Righto. 'Fess up. Who bought a CRF450L?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by FatBoyCrash, Dec 20, 2018.

1. FatBoyCrash

FatBoyCrash Buckle up SpankY!!

Oddometer:
    Like the thread says.. Righto. 'Fess up. Who bought a CRF450L?
    Waddya reckon? How's she go?
    Bombsatb likes this.
  2. kipo

kipo South Australian Tiger Resistance Group

Oddometer:
    Didn't buy one but I did ride one on the weekend and I won't be rushing out with the cheque book. Didn't do a lot for me. It's not your arse or your elbow. Not an enduro bike nor an adventure bike. Under powered as an enduro bike compared to the CRF450X and other 450's however it is light in the front and does steer good. It might have a market to compete against the WR250R etc., for those wanting a light weight adventure bike with few more cc's. To me it's like a modern XR400, ok to ride to work and for a plod in the bush on the weekend.
  3. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    I popped in to the dealership one lunchtime recently - huge dealership here - sells Honda / Yam / Suz / Kaw / KTM / others, and saleschildren don't really have an imperative to talk up articular brands models

Bloke I spoke to this time seemed to be quite switched on (not often the case) - felt the bike wasn't attracting the buyers of EXCs and WRFs - more those looking at DRZs and WRRs, but after some modernisation and a bit more poke - also interest from some of the DR650 buyers

He didn't think it was a huge market compared to the mainstream enduro set, but they have apparently been selling
    FatBoyCrash likes this.
  4. bigredroosta

bigredroosta Long timer

Oddometer:
    Me. I bought one.

As has been already documented here I wasn't impressed with the snappy throttle response making it a bit difficult to handle in traffic, or just sneaking around in the Bush slowly, but was assured by the dealer Honda was aware and looking into answers. Now I don't know where they're looking but no response yet after 4 weeks, in the mean time i put aG2 throttle tamer on and it's a fair bit better. Can say it has plenty of poke , steerrs well, pretty firm suspension, has a solid rear subframe to add some gear. Weird thing, the blinker and horn buttons are swapped over so keep indicating turns with a blast (peep) on the horn. 7.5L tank..... hopeless. They've done a good job damping the vibes and quietning ther noise too. Overall a great platform to build up from, once after market goodies hit the scene
    i4bikes, BygDaddee, Pezz_gs and 4 others like this.
  5. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    Sounds like it was LAMS stock and didnt have the power kit (ECU and inlet manifold) fitted that they were providing for new bikes ?

Cruz, FatBoyCrash and Hoots like this.
  6. flinders_72

flinders_72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's a dual sport/trail bike isn't it?
    FatBoyCrash likes this.
  7. Fearless Whetu

Fearless Whetu Aussi Kiwi

Oddometer:
    A mate has one and I rode it the other weekend. He's had it de - restricted and it has plenty of go. Not like my 501 which will send you into space if you hold the throttle open but plenty of power and lifts the front wheel easily.

It also has longer engine life and less maintainance than the Euro princesses which has to be a huge plus. The dash also has actual information like fuel usage and it has a key !

I thought it handled really well, maybe not with quite the same scalpel-like level of control as the KTM or Husky and the forks felt a little soft (apparently he had softened them down which may explain this). But it held a line nicely and soaked up the bumps really well.

The build quality I think is excellent and it has a solid sub frame for loading gear, the small tank is frustrating but after market options are available and more will come.

In all honesty I thought it was a great bike. Someone above said it was like a new version of the XR 400 and I'd agree with that.

It also has LED headlight and indicators which is really good, the headlight looks trick and is very bright. Much more so than the one candle power headlight in the 501.

IMG_9750.JPG
    Jungle Man, Big Willy, Tomdog and 6 others like this.
  8. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    To sit on, it feels a lot like my old 2014 WR450F

Solid and planted - bare-bones high quality finish - not as skinny as an EXC, and never going to be a race bike

But probably an excellent dual sport - great for fire trails and bush rides - especially those who can't be bothered carting a bike around on a ute
    Blakduk and FatBoyCrash like this.
  9. richo360

richo360 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Word is that Honda have brought in around 1500 of them. Compared to say a KTM 690 of which they bring in 150? per year. Similar bike in many aspects (neither enduro nor Adv as rolled off the showroom floor)
    Id be tipping in a year or 2, Honda will be discounting the hell out of them to get rid of the excess gathering dust.
    Big Willy and FatBoyCrash like this.
  10. Dean Ohlin

Dean Ohlin Long winder

Oddometer:
    Bloke at my local shop (who's up with all the latest terms eg "neo retro café" etc) says it's a chook chaser.
  11. FLICKIT

FLICKIT Long timer

Oddometer:
    So what did the oil change interval end up at? , 5,000 like the WRR?
  12. FatBoyCrash

FatBoyCrash Buckle up SpankY!!

Oddometer:
    Thanks everyone!! Ive had my share of euro princesses and bikes that make more grunt than god. My big red pig (xr650r) is wonderful, but at 50 years old next year I'm looking for something that is reliable and as my time off work is limited, something I don't have to mess with for 10 hrs in the shed after every ride. Really interested in hearing more from owne4s and those that have ridden as time progresses...
    i4bikes, Hoots and bigredroosta like this.
  13. kipo

Oddometer:
    Noooo, don't do it! I got off my XR650R to test ride the new 450 on the weekend and couldn't wait to get back on that big grunty pig. I'm 58 (59 in about 2 weeks) and I think kick starting a motorcycle is natures way of keeping us fit! :lol3
  14. crash n bern

crash n bern Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hang on isnt the XR650R bullet proof reliable?
  15. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    1000K just like every other enduro...

It is based on the new 450X engine (which is based on the 450R engine) with a slightly heavier crank to tame it down a bit, slightly lower compression so you can run shitier fuel and a third ring for less blow by and therefore 1000K oil changes.

It isn't a true trail bike like the WR250R and CRF250L, but not quite an enduro with road legal gear as an after thought, but the engine is still on the "high strung" side of things in terms of service intervals.
    FLICKIT likes this.
  16. kipo

Oddometer:
    Exactly my thoughts, it's not your arse or your elbow.
  17. tHEtREV

Oddometer:
    Yeah but this is a bike built for the American market, the new X (if it was road legal) would be a much better bike for our market.
  18. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    From an Aussie Dirt mag.
    IMG_20181220_122331_01.jpg
    59DEN and Hoots like this.
  19. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Isn't a "stripped-down and race ready CRF450L" just called a CRF450X?
  20. tHEtREV

Oddometer:
    Oh well then it must be true if someone who wrote for a magazine said it.:imaposer

I bet they only had a short ride on it and got most of there information from a press release.

I honestly didn't realise there were so many people here who don't understand how motors work.

An extra ring, some crank weights and lower compression do nothing for longer engine life. This bike is a 450X with road legal gear added, expect the same service intervals as the X, the WR450F, the KTM/Husky EXC range, RMX and KLX450R etc.

Yes you could put a bigger tank on it and ride it to the Flinders/Simpson whatever, but you can do that on the old X, and WR450F or an EXC, but if you honestly think that it can treat it like a CRF250L or WR250R, just because Honda added an "L" at the end of the name, then I have a nice barley used bridge conveniently located over Sydney harbor that I am willing to let go for a bargain price.:lol3
    Bigem, FLICKIT and Night Falcon like this.