Riding US6, east to west, but just in PA

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by c1skout, Jul 27, 2020.

1. NurseBill

NurseBill Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Man, I feel a real bad need to go get lost for a couple days. I did my Rt 6 trip in 2 days, overnight in Wellboro. I kind of wished I would have taken longer. I did almost the same route you did but in reverse.
    c1skout likes this.
  2. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    A nice iron trestle in Punxy.
    DSCN3567.JPG
    colorful Phil
    DSCN3571.JPG

Kind of hard to see, but that's a train bridge running through the trees.
    DSCN3581.JPG

36 dumps me onto 219 south. Look, a curve!
    DSCN3582.JPG

then the 2-lane turns to 4, and I'm almost home.
    DSCN3583.JPG

That's all for the pics. I did stop at a winery outside of Punxy and grabbed a bottle of red for my wife. She hasn't opened it yet, so no idea if it's good.
    I was home before lunch.
    191 miles for Sunday.
    933 miles for the whole trip.

Route 6 isn't what I'd consider your typical good motorcycle road, definitely not the kind I seek out. BUT, it does go through all the different types of terrain that make up PA. Rolling hills, sweeping bends and wildlife abound.
    For the most part the pavement is in decent condition.
    You can explore the history of our coal, timber, and oil production. All mostly now defunct, but still hanging in there.

Like NurseBill stated earlier, I'd do it again.
    B10Dave, BHlvr, NurseBill and 2 others like this.
  3. Jerm21

Jerm21 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I appreciate the ride report. I’m thinking of a similar trip (East to West) in the late summer/early fall.
    c1skout and NurseBill like this.
  4. NurseBill

NurseBill Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is excellent and thank you for the awesome post @c1skout !!

@Jerm21 Just go for it. @c1skout is right, it's not a typical motorcycle road but there is plenty of scenery along the way. These little town that are along the way are interesting as well. I blew through it in a weekend and should have taken longer. There's plenty of little side trips like PA Grand Canyon and French Azilum to check out.

I skipped the part from the Ohio border to Corey really simply because I had never been to Lake Erie. I got off 322 at I think Franklin and headed north to North East PA which is a beautiful little city that smells like grapes due to the Welch's factory there. I stopped at this little beach in Freeport, I still carry that stone I picked up from there in my tank bag. I picked up 6 again in Corey. I didn't go the whole way to Milford instead I dipped out at Lake Wallenpaupak and headed south from there, I had never been to the Poconos either. I was already dealing with having poison ivy then like a dummy quit wearing a jacket and got sunburned too. I think I hit every little coal town after Jim Thorpe ( Mahanoy City,Centralia, Gilberton, Mt Carmel Treverton) until I got back to 11 then 522 to home.
    Jerm21, B10Dave and c1skout like this.