Riding to History in Virginia

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by The Virginian, Feb 5, 2019.

1. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    Stopped for gas and a small block 350 on trike...
    [​IMG]

Checked in the hotel and threw Paul the keys to my WG to have a go. He and all his buddies ride baggers and were bust'n on Philbilly and I about old school. So I zinged back with "any of you wet behind the ears Louis Vuitton handbaggers care to slap some money on the counter I'll make ya look bad on my WG. hehe All in good fun! Guys always bust on each other, it's what we do.

Paul loved it and said I get it, I feel like I'm driving a Winnebago compared to the WG. (wish I had my XR that day...) I never understood the German helmet thing, only thing missing was a paper puncher on top. lol
    [​IMG]

We took some back road and he led us to Sach's covered bridge. They hung Confederates inside this bridge and as the story goes, it's supposed to be haunted by pissed off spirits.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sach's Covered Bridge - America's most Haunted bridge. Read about it here.
    The Sachs Covered Bridge was built around 1854 at a cost of $1,544. On July 1, 1863, the bridge was crossed by the two brigades of the I Corps of the Union Army heading towards Gettysburg. The III Corps also crossed the bridge heading to the Black Horse Tavern. Four days later, the majority of General Robert E. Lee's Army of Northern Virginia retreated over the bridge after the Union victory in the Battle of Gettysburg.

The bridge was designated Pennsylvania's "most historic bridge" in 1938 by the predecessor of the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation, the Department of Highways. After a plan in 1960 to replace the bridge, the Cumberland Township officials voted to close the bridge to vehicular traffic, while leaving it open to pedestrians, on May 9, 1968. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on August 25, 1980.

On June 19, 1996, a flash flood knocked the bridge from one of its abutments and it incurred substantial damage; an iron bridge on the Marsh Creek was also heavily damaged and another destroyed. A $500,000 restoration on the bridge was already in progress before the flood; an additional $100,000 was raised to repair the damage incurred. The bridge was rededicated on July 21, 1997.

Rode through the battlefield. I could spend an entire day here. So much crucial history of how this country unfolded happened right on this very battleground. Each of the states that had men fight at Gettysburg erected monuments for their fighting boys they lost. Some were simply put amazing!

New York
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The view from this monument.
    [​IMG]

I will revisit alone someday and view each of the monuments from our great states.

Read about it here.

Fought
    Union Army: 82,289
    Confederate Army: 75,000

Casualties
    23,049 Union
    28,063 Confederate

To put that into perspective:

- 116,516 American deaths in WW1
    - 405,399 American deaths in WW2
    - 43,891 American deaths in Korean War
    - 58,167 American deaths in Vietnam
    - 624,511 American deaths in the Civil War
    - 51,112 American deaths in Gettysburg alone...

Over 50,000 American's died that day.... In my last job I worked for a 3 star general who is on the board of directors at Gettysburg. We took the staff of 80 people for a private tour of years ago and I believe 50 years after this battle a reunion was held in 1913 and these young men here in their 60s and 70s then, held up cones to their ears because most were deaf to hear the president Woodrow Wilson's recital Lincoln's Address. 50 fights broke out during that reunion with the old guys. Still some strong feelings back then.

Read about it here.

Okay, okay, back to bikes and stuff. Sorry folks...
    BrockEvan, pnoman, B10Dave and 3 others like this.
  2. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    After riding most of the battlefield we decided to head back into town and get a bite to eat.
    [​IMG]

Wall to wall bikes everywhere! It was a complete jam session trying to ride through Gettysburg and the bikes were overheating combined with the super hot weather we roasted. Paul and Sarah took us to Blue & Gray Bar and Grill. OMG, this place was just awesome. Great food at a great price. You had the blue and the gray side of the menu. lol
    [​IMG]

Depending on which side of the menu you ordered from you got a flag representing.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Downtown.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Off to the event. The parking situation at the event. :eek: :crazy:
    [​IMG]

Getting ready for Lita Ford. Lita was in a group with Joan Jett called the Runaways. When they broke up the gals went off and did their own thing. Most of you have probably heard this duet with Ozzy. FWIW, Philbilly and I took an Uber to and from to avoid the inevitable shit show and so we could tip a few.

Here's a small video I took at the concert:
    https://ejohnson-photography.smugmug.com/2014-Harley-Davidson-Wide-Glide-FXDWG/i-xD3BrxL/A

Not much else to share at the event. I'm not a fan of these type of events as they tend to be a shit show. Vendors selling crap made in China with skulls and flames all over it, carny food at stupid prices, etc. Phil wanted to see Lita Ford so we rolled and spend most of the weekend riding the surrounding area. Definitely a good time.

