Riding to History in Virginia

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by The Virginian, Feb 5, 2019.

1. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh, and for Micheal, she's all tucked away at the entrance of the hotel for the night.
    [​IMG]
    Chillis and MYUMPH like this.
  2. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    Just W:eekersW!

Glad to hear that you got out of there unscathed...

As you stated, having that situational awareness gives you the space and time to decide fight or flight... everyone reacts in different manners based on personality, experience, and training... I'll leave it there...
  3. MYUMPH

MYUMPH 'Ol Timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  4. The Virginian

Oddometer:
    Are we having fun yet? 20190228_110724.jpg
  5. The Virginian

Oddometer:
    MYUMPH and klaviator like this.
  6. The Virginian

Oddometer:
    One of my gas stops I have been riding along total devastation from a hurricane. 1000s of acres of trees snapped off, houses torn to pieces, billboards smashed to the ground, etc. In this pic you can see two trees snapped off. 20190228_135545.jpg
  7. The Virginian

Oddometer:
    You gotta love a restroom when you travel on a bike that has coat hooks in the stall! 20190228_112014.jpg
  8. The Virginian

Oddometer:
    Another 80 miles or so and I'm meeting up with @CashCow and a friend for supper. It will be nice to have some company tonight. :)
  9. The Virginian

Oddometer:
    Today was uneventful and my goal was to make it to Newberry, FL to meet up with some scooter friends cashcow and his friend Ken, a very good scooter rider and has done the Iron Butt 2 times and also competed in a couple of Cannonball Rides. They were kind enough to buy me supper and a beverage this evening and put me up for the night.

I started the day off with a hardy breakfast from the Cracker Barrel, what can I say I love their hash brown casserole.
    [​IMG]

Yep, rain again...
    [​IMG]

Not much adventure to share here as I plowed through the rain for 8 hours and roughly 400 miles. This one stretch of road clearly had been hammered by a hurricane as I saw 1,000s of acres of trees snapped off, homes destroyed, and business' with ruins. This went on fo 50 miles and was sobering to see as it felt like a wasteland. In this pic at a gas stop you can see a couple trees snapped off.
    [​IMG]

I finally got to Newberry and met up with cashcow and Ken. The entryway to the place had the moss/ferns flowing from the trees.
    [​IMG]

They treated me to a nice Mex supper and beverages!
    [​IMG]

The three amigos have a great supper.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Roughly 400 miles to go and I'll knock out most of it tomorrow and meet up with Conchshooter in the morn on Saturday.

Thanks for reading!

(more to come)
    Chillis, B10Dave, popscycle and 4 others like this.
  10. The Virginian

Oddometer:
    Checked into a hotel in Naples and will finish this trip tomorrow with 217 miles to go.

Here are a couple pics stolen from cashcow that he posted on MV.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Today was uneventful with really nothing of interest. Amazingly it was calling for rain when I left so I made like a good Catholic and pulled out in a hurry!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ken and Bill were off to a breakfast and were expecting to get wet as well.

I forgot to post this pic last night and I blame that on the margaritas but total miles for yesterday were 373.
    [​IMG]

The Burger has burnt zero oil this entire trip, I check every gas stop. You can't really see in this pic but it's 3/4 full and has remained there for the duration.
    [​IMG]

Stopped at Bob Evans for lunch. Good night it like Seizure World has a jail break and rolled into this joint...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Stats for the day. 317 miles for the day.
    [​IMG]

My nav has been intermittent so these number aren't accurate but will get you in the right church, maybe the wrong pew... Roughly about 1,361 miles total...
    [​IMG]

On a down note, you can see in the Bob Evans pic the muffler cap is missing. It had vibrated loose and started to melt on the muffler. I just removed it and stowed it, I'll order Michael a new one when i get there. I'm super bummed about this...
    [​IMG]

Thanks for read and as always,; life is short, enjoy the ride!

Eric

Tomorrow will be much more rewarding pictures, I promise!
    Chillis, B10Dave and MYUMPH like this.
  11. The Virginian

Oddometer:
    PS: The motel I'm at has a place to eat and a lounge and it's karaoke night! Dayyummnnn, I'm strolling through tall cotton now! :clap:drink:jkam:rayof
  12. The Virginian

Oddometer:
    The scene at the karaoke bar.. gonna be a long night. . 20190301_195719.jpg
    Chillis, B10Dave, black 8 and 2 others like this.
  13. The Virginian

Oddometer:
    Chillis, tastroman, black 8 and 2 others like this.
  14. The Virginian

Oddometer:
    In Key Largo, 84 miles to go.
  15. The Virginian

Oddometer:
    The dollar menu Burger is looking a hell of a lot better than I am considering what we've been through. 20190302_100600.jpg
  16. The Virginian

Oddometer:
    I'll get this thread updated later this evening but I'm here and Michael is super happy about his new ride.
    [​IMG]

A short video that he took.
  17. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Kudos on what you're doing! Also, you are a man of good taste! I plan my longer trip riding routes around Cracker Barrel breakfast stops because of that hash brown casserole. As you well know, it pairs well with eggs, sausage, biscuits, toast and coffee.
  18. The Virginian

Oddometer:
    I just got back from an amazing supper and I'll try to update this chapter in my moto profile.

