Riding with music

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by TS888, May 13, 2018.

1. TS888

TS888 Deer dodger

Oddometer:
    I tried it yesterday, for the first time in my riding life, which is only about 10 years less than my chronological life. Which is F'in long, cuz I'm old.

I lasted 15 minutes before I stopped, took off the earbuds and put my earplugs in.

I don't know how people do it. I felt like half my senses were shut down.

Pipes > music.
  2. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    As well distracted.

It's something I want to be able to do while riding, but find to not be a good for me.
    Knuckle Buster likes this.
  3. Drop_Center

Drop_Center Long timer

Oddometer:
    Half the reason I ride is to listen to music, people enjoy music in different ways for different reasons. That and some people brains can't do more than a few things at once:lol3
    JeepDawg, yeroc40, 2a2gtis and 14 others like this.
  4. PineLaneRider

PineLaneRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Between Michaux and Tuscarora State Forests
    I just "had" to have music while riding. Got set up with BT buds and a controller and find myself just using my regular ear plugs most of the time anyway. I rarely listen to music in the car, don't know why I thought it would be different on the bike. I did just pick up a BT com set so my wife can talk at me while we're 2 up. Maybe having it in my helmet all the time will make me more music friendly while riding? We'll see.
  5. Rsquared

Rsquared Echo

Oddometer:
    XM satellite radio and Etymotic ear buds, along with cruise control really makes the miles go by fast...
    CrustyAPO, RJAMT, Don03st and 2 others like this.
  6. GeneralGarden

GeneralGarden Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like the speakers Akrapovic makes.
    mitchapalooza, LDHR1, Tor and 8 others like this.
  7. TS888

TS888 Deer dodger

Oddometer:
    A few? Ooooh, listen to Mr. Big Brain! Why don't you just post up your Mensa card, huh?

I feel like I've accomplished something when I complete a thought. Two at once? That's just asking for a headache. :lol3
    Bustakneecap and Vapor_Trails like this.
  8. dddd

dddd Long timer

Oddometer:
    I definitely cannot have a phone conversation with the headset. I tried once and it scared me in 10-20 seconds.
    But music, not an issue. Go figure.

I partly think you are actually "listening" to it, not just letting it play in background, which is what you should do. Find a tune you already know or some instrumental one, not one you barely know nor talk radio. See if it makes a difference.

The other part, you mentioned earbuds. Besides that's often illegal, the sound is probably way to loud to beat the wind noise and your senses panic. Normally, you should have helmet speakers, and use your ear plugs. This allows you to raise the signal to noise ratio without going deaf and while remaining in the calm behind -33dB acoustic sound reduction. That's "how we do it".
    daveinva and gdcpony like this.
  9. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    A big part of my motorcycling entails listening to music as I ride. Mainly on road, but I have speakers in all my helmets for GPS, so I can listen to music or take/make calls wherever I am.

I don’t feel as if it’s a distracting habit and it’s yet to cause me grief.

Since I have a somewhat limited number of tunes, I swap out music—adding or removing songs—every so often.
    willfreely likes this.
  10. Deviant

Deviant aka KTM 1290SAdvR

Oddometer:
    I have music on but I don't pay attention to it. It's not at all distracting. In fact, it can help focus me and I find I ride better and with more fluidity now.

But yeah, if you're the type to actually "listen" to music it could be a distraction.
    JohnnyWaffles likes this.
  11. Deviant

Deviant aka KTM 1290SAdvR

Oddometer:
  12. Clambucket

Clambucket Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm on the fence on this one. Of course, I'm the same person who turns the sound down in my car when looking for a address/ or the like! I do like having the option, but for me it can be a bit of distraction. One thing that gets me is; having your ear buds in, perfect. Then, I'll reach for a vent zipper, or... accidentally yank on the cord and now I have one half in. Shit! So, slabbing it ok, technical riding? Maybe not.
    Tanger likes this.
  13. patmo

patmo Long timer

Oddometer:
    If I’m by myself, I will listen to music. If I’m riding with others, I don’t.

I can’t stand driving in a car without the radio or CD’s playing. 95% of the time it’s just me.
    Dan Diego likes this.
  14. olegbabich

olegbabich Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 I do not leave the house without tunes. Bicycles, Motorcycles, fishing, shop or yard work. I need music.
    Jarlaxle, StevieMac, CSI and 4 others like this.
  15. BetterLateThanNever

BetterLateThanNever Long timer

Oddometer:
    Me exactly. I love listening to music while I ride. One of life’s great pleasures, for me.
  16. VanXR

VanXR nOOb/NooB/noob/NOob/NOOB/ Supporter

Oddometer:
    Music in the cage always. Get in my buddies car and he's got AM news on....That's distracting because you have to listen to what the news is. Music for me is just relaxing but not distracting. Always listening to music on the bike. I'd rather listen to music than yap to a buddy over an intercom. I've answered calls and can't talk for more than to ask if it's an emergency. So far no emergency phone calls....
    Traxx likes this.
  17. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    Bought some helmet speakers yesterday based on a very positive F9 review and a decent number of positive reviews online; got promptly disappointed.

Granted, I wear ear plugs. But, when I removed said ear plugs all I got was wind noise, with a side of music. Maybe it's the source I thought. Nope. Could barely hear it with either phone. Tried a third and same result.

I don't need it to be deafening, but I need it to be audible enough to not play "what's that song." I'll have to try a different helmet and see if it's my helmet.
  18. jay547

jay547 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I listen 100% of the time in the cage but only about 0.05% on the bike. My headset has the built in FM but the reception sucks and if I'm going over 40mph, I can't hear the music anyway. I'm not interested in jacking with my phone for music and I certainly don't want to take or make calls while riding.
  19. Johann

Johann Long timer

Oddometer:
    I tried it once with a friend´s Shoei that was plumbed in with speakers and it was great but also massively distracting in town. I can see the attraction for long motorway drones but it doesn´t work for me. I´m obviously easily distracted and I found my riding style changed from chilled out to final attack on the Death Star depending on the track being played.
  20. vanquisher

vanquisher Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have my music on almost all the time. Sena 10S with helmet speakers and ear buds work for me. The headset allows to easily start and pause the music, or just turn the volume down. In busy places like city centers or having to look for directions I usually turn it off. I also have different playlists for the types of roads, time of day or my mood. From metal, classic rock, blues to EDM.

The only thing I dislike is when artists use sirens in their songs. If a song makes me pull over for no reason, I trow it out of my playlist.
    Navy Chief, Houtexlurker and ACR like this.