Riding to History in Virginia

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by The Virginian, Feb 5, 2019.

1. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Chillis,

You don't have to like and post in this thread as all of it a retread from my meanderings thread. It gets to be a hassle chasing around folks threads. Loving your 701 and looking forward towards future adventures! Sure wish I lived closer out there to ride with you.

Here's one for you from Bourbon. :D
    [​IMG]
  2. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Was having a pre-senior moment earlier. The subscription post popped up and I thought it was the BS thread. Don't mind me. Sometimes I don't know if the website is having a glitch as I thought I'd already hit the like on these posts and then realized it was your other thread.

You do have some different pics here though.

I'll keep checking both and pipe down about my confusion!
  3. The Virginian

Oddometer:
    Confusion is always welcome so I'm not alone. :beer
    sealsam and Chillis like this.
  4. luftkoph

luftkoph Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Having rented a place in Pendleton’ putting the word town with Cuckoo is a bit of a stretch
    Chillis and The Virginian like this.
  5. The Virginian

Oddometer:
    QFT (quoted for truth!)
    Chillis likes this.
  6. Kiwi Mick

Kiwi Mick Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice thread..... good to see the bikes are the means of exploring places, rather than being the reason for going somewhere.
    sealsam and The Virginian like this.
  7. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Combining a wonderful slice of American history & gorgeous scenery, all while on one bitchin' bike!!

Awesome Eric.

Yeah it takes a bit of time putting this all together, but the product is so terrifically done.

Thanks for the 'nuggets' you package into this thread!!!!!!!!

:thumb:thumb
    MYUMPH, Kiwi Mick, black 8 and 2 others like this.
  8. MyzTied

MyzTied We need more cow bell Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow I just found this thread. Read the whole thing.....Don't tell my boss.! Lol. I live over the Mountain west of Staunton and now I have so many interesting places to ride! Thanks for the great write-ups.:jump
    The Virginian and Chillis like this.
  9. The Virginian

Oddometer:
    Thank you.
    Chillis likes this.
  10. The Virginian

Oddometer:
    The Laurel Hill House
    William Lindsay deserves to be remembered.

Standing for over 200+ years, the Laurel Hill House was formerly the home of a Revolutionary War hero before eventually becoming a residence for various superintendents of the former D.C. Workhouse and Reformatory.
    [​IMG]

Shortly after the American Revolutionary War, a man by the name of William Lindsay, acquired a 1,000-acre plantation just outside of what today is known as Lorton, Virginia for he and his family to establish their new homestead. Lindsay, who was a part of the Virginia Militia during the Revolutionary War and a contemporary of both George Mason and George Washington, decided he would build his home on one of the more elevated portions of his recently obtained land. Built in 1787, the one and one-half story house he constructed was typical for the colonial time period and would be dubbed “Laurel Hill”, in supposed honor of his family’s original estate back in Northern Ireland. It is rumored that during Lindsay’s ownership, that it was possible to see the Potomac River from the front door of the home (though current urban development and vegetation make this an impossibility today). Sadly, Lindsay would not go on to enjoy his new home for very long, as he would end up passing away from gout in 1792. Lindsay would end up being buried only a couple hundred feet away from the backside of the house, and his Laurel Hill property was soon passed around within his extended family.
    [​IMG]

The home would see many different owners throughout the 19th century, and by 1906, the property would come into the possession of a Washington D.C. attorney by the name of Howe Totten. Totten would utilize the home as a “country house” and also as a place for him to breed his championship Great Danes. It is believed that during Totten’s ownership that the first add-ons were made to the house, including the two room additions to the eastside, the rear room addition, and the wrap-around porch. By 1910, the D.C Workhouse Prison (also known as the “Occoquan Workhouse”) would be established only a couple miles down the road from the Laurel Hill House. Totten was not very pleased with his new neighbors and began sending letters to the editors of local newspapers complaining about the prison’s lack of security, among various other issues. In 1914, the federal government purchased 153 acres of the Laurel Hill property to use for an adjoining reformatory for inmates with longer sentences of the D.C. Workhouse Prison, this purchase would also include the Laurel Hill House.
    [​IMG]

Once under the authority of the D.C. Workhouse and Reformatory, the Laurel Hill House would become the residence of many different staff members of the prison, including mainly its superintendents. It was also during this time of new ownership that the final add-ons to the house would be made, with the inclusion of 3 new room additions to the eastside, a bathroom to the southside, and shed dormers on the 2nd level (a garage and shed were also featured during this time, but both would eventually be demolished in the early 21st century).
    [​IMG]

By the early 1970’s, the Laurel Hill House had been vacated and left abandoned. Pictures from this time period show that the house was still well-maintained, but the many decades of neglect that would follow began to slowly send the house into a state of disrepair. By 2002, the D.C. Workhouse and Reformatory had dissolved, and ownership of the house and 2,400-acre prison property would be obtained by Fairfax County. The entire former D.C. Workhouse and Reformatory property, including the Laurel Hill House, would be established as a historic district and added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2006. The former Workhouse would be converted into a Cultural Arts Center in 2008, and the prior Reformatory is currently being re imagined into a new urban living community known as “Liberty”. According to numerous online resources and reports made available by Fairfax County, the Laurel Hill House has been in consideration to be restored since 2007. The county prepared a Historic Structure Report for the house in 2008, describing three different potential treatment plans listed for its restoration. Today, these plans have yet to come to fruition and the house still stands in a decrepit state seeking many major repairs to hopefully restore it to its former glory.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Laurel Hill House as she was sketched in 1880.
    [​IMG]

I took the Benelli TnT 135 to seek this small piece of history.
    [​IMG]
    GMCNC100, B10Dave, popscycle and 4 others like this.
  11. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Damn ... you nailed the perfect perspective on that first picture!
    Chillis and The Virginian like this.
  12. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Look at those jealous cows!

Are those your interior shots?

Kind of creepy.
    The Virginian likes this.
  13. The Virginian

Oddometer:
    Yes, I took those pics which aren't very good. The home was fenced off and very secluded but vandals have beat down the fence in some areas so I hopped in, snapped a few pics and bounced quickly. Honestly the structure looked sketchy and I wasn't comfortable lingering or venturing in much further then the doorway. Old homes don't really creep me out so I never had that feeling.

Thanks for stopping by and reading.
    MYUMPH and Chillis like this.
  14. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Interesting!! Thanks Eric.
    The Virginian and Chillis like this.