Righto. 'Fess up. Who bought a CRF450L?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by FatBoyCrash, Dec 20, 2018.

1. brangus

brangus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've seen them advertised at $11990 in Nth Vic, but I don't know if that is ride away price
  2. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are very-low-km demos (registered) for that price

eg this one
  3. Big Willy

Big Willy Gen. Italia

Oddometer:
    Interesting point Trev...but you forgot to mention the 6 speed box :D
  4. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Maybe before making a bet you may read the full test and find out how long they rode it for, where they rode and other things of high importance to you. Just a suggestion.
  5. GSXR

GSXR Trail Rider

Oddometer:
    "I honestly didn't realise there were so many people here who don't understand how motors work.

An extra ring, some crank weights and lower compression do nothing for longer engine life."

Ladies and gentlemen, you have only 8 days left to beat this for 2018 Condradiction Statement of the Year
  6. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    It is in Dirt Action, it is not much more reliable than a Honda advertisement, the bike has been out around 6 months, so at the very most they may have ridden it for no more than that. In my opinion that really isn't enough time to gauge the longevity of a bike. As I said it will be at least as good as the KTM or Yamaha offerings, but it won't be in the DRZ league (remember the 1000K service intervals and complete overhaul at 3000K), lowering the compression a smidge won't do that.

I'm not claiming it isn't a good bike, I am just pointing out to people that this isn't the magical treat it like a DRZ with the power of a KTM unicorn people have talked themselves into believing it is.

But hey buy one and treat it like a DRZ if you want...
  7. tHEtREV

Oddometer:
    What?
    Seriously you think that is going to turn it into a bike with DRZ service intervals?

I should edit this to say yes a third ring will aid in piston life and slightly increase oil life, but crank weight and compression do nothing for engine life, but that third ring is not going to turn a CRF450X into a DRZ/WR250r/CRF250L like engine life.
  8. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    I'm with ya tREV. Adding a couple of bits of extra shrapnel to a hand grenade doesn't render it inert. The extra ring is the biggie, any extended life will come from that, but extra crank weight is for smoothness and torque. Lower compression could aid engine life a bit I s'pose, but disconnecting 2 pistons in a V8 would extend the life if those 2 sparkplugs too.The service intervals are the giveaway.
  9. Dakar Dan

Dakar Dan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Would the low oil volume be the main contributor to the 1000 km intervals? When moving from Dual Sport/ ADV bikes to dirt bikes, the concept of more frequent oil changes based on hours rather than km is one of the biggest maintenance differences. Along with cleaning & reoiling foam air filters. Changing a litre each thousand km was almost the same volume as 2700 ml every 3000 km in the DR overall.

I think the detuning by means of third ring/ lower compression/ heavier crank or flywheel will mean guys tend to use the meatier midrange more than high revs, which could yield longer service intervals (oil breakdown, blowby & valve clearances etc.) and better fuel economy, if not a longer actual engine life. I reckon Honda engineers may have made these changes in order to dictate maintenance intervals in km rather than hours as a slight marketting advantage.

There’s an interesting thread over in Thumpers about DS vs dirt bikes. The CRF450L is an interesting hybrid that can swing both ways on this spectrum: lighten it up to make it a mellow big bore trail bike or a build it into a wild small bore ADV machine. Kipo sums it up well as a return to the very adaptable road/trail bikes of the ‘80s now that nearly everything else is either an ADV or enduro. It’s a really great choice for a one bike garage. Not a bike I’d actually buy at this point in time but top marks to Honda for giving it a crack. I would have been very close to buying one over a WR450F ten years ago!
    Cruz and Big Willy like this.
  10. FatBoyCrash

FatBoyCrash Buckle up SpankY!!

Oddometer:
    Oh, don't panic boys and girls. The XR650R will never be sold. But went for a coupla trail rides with my Nephew this weekend. He on his light husky stinkwheel and me on the big red pig. I knew it was gunna get ugly when he said "we will just drop down this gully and shortcut over to this other track" I love my big red pig. But 50 kilos lighter and electric start are wonderous things!! Needless to say as I type this the ice pack is on.... :-) 10 years ago I would just buy another husky stinkwheel. Too old fat and slow now.
    i4bikes and Hoots like this.
  11. FatBoyCrash

FatBoyCrash Buckle up SpankY!!

Oddometer:
    Oh, and the counter shaft seal shat itself spewing the oil contents into the enviroment. Yes, I know its a known issue with the XR650. Something that just needs to be changed every 12 months. But one more ride. Not bad for a 15 year old dirt bike. But 15 years on a bike is 15 years...
  12. tHEtREV

Oddometer:
    Yeah, but it won't magically turn it into a DRZ WR250R type bike. It will extend the life a tad but not to the extend some seem to believe.

Don't get me wrong, to me it looks like a great bike, and I think they got a lot of things right, but I wouldn't get it as my only bike, or to use to ride to work on, and now I'm pretty keen to see if we get a new 250X with 6 speed next year.
  13. FLICKIT

FLICKIT Long timer

Oddometer:
    The WR250R only has 1.3L of oil and it does fine with 5000km oil changes, if most of that is at hwy speeds or in heavy sand the oil is looking fairly crappy at 5000, but it doesn't seem to do it any harm... (When I'm not on the road I generally try to do it around 3000km when the oil starts discolouring or the gear changes start getting a bit notchy)
  14. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    Bruce why havent any reports mentioning the likes of the snappy/twitchie throttle? The usual media smooth over?
  15. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    “It also has longer engine life and less maintainance than the Euro princesses which has to be a huge plus.”

Copy n paste from Husaberg.org - “Just done another 1000 kms over the past couple of days. 776 hours and 49000 kms now. Still running well, oil comes out relatively clean. Starting to collect parts for a rebuild. Will use genuine parts.”

This is the FE570 which is based off the XC4 engine, the same in your EXC. Some of us are still living in the past with the likes of longevity and servicing ie valve adjustment for one. There is also a fella on there with 900 hrs

Also, when making comparisons with the likes of ‘enduro’ bikes we need to remember that they are enduro bikes, not the supposed intention of this Honda. Comparisons are fine when we are using them for ADVing/dual sport but we must remember where home is!
  16. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    “Too old fat and slow now.” Good reason to go the “stinkwheel” FBC. Remember, “50 kilos lighter and electric start”
    FatBoyCrash, Cruz and Dukehunt like this.
  17. crash n bern

crash n bern Long timer

Oddometer:
    Trev might not be too far off.
    I read a test some years ago in said mag and when I scrutinized the photos, I could see it was being tested in a small acreage backyard. I kid you not.
    Some years back another journo once commented on working for a well known magazine and on his first test ride when asking about carrying tools or some other, the editor mentioned that they never leave sight of the car.

About the only bike journo I ever trusted was Tony Kirby. Having bought bikes based on his reviews I found him dead on the money every time.
  18. redkat85

redkat85 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That bike had been derestricted. (Dealer demo)
  19. Drop_Center

Drop_Center Long timer

Oddometer:
    Waiting for the supermoto version. In my dreams
  20. ktmgeoff

ktmgeoff Remember it's not a race!

Oddometer:
    Western Creek Tasmania ( sold the farmand moved)
    The old CR250 Elsinore Honda from the late 70s early 80s was twitchy with the throttle too if my memory is correct, you'd think they'd have it sorted by now...:photog