1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Riding to Ujung Kulon National Park West Java

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Bumpy ahead, Jun 2, 2009.

1. Bumpy ahead

Bumpy ahead Bumpy Ahead

Oddometer:

On April 10th Jakarta was still in morning reluctant due to the long weekend holiday after national elections. 4 Riders dispatched from Jakarta off to Ujung Kulon National Park.

Laid across more than 250 km to the South West of Jakarta, the peninsula is home for endangered "One Honed Javanese Rhino". The cloudy day didn't feared the 4 riders to twist the throttle up west. Off Jakarta we entered the palm tree oil plantations in Jasinga. The road quite smooth, the scenery was good but the weather were not good enough.

The track than changed into various type, from tarmac with potholes and stony bumpy road with sands. The light rain showered us near Pandeglang, but it wasn't a long heavy rain. Entering the main road after Pandeglang to Pagelaran the sun dries the rain out. Exhausted and suffering fat loss we were starving to death before encounter a nice food stall near Pagelaran. We took a break several minutes.

Off from Pagelaran to Ujung Kulon we encountered couple gas station but they were out of service due to the lack of electricity. The electricity was down just couple minutes before we arrived. Shit happen!

Running out of gases we rode with uncertain thought, wondering whether any gas station up ahead or not. But thanks God, just around Panimbang we met a bulk of local villagers with many kind of vehicles queuing in medium sized gas station. Having no other option we took the queue line.

I guess this is what local government should give more attention, quoting to the locals, they have experience it well and now get use to it because it happens many times and there were nothing they can do about it.

Sigh, I think, the place is not too far from Jakarta, the capital of the country. But seems to me they were a little bit neglected.
  2. Bumpy ahead

Bumpy ahead Bumpy Ahead

Oddometer:
    With the tank full of gases we rushed to Ujung Kulon, mind if we didn't reach there before dusk. Leaving Panimbang the scenery was changed, from typical mountainous landscape with rice fields to typical sea shore with coconut trees and local fishermen boats in the distance. Excited with the view, we were slowing down to enjoy. The road was also changed too. From smooth tarmac to rugged stony road with sands and macadam. Imagine a stretch of road with such surfaces.

[​IMG]
  3. artnet

artnet i'm a motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    more pic please :p

i wish some day i can go there .... :evil

btw can u tell me the path to go to Ujung kulon from JKT

4. Bumpy ahead

Bumpy ahead Bumpy Ahead

Oddometer:

there are lots of them. You can ride through Pelabuhan Ratu-Muarabinangeun-Cibaliung-Sumur-Ujung Kulon

or

Jakarta-Pandeglang-Pagelaran-Panimbang-Sumur-Ujung Kulon

or

Jakarta-Jasinga-Cipanas-Leuwidamar-Gunungkencana-Kerta-Malingping-Muarabinangeun-Cibaliung-Sumur-Ujung Kulon

The latest one I've been rode through Gunungkencana, not recommended if you ride alone. The track between Leuwidamar-Gunungkencana-Kerta was so rough and in the middle of the jungle. Only few villages there.
    The pics will follow soon, I'm still working with photobuckets.com. :D
  5. Bumpy ahead

Bumpy ahead Bumpy Ahead

Oddometer:
    [​IMG][/IMG]

here comes bogger
    [​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]
  6. Bumpy ahead

Bumpy ahead Bumpy Ahead

Oddometer:
    Just before we arrived to Sumur the heavy rain showered us, falls in large overwhelming quantities. The rain were so heavy that can changed the road into a creek. Carefully we were slowing down and pick the right path and rode up ahead.

The road used to layered with tarmac but now it seems more like a creek rather than a road. Stones and mud everywhere and it comes worse with such a heavy rain. It took us more than half an hour just to rode about 20 miles away. The rain blows onto us rightly. Shit happens though.
  7. Bumpy ahead

Bumpy ahead Bumpy Ahead

Oddometer:
    it's me

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]
  8. Bumpy ahead

Bumpy ahead Bumpy Ahead

Oddometer:
    A friend with Thunder 125 from TRC.

[​IMG][/IMG]
  9. Bumpy ahead

Bumpy ahead Bumpy Ahead

Oddometer:
    [​IMG][/IMG]
  10. Bumpy ahead

Bumpy ahead Bumpy Ahead

Oddometer:
    [​IMG][/IMG]
  11. Bumpy ahead

Bumpy ahead Bumpy Ahead

Oddometer:
    There are only about 3 or 4 home stay or little inn located around Sumur, the nearest sub-regency from Ujung Kulon. But stay-inn with villagers were done good for us.
  12. Bumpy ahead

Bumpy ahead Bumpy Ahead

Oddometer:
    When there is only one way in, there is also only one way out.

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]
  13. Bumpy ahead

Bumpy ahead Bumpy Ahead

Oddometer:
    [​IMG][/IMG]

A view of Ujung Kulon sea shore. We encountered a grave on our way there, a little bit scared but we have learn that the fear doesn't last long.

We thought it was a sacred grave since it was located far from nearby village and in the middle of the jungle. Almost covered with thick bush and grass.
  14. Bumpy ahead

Bumpy ahead Bumpy Ahead

Oddometer:
    [​IMG][/IMG]

Villagers harvesting coconut trees with extended bamboo by joining more than two bamboo and tight a curved blade or dirk like on the tip of bamboo.

I can only amaze with their courage and not afraid of being hit by falling coconuts.
  15. Bumpy ahead

Bumpy ahead Bumpy Ahead

Oddometer:
    [​IMG][/IMG]

Local villager told us that we can not go through to Tanjung Layar Light House by motorcycle because it is separated by dense wet tropical forest. All the path from nearby village only lead us to a dead end.

They told us if we want to go to Tanjung Layar we can go by foot through the jungle and it will take us about 3 days walking or by boat from Sumur about 2-3 hours. Villagers offering guide with IDR 200 thousand for a day and rent a boat for IDR 1 million a day.

We don't have that much time nor the money.
  16. Bumpy ahead

Bumpy ahead Bumpy Ahead

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

a small docks for local fishermen in nearby river. We were talking to a fisherman called Pak Sanip there and ask about what he expect most from government or what he had been suffering most by living in a such remote area.

He told us about the road and electricity. Score both ways. We were agree about the road, we've been through it twice and it was terrible. They've been through it everyday!! So, IMHO, nothing would make us so excessively proud that we have been to Ujung Kulon, why? Compared to local villagers we were only ride for fun, but they experienced such a terrible and long rugged rough road almost everyday.[/SIZE]

But then again, I think government let the road as it is considering that National Park shouldn't have overwhelming visitors and let it be as natural as it can.
  17. Bumpy ahead

Bumpy ahead Bumpy Ahead

Oddometer:
    [​IMG][/IMG]

This is the mascot of the National Park. The gate located near outpost of National Park Rangers. We stopped by there and talked to one of the rangers. He admitted that he had his almost 14 years as a rangers here but he never saw the rhino himself.

So we didn't expect much then. We're only here for 1 day and don't want to go through the jungle by feet.
  18. Bumpy ahead

Bumpy ahead Bumpy Ahead

Oddometer:
    [​IMG][/IMG]
  19. Bumpy ahead

Bumpy ahead Bumpy Ahead

Oddometer:
    [​IMG][/IMG]
  20. Bumpy ahead

Bumpy ahead Bumpy Ahead

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]