Righto. 'Fess up. Who bought a CRF450L?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by FatBoyCrash, Dec 20, 2018.

1. PomInAus

PomInAus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There’s a guy on a Facebook group in San Diego that just hot 17,000 miles. He adjusted the valves to top of spec on the first inspection and hasn’t had to touch them since
  2. Ron50

Ron50 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Perspective:
    1992 XR600 from new - synthetic oil change every 10 rides, filter every 20, 1 valve adjustment, motor/clutch/gearbox never apart. Mileage unknown as speedo not connected most of the time - NOT to preserve resale value!
    Frankenbike near McKillops.jpg
    benzo and seancampbell like this.
  3. neilc

neilc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    1 of my current bikes is a DR650 and I would expect to do the 5 thousand service intervals as I have done on the last 2 dr650 I have had, and also the same with the drz400 I have had but I am only using them as commuter dirt road day rides not hard core . The reason I would prefer a sub 500 is for the cheaper REG as with meany people on here my ideal bike for what I do would be a more modem 6 speed 450 DRZ for better on road comfort . The DR650 fits the on road but a little heavy off road but life is a compromise .
  4. david61

david61 Queue, a word with 4 silent letters....

Oddometer:
    This. Doesn't matter what it is, regular oil changes are the bestest, cheapest way to a long and happy engine life
    GodSilla and Ron50 like this.
  5. benzo

benzo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    According to the manual you are correct. It is more in line with an enduro bike.
    However, personally I'm just doing 1000km oil changes, cleaning the air filter and washing the bike. Probably a bit of tinkering type maintenance when im bored. When the engine gets to 40,000 km after a few long trips ill probably get a new piston put in it as per the manual. Checking valves is out of my skillset and im not going to bother unless it has problems starting.
    I'm no mechanic and ive only been riding bikes for the last 10 years but this is my naive, inexperienced logic for largely ignoring the suggested maintenance: When i compare how this bike is put together compared with my sherco and my wifes ktm, its not in the same category. The sherco and ktm have weight taken out of every part, where as the honda has fail safe engineering built into every part at the cost of weight.
    Ive done over 10,000km and 300 hours on the high revving 300 four stroke and abused the crap out of it. It gets serviced professionally every 40 hours. Valves havent moved, still plenty of life left in the original top end.
    Based on these 2 facts, I'm thinking the reliability of this honda isnt worth worrying about. So I'm just going to treat it like a ktm 690/dr650 that needs 1000km oil changes and if it blows up in the middle of nowhere - then i've had fun and ill just call it part of the adventure...(and ride a camel the next time)
    PomInAus and Hoots like this.
  6. Auto360

Auto360 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just bought a "brand new" 2019 from Pete's Cycle in Baltimore. $9157.29 out the the door. I ordered a seat concept 3 weeks before I bought the bike and that makes a huge difference.
    1990 in High school I had a 1983 XR500. (smaller bikes before that)That was the beginning of my big bore Thumper ownerships for the next 20 yrs. Then in 2010 I reevaluated my whole riding "career", and downsized...mostly. Bought a Ninja 250 (after having large sport bikes in the past) and bought a new 2008 WR250R in 2010.
    The 07" Ninja turned out to be great fun and toured on it. The WR250 was amazing but...it just didn't have torque and I was always rapping it out. But I had had so many of the big bore Thumpers that none interested me anymore and KTM isn't my thing. V-Strom came along and was nice but so inadequate off-road for my style of riding. Last year I bought a brand new 2018 Africa Twin DCT Adventure Sport. Loved the bike, loved the DCT but sold it for other reasons. (Thats a whole other interesting story). Well, last Sept I found an unbelievable deal on a 2012 Honda Silverwing scooter and immediately rode it from Arizona back to Md. Then it also leads me to my purchase of the 450L. So far love it and to me its way more fun than the WR250. With a just a slight slip of the clutch and right RPM it'll pull a 4th gear wheelie no problem. Never happen on the WR. Anyway, next year I'd like to find a nice lower mileage ST 1300 and eventually, possibly, the Tenere 700.
    But yes, I bought a 450L also...lol
    Blakduk, stumps and benzo like this.
  7. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Sp what are the hot deals on these things at the moment? I'm seeing just under $11k online, but I'm sure there are better deals out there.
  8. ZoomerP

ZoomerP Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I can't speak to AUS pricing, but they've been out long enough that some are showing up used, and a few new 2019s may still be available. To my knowledge, nothing changed between MY2019 & MY2020.
  9. benzo

benzo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got quoted $10,500 ride away yesterday. Starts to make the 250l look a bit overpriced at 7500 ride away i reckon. Even more so when the 250's parked next to a ktm 390 adv for only a thousand bucks more.
    Hoots likes this.
  10. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    That sounds good - and that includes the power-up ECU etc?
  11. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    With the advent of a range of different capacity tanks these things are starting to look like more of a viable option.