Today was my lazy day of the trip. Just a couple hundred miles and I will have completed my mission at hand. I first want to apologize for all the type-os and bad grammar during this trip. I have been trying to fend off texts from family and friends, pm's from members on 3 forums, updating 3 forums, updating glympse, trying to answer or thank each and every one of you for your suggestions and help in general. All while standing in the rain with a cellphone pecking away with waterlogged fingers. (that's my excuse and I'm sticking with it)

I woke up very early today wanting to get a jump on the day as I kind of knew the weather would get hot as the day went on. I checked out of the motel and was on the road by 6 am this morning. As I traversed the Everglades the fog set in and was really thick. As in I can't see more than 20 yards thick.
    [​IMG]

Meanwhile I'm passing caution signs of "panther crossing" for many miles. My inside voice was saying, would that be the bees knees if I plow into a panther on the end of this journey? I was treated to an amazing sunrise as I motored on.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As I broke out of the Everglades I was hit with South Florida traffic. All lanes entering Rt 1 turnpike were blocked with no way to access so I turned around and tried from the opposite direction, no joy... So I weaved my way through a bunch of heavy traffic and found another access to Rt 1 a few miles south. As soon as I jumped on the toll road there was a newer Kia on fire in the middle of the road. Huge plumes of black smoke rising! I scooted around that and got on my merry way.

During my run down the peninsula maintaining sane speeds I was getting almost 90 mpg, so I believe cruising at 55 to 60 mph you will achieve 200 miles per tank full with plenty left for reserve.
    [​IMG]
  19. The Virginian

Oddometer:
    I didn't stop to eat as Conchshooter had said there would be a nice meal waiting for me when I arrive. I'm not much of an early breakfast kind of person and if I do have a hardy breakfast I skip lunch.

On one fuel stop I was sitting there giving my butt a break as it was hurting in a big way. As I reflected upon that moment I felt the mighty Burgman 200 was fairing much better than I was after all we have been through.
    [​IMG]

During another fuel stop, again resting my backside... this fellow pulled up on his HD bagger. I greeted him and he asked where I was from. I gave him the Reader's Digest version of the backstory behind this trip. He said, I know exactly why you're making this trip for Conchshooter. He had just come from a memorial for his best friend who was hit a week ago and died. He was on a 250 mile ride trying to clear his head. My heart sank as I digested what he just shared. Here i was having the best ride this day of my entire trip and here he was having the worst ride of his life trying to shake off what has happened in his life. Never judge another man/woman till you walk a mile in their shoes. You just don't know what they're dealing with in life.
    [​IMG]

At one stop (as I'm going stir crazy being alone so much) I had to chuckle for a moment. All my life I have been a a wannabe hardcore Harley rider. I was wearing my SOA hat across America on a 200cc scooter. T'was a good day in my life.
    [​IMG]

I finally rolled up to Michael's home and there he was filming the occasion as I came into view covered on many miles of of slag, rain, and bugs.

Tears of joy crept out of the corners of my eyes as I tried to be manly and pretend they weren't there. His lovely wife took a photo of us shortly after.
    [​IMG]
    Chillis, EZMoney, black 8 and 2 others like this.
  20. The Virginian

Oddometer:
    Michael and his wife took me out for a lovely supper and I had the pan seared scallops with caramelized onions, butternut squash with spinach. Yum!
    [​IMG]

There were crayons on the table for children and Michael started doodling.. Hmmm... I can't imagine where his mind is at!
    [​IMG]

I asked the waitress to take a pic and she happily complied.
    [​IMG]

The stats for today.
    [​IMG]

The stats for the trip (but not accurate as my nav was intermittent). The total miles by my calculation were 1,603. Wow, about half way across the United States! I have a warm feeling come over me when I think about this as a sense of accomplishment. (I know, I'm a geek on stuff like this)
    [​IMG]
    Chillis, tastroman, B10Dave and 3 others like this.