Stopped in Harper's Ferry for gas and re-hydrate.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This was a very big day for Phil as this was his first road trip overnighter for him in over 25 years. I've worked hard to get him back into motorcycling and so far he's having the time of his life.

I'm not a fan of these type of events but it was a huge success because Paul and Sara took us touring some amazing back roads away from the event. Paul and Sara are to be wed in October and I'll be attending and I'm looking forward to seeing friends unite and start their journey in life together. PA has some really, really good tarmac in these parts! I loved seeing Lita as well but for the rest of it , it's pretty much over priced carny food and tents set up selling crap made in China with skulls and flames on it. Would I do this ride again? You betcha!

Peace :jkam

Eric
    DCrider, pnoman, tjzondrz and 3 others like this.
  3. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    In this segment my family rents a house at Nag Head in NC every year and I enjoy taking a casual ride on a my Vespa, gotta love a Vespa at the beach. :raabia

I was just making some final adjustments for my scooter trip to Nags Head, NC using the supplied software Tyre for my TomTom Rider 400. Normally I just hook up the nav to my PC and just click the upload button. Not so this time, it appears that Google maps that Tyre piggybacked off of put the halt to all other apps using Google Maps. So transferring the (.trf) file from Tyre isn't compatible any more.

So I log onto Tyre to see what the issue is.

4 September 2017 by Michel van Hagen
    Due to a problem on the Google server, Tyre is currently not able to calculate any routes. This happened before, and we hope that this problem will be solved quickly.
    Unfortunately, other errors come with this problem, such as errors in creating waypoints.

Via www.myrouteapp.com, you have a good alternative to making routes and exporting to your GPS.
    http://www.tyretotravel.com/

So I called TomToms customer service line which transfers you out to Calcutta... The gent never heard of Tyre mapping, I'm like dude it's your supplied software for the Rider 400. He instructed me to use mydrive.tomtom.com which is kind of a quick fix.

So I rerouted my planned route on MyDrive and was able to port it over to the GPS. My takeaway from this is the Google machine is getting nasty big and squeezing out the small players. I'm very quietly disconnecting myself from Google as I don't agree with this type of practice.

Tyre's proposed route.
    [​IMG]

The same route more or less on MyDrive.
    [​IMG]

The real time traffic issues this evening.
    [​IMG]

And ported over to my Rider 400.
    [​IMG]

Ain't technology grand? :dllama:

(more to come)
    EZMoney and klaviator like this.
  4. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    All packed up and I'll leave at o-dark-thirty tomorrow morning! Woohoo! I'm officially on vacation! 8) :beer :rayof
    [​IMG]
    B10Dave and klaviator like this.
  5. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    I started at daybreak this morning as I knew it was going to be hot today with a 50/50 chance of rain. The day started out with 100% humidity and steaming already. A bit foggy too!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's really tough to 'make' time and pull over to take photos, with that said here a few I took.

I was blessed with many roads with canopy trees.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A gas and restroom stop.
    [​IMG]

I passed through Jamestown, VA to get to the ferry.
    [​IMG]
  6. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    Next I drove up to the ferry and got in line. It's amazing how many times go to take the ferry and it's always on the other side. lol
    [​IMG]

Folks out enjoying the great weather.
    [​IMG]

Seagulls seemed right at home too.
    [​IMG]

Here comes the mighty Pocahontas! I love this pic. :)
    [​IMG]

These fellows were warbling their throats the whole time. Musta been trying to scare up a girlfriend. ;)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The rest of the trip is kind of boring just traveling down the peninsula to Kitty Hawk, OBX area.

My view for this week.
    [​IMG]

(more to come)
  7. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    One of my nieces Erika (named after me :) ) is with child and chose to do the gender reveal the first night here. She and her husband got the envelope from the doc and sealed it and gave it to my sister Kim.

Kim set up a way to reveal for all to get involved.
    [​IMG]

Balloons frilled with pink or blue sparkly stuff. Everyone threw a dart and color spooge flew. The most of what color is the gender.
    [​IMG]

It's a boy! Erika and Chris taking in what just happened. Tears of joy!
    [​IMG]

Checking the sonogram (?)
    [​IMG]

Their doc has a sense of humor. hehe
    [​IMG]

Out for fresh seafood at our favorite place to celebrate!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In the restroom. hehe
    [​IMG]

I had crab stuffed mushrooms and oysters Rockefeller, yum.
    [​IMG]
  8. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    A walk on the beach the next morning with coffee.
    [​IMG]

Breakfast at Stack 'em High.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next stop Ho2OBX waterpart. I've never been to a waterpark before.
    [​IMG]

The concrete was sooooo hot that i scalded my feet in the first 20 minutes. Yikes!
    [​IMG]

We had a blast and road all the slides and loved the surfing on the man-made wave, I could spend all day on that! Sorry no pics of me busting my ass..
    pnoman, EZMoney and klaviator like this.
  9. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dinner at the cottage tonight and a big ol pot of chili with some homemade cornbread. Woohoo! Terrible pic of my sis, she'd be pissed if she saw this.
    [​IMG]

My bday is coming up this week so the famn damily decided to surprise me last night with a bday throwdown.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for stopping by and reading.