Forgive me for being a bit lazy but what is this power-up ecu Sam? I assume it's a factory part.

I was looking at the Honda offroad range yesterday and the weight of a 250 model had me nearly falling over, the only "enduro" they offer is the 131kg 450L and it weighs a shitload less than a 144kg 250L.
  12. Dewi

Dewi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm looking for a 450/500 to use for light ADV duties. This is on the list of potentials.
    Is the advertised "cush drive" just a fancy sproket?
    Is the bash guard worthy or just a token that needs to be replaced with something decent?
    Is the suspension downgraded from Hondas other 450s?
    Whats the oil capacity?
    The Euro bikes are better equiped for performance parts but not necessarily for ADV duties..
    Do I buy a 450L and upgrade performance or a Euro and upgrade ADV capability???
    Just trying to do the sums.
    This seems on paper more ADV worthy than most stripped bare Enduro bikes.
    Have a 990R and will keep it for trips, just want something small for weekenders.
    Also considering KTM 450/500 or Husky but want to buy new and the trend to make them more competition worthy is making them less ADV appealing, such as lighter subframes, carbon etc...
  13. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    Thats not paint, thats burnt rubber. The previous owner burnt an innertube to try and get the effect he was looking for.....whatever that was.
    Cruz likes this.
  14. ZoomerP

ZoomerP Adventurer

Oddometer:
    1. It's not a cush drive; I doubt Honda ever said it was. There's a ring of rubber on the sprocket to dampen chain noise, nothing more.
    2. The OEM skid plate is more of a splash guard and should be upgraded if riding where that matters.
    3. The suspension isn't a downgrade. Same as the 450X.
    4. Iirc, 1.2L or so. An additional 200ml can be added with an aftermarket clutch cover.

Much more information here: https://advrider.com/f/threads/honda-crf450l-mega-thread.1343265/
    Dewi likes this.
  15. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    Do they make a G2 throttle cam or the likes for these yet? That or modify with a chainsaw file. Makes a huge difference to the just ‘off’ throttle stop.
  16. Dewi

Dewi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I'll head over to that thread. My search pointed me to this one, probably because of region.
    The local Honda press release called it a cush drive, hence my confusion.

From Honda
    "The gearbox is a 6-speed – for longer legs on the road – and a cush drive has been added to the 18-inch Enduro spec rear wheel."
    ZoomerP and GodSilla like this.
  17. ZoomerP

ZoomerP Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yep, no cush drive. I've seen reviewers make that mistake, but I hadn't seen it in Honda literature. Thanks.

The mega thread is so long that it's easier to do a search than try to read it all. There was some chatter about a revision of the MY2020 ECU to smooth out the low rpm throttle, but that doesn't appear to be the case.
  18. ktmgeoff

ktmgeoff Remember it's not a race!

Oddometer:
    Western Creek Tasmania ( sold the farmand moved)
    Catalogue that came in farm paper said $3600 price rollback, which is a fair cut in anyone's language.
    Hoots likes this.
  19. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    See if you can snarf a ride on a 450L - it felt very much like my old WR450F - but probably more power - certainly quicker spinning up - traveled much better on gravel road (Lowden Rd), but heap of fun on Bombay FT also - similar ergos to a DRZ - much less intimidating than a contemporary enduro

Apropos of power: the bike seems to be sold stock in Aus with Euro configuration - ie about 23HP - the US variant has about 40HP - the power up kit bring the bike up to US spec - includes new ECU, larger throttle tube and a different intake manifold (I think?)

Unless you had a particular reason for wanting a low-power variant, then I would consider the power-up kit to be part of the purchase cost
  20. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know if I keep saying this it'll become annoying ...

But you need to ride the thing first - I really enjoyed the throttle response - no probs at all - in fact, the fast spin up was one of the things I most liked about the bike - thought it really suited the bike's higher weight - with good suspension (which it has) and that throttle, the weight would only be an issue when you dropped it

But the bloke who owned the bike I borrowed didn't like the throttle, and some others here don't

But you do need to try it first
    ZoomerP and benzo like this.