStory

JStory Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Beautiful
    9Realms and Mayomoto like this.
  4. KTee

KTee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My little brain may not understand it, but I agree!
    9Realms likes this.
  5. KTee

KTee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So it finally happened, you know how you feel it creeping in? Had a great time out last night with a fun guy, awesome dark ride home on the empty highway, easy day at work today -- then BAM!, the sudden urge to crawl into bed and lay motionless, wasting daylight.

I have a morning ride planned for tomorrow, and faithful Therapy always helps when that empty feeling breaks in. This is ironic because I always say the bike takes things away, but she also seems to fill me back up with that calm sense of "everything's alright" or, when I need a bigger kick in the butt, "the hell's your problem?".

If you can't get out tomorrow, someone in our club shared the book "The Perfect Vehicle" by Melissa Holbrook Pierson. I'd highly recommend it to anyone who has ever unsuccessfully tried to article what it means to ride. I mean, really ride, like you need it. This woman, she gets it.

Sorry for the word vomit, everyone have the best freaking weekend you can. I hope it's beautiful, perfect weather out for all.
  6. BetterLateThanNever

BetterLateThanNever Nice, until you're not.

Oddometer:
    Ordered. Just the excerpts in its Amazon reviews were inspiring. I don't connect well with the macho, chest-thumping elements in motorcycling, so I think I'll enjoy this read. Thanks for the tip :)

We are being compensated for our crappy wet summer with an ethereally beautiful September. Gorgeous colours and that wonderful slanting light that makes everything look like a memory. I'm riding five times a week right now... hope your day is as pretty as mine.
    KTee and Little Bike like this.
  7. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    how did the ride go KTee? and is the ankle fully recovered or just good enough for riding on and general life? it's good to hear that you have the upperhand on the black dog most of the time by the sounds of it!

:raindance
  8. KTee

KTee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The ride turned out to be a solo trip, which morphed into a sort of weekend trip. Lots of time to pontificate and reason with myself, and much needed.

The ankle is well enough to ride on the street, but I'm still not back on my Enduro, sadly.

Good news is that the weather held up, and it's left me with no excuses to be feeling crummy. Thank you for checking in!
    Little Bike and B1 like this.
  9. KTee

KTee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Please send me a PM when you get a little ways into the book and let me know what you think!
    BetterLateThanNever likes this.
  10. FormerInmate072021

FormerInmate072021 guest

Oddometer:
    i'm finding that van trips to insane canyons in Utah also beat the black dog of depression...in a different way, of course, but just as effective.
  11. ManxTT

ManxTT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank god for my motorcycle it's keep me alive while trying to kill me too. When dark times hit my life I allways had my bike to empty my mind for a little while about the bullshit that
    entered my life. In the past year I've been in the hospital with two things trying to kill me and lost a very close love by taking her own life. When I got strong enough this summer and
    got on my bike it was the best feeling in the world been riding for over 35 years and that ride up and down my road was pure bliss. Only got a three day trip in this year but it was
    what I needed time to think and start some healing. Take care everbody and ride like the wind.
    ACR, Little Bike, B1 and 2 others like this.
  12. ArmyStrong

ArmyStrong 6F

Oddometer:
    Well said. I am in the moment, my past troubles and current challenges are off my mind when I'm on the bike. I also take many solo freeing multi day trips. The places I visit are smaller type towns, the people I meet don't know me. No one knows my past or the demons in my head..Im simply free to be in the present.
    Little Bike and KTee like this.
  13. DesertPilot

DesertPilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's one of the best books on riding I've ever seen. You're right, Melisa Holbrook Pierson definately gets it! That book always lifts my spirits.

It also make me glad I live in California, where I never need an electrically heated vest :-)
    KTee likes this.
  14. hamiamham

hamiamham Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists office .."

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    BobcatSig and William Wolfen like this.
  15. hamiamham

hamiamham Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I find riding excellent for both my mental and physical health personally..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    William Wolfen likes this.
  16. KTee

KTee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear! I'd also like to point out that the iPhone spell check is the bane of my life in these posts.

Hope you got to ride in that beautiful weather this weekend! When I was out in Aliso Viejo this summer we didn't get to ride, but I did get to visit MSR (definitely a dream come true) and of course, Malcolm wasn't there because he was out enjoying the awesome hills, I'm sure.
  17. KTee

KTee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the multiple posts, and I don't want to hijack the thread, but if anyone else cares to join, I'd like to see the machines that we've been bragging about.

Here's my Therapy, visiting a Civil War battle site about two months ago:

[​IMG]
    Sal Pairadice, BvilleBud, ACR and 4 others like this.
  18. KTee

KTee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did you ride today?
  19. Pokey89

Pokey89 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Been a while since I posted here good to see it still going. Haven't been enjoying riding as much lately. I'm sure it's related to trying to buy a house and the immense stress and anxiety it's put on me. The waiting process for what feels like imminent disappointment is taking a toll. Tried to go out for a few enjoyment rides but the paranoia that I'll do something stupid and mess up my chance at getting this house has been taking the fun out. Hoping I'll get over this funk soon. My trusty steed isn't particularly well either with some rather disturbing sounds coming from the driveline. However I added a little zest to the stable with a r3 and I'm looking forward to blasting it around soon. Cool little cx! Here's donkey

Attached Files:

20. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Neil Peart dealt with depression by riding - for about a year. Wrote a book, I think the title was Ghost Rider.

I've been there some. I also watched my father who was chronically depressed, fight with it too. I had to make him go to the doctor so he would NOT have to go back to hospitalization, which was what he dreaded. He went and he wasn't hospitalized - a small step, but a success to an extent. It was hard.

Had a daughter who struggled with a variety of issues, her mother, my ex-wife, told her to quit being melodramatic. Dumb ass. Daughter's problem turned out to be caused by petite mal seizures. It was real.

Listening and sympathizing/empathizing is what it takes to start to help. Be there, be a friend and provide support.