(more to come)
    DCrider, tjzondrz, B10Dave and 4 others like this.
  10. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    I won't spam anymore family bologna as it's boring stuff. I'll post my adventure on the ride home tomorrow morning.

My scalded blistered feet have been killing me! :kboom
    [​IMG]
  11. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    Back home and finishing up this page in my meanderings. I won't spam anymore family bologna as it's boring stuff...

Here's a few sunrises, they really are spectacular at OBX.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    pnoman, B10Dave and klaviator like this.
  12. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    A few random shots...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  13. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    Da food! :eatme:raabia:1drink
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    tjzondrz, tastroman and popscycle like this.
  14. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    While out shopping I saw this Mermaid nightlight that gave me nightmares!
    [​IMG]

Sunrise
    [​IMG]

Sunset, as night fell last night I packed my bags for the journey home. Rain was in forecast so I had to make time very early in the morning.
    [​IMG]

5 AM I fire up Bella and kneel to every bike I've owned for 40 years to get us home safely. Kind of a prayer thing between me and my bikes.
    [​IMG]

First stop for gas in Williamsburg. There's a lot of history here that I need to dig into. "America's Historic Triangle", Williamsburg, Jamestown, & Yorktown.
    http://www.history.org/foundation/historic_triangle.cfm

[​IMG]

Overcast skies threatening to rain and canopy trees.
    [​IMG]

Bella has 5,400 hundred miles on her now and she has been rock solid.
    [​IMG]

By the numbers.
    [​IMG]

476 miles
    10.1 hours seat time
    47 mph Average speed
    67 mph Top speed

Nothing epic, just life in the slow lane.

Thanks for stopping by and reading. Life is short, enjoy the ride.

Eric
    tjzondrz, B10Dave and klaviator like this.
  15. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, I don't know if one, really-pissed-off or despairing (depending on the chosen folklore) , woman's ghost rises to the level of the ghosts of some hung confederate soldiers; however, the folks up in Stowe VT would bend your ear about Emily's Bridge being haunted. In any event, we greatly enjoy your thread/posts!
    The Virginian likes this.
  16. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great stuff pops! I learn something new every day. I'll get down this spring to see the VA 611 train, the last J class train remaining and post in your thread. Thanks for stopping by and if your passing through VA, be sure to let me know and I have a decent guest room waiting for you.

Eric
  17. longslowdistance

longslowdistance Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Enjoying your thread, thanks!
    I've done the ferry on a Vespa and several different motos too. Always a pleasure. Waiting for the free ferry lets me enjoy the scenery and meet fellow travelers on motos, bicycles, and cages. Something about the location brings out the cheerful best in many people.

BTW, if you haven't already hit these little gems, as a fellow Civil War buff you might enjoy:
    Cold Harbor national battlefield park in Hanover County. No "lost cause" gauze, just the pure truth about the brutality of civil war combat.
    Newly revised Tredegar Iron Works site in Richmond (military industrial complex of its time, now united with the formerly private and distinct museum of the confederacy).
    The civil war history markers in Hanover County where Meade to the west and Grant further east crossed the Pamunkey river after Lee held them off once again, and before the slaughter of Cold Harbor. Grant never gave up, leading to the siege of Petersburg and the end of the war. Now it's just peaceful soybean and corn fields.

If you ever visit Brandon, Vermont, please check out their veteran's monument. A large portion of the youth of this small town was mowed down in a single day in Cold Harbor. No explanation on the monument, just a lot of names on the same date in June, 1864. Sent chills down my spine.

PS: Love the helmet!
  18. EdM

EdM Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Regarding Gettysburg:

I believe current thinking is the number killed at Gettysburg was closer to 8,000 than 50,000. The higher number indicates casualties - including wounded and missing - in addition to deaths. One could likely spend a lifetime reading books about the Civil War and many of those focus on Gettysburg. I recently read "These Honored Dead" by Thomas Desjardin that investigates many of the stories/legends/myths of the battle including some discussion of the numbers.

Ned
  19. tastroman

tastroman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Blue Crabs, yum!
  20. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    That little crab on the beach sure has got his "camo" down pat. Even the family stuff is interesting Eric. All part of the trip. Gettysburg history lesson was good too.